Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fast and Turn Left

Options
  • 05-11-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am a 24 year old runner, I am an 800-1500m guy. I have been floating around the running scene for awhile, But I haven't improved much over the few years due to injurys, work, traveling.

I run for Tallaght A.C and we have a good little middle distance group emerging so with some consistency the plan is to get down to the low 2mins for 800m and 4.15 for the 1500m. High expectations I know but I gotta try,

I will be starting a new job with Runworx soon so this blog will be also about my work with Runworx as I stat a new challenge.

Without further ado here is my attempt at a blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

LOL, love the title. Good luck with your goals, fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Thanks, great advice for any track runner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with it, you look like you've got back into the swing of things quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck with your log

So started the week well, I went down to my club for a group run. I love going down and joining a group of runners, some I have known for years.

The run itself was a nice clip, starting on the greenhills road, around tallaght village, past the spawell, through firehouse then back up to Tallaght Village and finished at a nice clip, it was a good mixture of young, not so young, and veterans. Its not all the time I get a monday evening off with work. But now with the new job I will get more time to train. It bodes well for the summer.

I am also a member of Westpark gym so after the run I went and joined in for a TRX class, I can't tell you how beneficial using the TRX is, I swear by it at this stage.

I am going to include what runner I run in just to let you know what I am feeling in terms of trainer:

Nike Zoom Elite 5

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, you look like you've got back into the swing of things quick enough.

Thanks Woodle, It hasn't been easier and I am still a long way off, but I have a good group of lads to train with so if we can all stay together and work well with the coach the sky is the limit for the group.
    Keep up the great work with your group. We need more coaches like yourself down there.

Wednesday
    With working in a pub, I work crazy hours... I find it very hard to fit in training. Its easy to get out for a run, but it really hits home when i am 9hours into a 12 hour shift.

Nonetheless I am feeling ok these days in terms of fitness (Nowhere near where I want to be) so I went out for an easy trot. 45mins of running and I felt worse for wear afterward. As I know there are days I wont feel upto training there will be days where I will feel great so you just got to take the good with the bad.

I am really looking forward to starting my new job at Runworx, its going to be a great challenge.
    I have no race plans yet, it has taken me this long to start to get in some sort of shape. I will more then likely run the jingle bells race, unless I can find a different low key road race before then. Maybe a XC race

Thursday
    Ran from my house down to the club, then a few more laps for the warm up. My group are all competing in the Dublin Juvenile cross country this weekend so I was left on my own for most of this session.
    I purposely don't wear watches because I know the times aren't great at the minute.
    But the session went something like this:
    6x400m between 69-72 with the same time as recovery
    Splits:
    67,69,70,70,67,72,*

The first two I had the group with me so they felt grand, but they were doing only 2, then run a lap. The last one was a killer!
    But it wasnt half bad. We then went for a cool down,legs felt fine. I prob could have done more but it was fine for now.

I am considering running the remembrance 5k run this sunday, anyone else doing it?

Friday
    I met up with Ecoli, he is a long term friend and I have ran with him for years. It is great to catch up with him any time. We met for coffee first to discuss our new avenue with work. It is a very exciting time for both of us.

We then headed to Tymon park, we have a usual loop that we do that is around 45mins of running for me and 60mins for him. NowI am not one for pace, distance and time so if you want to know the pace look at his blog. It was handy enough and great to have someone for a run.

Later that night we headed out for a few drinks, a great fridat but a not so great Saturday. I had to work all day, but luckily it was my last day of work. So sunday I had off I met up with a few friends and off I went to Passion Pit.
    I start my new job on monday so I will keep you updated on how things go

Monday
    Am: Cycled to work
    Pm: Ran home from work (45mins)

Today I started my new job in Runworx on the Fonthill Road, It is great to be working in an athlete friendly zone. I can just tell that working here will improve my running. I cut it short tonight as I was starving, I need to just get used to the new working hours.

• Advertisement

Monday

Today I started my new job in Runworx on the Fonthill Road, It is great to be working in an athlete friendly zone. I can just tell that working here will improve my running. I cut it short tonight as I was starving, I need to just get used to the new working hours.

Tomorrow I will run in the AM and join up with my group for a track session

Tuesday
    Am: Ran to work (45mins)
    Pm: Cycled to training
    Session
    1.5mile warm up
    2x1200m, 2x400m
    Splits: 3.49, 3.51, 69, 72
    1.5 mile cool down

I felt crap all day today, when I ran into work my calf was in bits but I had no choice but to just suck it up and continue running. It was fine in work but I misplaced my lunch today so that meant I went most of the day without a proper lunch. So I felt even worse when I got to training, I was meant to do 5x1200m but after the second one I was shot so I joined some of the other group for some 4s, but again after two I was shot. I am still getting used to morning runs, new job, new hours. But I am getting there

Wednesday

Thursday
    Am: Ran to work (45mins)
    Pm: Cycled to training
    Session:
    1.5mile warm up
    3mile tempo @6.50 pace
    4x400ms (70,70,70,68) off 70seconds
    1.5mile cool down

Friday
    Pm: Cycled from work

Saturday
    2mile warm up
    10xTymon hill (around a 300m steep hill)
    3mile cool down

I was feeling really great, so decided to head out for a lil session. I used to this session alot before I went to australia. Its a tough one, but today was such a nice day so I had to head out. Legs didnt feel great warming up, had a niggle in my calf but thanks to a new insole I got from SuperFeet I didnt have any trouble.
    I havent been wearing a watch in sessions just basically run to feel, I felt the first few werent fast but my middle 3-4 were at a decent clip, but struggled then for the last few.
    I was wrecked after that, and wasn't looking forward to running back. Until I met one of the coaches at the club, so I ran with him for a few then headed back. Felt great afterwards, esp after a recovery Kinetica Mint chocolate shake! Damn they taste good.

I have a long run with our group tomorrow and then off to watch the intermediates xc in Tymon. But for now I am going to head out for a nice casual evening. I shall be back tomorrow with photos and an update on tomorrow.

Advertisement