Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Camera Installation Wired or Wireless

Options
  • 05-11-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but maybe not for a large site. I'm looking at buying a solution for a manufacturing plant. Area is fairly big with runs of up to 800 metres in various directions. Looking at both wireless and wired solutions.

3 tenders - one Wireless provider is claiming no issue going wireless once we install signal boosters around the site. Other 2 tenders with a wired solution and wont offer a wireless solution. Wired providers saying that we will have problems with poor quality signals going wireless also some mumblings about data blockers and such like!!

I;m surprised by this with the advances made over the last few years in wireless technology.

Are these companies stuck in the past with a lack of expertise installing wireless solutions or are they right?

Anybody with a view on this would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 C.TECH

In spite of all the advances in wireless technology, wired will always be better. Even with point to point microwave technology, it could be blocked by either natural or human obstacles. Nobody will gaurantee absolute signal perfection indefinitley over a wireless system. Wired is always preferable.

That said, if you have no option but to go wireless, the wireless systems themselves (the expensive ones) are reliable enough that they sell well and are in widespread distribution and Installation.

But given the option, always, always wired, much less maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have used RDT in the past but there's lots that can go wrong with wireless if not done right.
    Wired would be my preferred solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

Wireless is often open to interference from other wireless signals. Iprefer Hard wired

Advertisement