Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 day notice account closure F up.

Options
  • 05-11-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

We set aside a few bob a couple of years ago in a 21 day notice account. At the time the interest rate was around 2.5 - 3%. Last month I was in the Lucan branch and enquired about the balance on that account and at that stage was told that the current rate being paid on that account was 0.1%. (The fact that we had no communication about the virtual elimination of the interest rate is another bone of contention). The very helpful staff member there agreed that there was no sense leaving it there at that rate and filled in the form requesting that the money be transferred to another account and that the 21 day account be closed. This was a Friday and she said that the branch the account was in, Walkinstown, should have the instruction on Monday.

On the following Monday I received a call from Walkinstown acknowledging receipt of the instruction and looking to confirm that we wished the account to be closed. When I said yes I was told that, as it was a joint account, both signatures would be needed to close the account but that the transfer would be processed regardless. They posted back the form which had been filled in in the Lucan branch for my wife to sign. As I had been told the transfer would not be held up, we didn't treat the return of the form to close the account with any urgency.

It is now 31 days since the instruction was given and there is no sign of the money transfer so I rang today and was told the relevant staff member would call me back. When she called she told me that no notice had been noted on the account and it seemed they were waiting for the return of the form before doing anything at all. I am told that the 21 day period will now only start today and we will not now have the money we expected at the end of last month until near the end of this month.

I have the returned instruction form here in front of me (words will be had with Mrs.Milltown!) with staff initials and dated stamp from the Lucan branch of October 5th. Unfortunately I did not note the name of the member of staff who rang me and told me the transfer would be processed but surely I have a strong case for the 21 day period to be waived this time, as notice was given 31 days ago today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi milltown,

We appreciate you taking the time to post to us. However, this matter will need to be raised directly with the account holding branch for them to look into. You can find contact details for the Walkinstown branch here.

Thanks for getting in touch,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Really?
    Wow, thanks for your help. Why didn't I think of that?
    Glad I took the time to post here now. I was afraid it might have been a waste of my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi milltown,

We understand your frustration regarding your experience and we do apologise if you feel our response was unhelpful. A decision to waive a notice period can only be made by the branch the account is held with.

If you would like to pm us your name and contact phone number, we can ask that a representative from Walkinstown branch contacts you directly to discuss this matter.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement