Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nightsaver - dual tariff meter question

Options
  • 05-11-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi -

I currently have a smart meter installed and I micro generate and sell back to the grid.

According to the the meter about 35% of my usage is during nightsaver hours so I need to get a dual tariff meter installed to avail of the cheaper rate.

MY question is (the customer service people couldn't answer me) will this new meter still allow me to sell electricity back to the grid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi emrys,

We're looking into this for you at the moment, but just to be clear; you have a smart meter installed in addition to an import/export meter?

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Thanks for fast reply - sorry for confusion

I currently have smart meter (elster http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZXh5qXXG2FI/0.jpg) installed and I microgenerate with the PV panels and sell excess KW I generate during the day back to the grid. All the electricity I buy (day or night) is at the current regular tariff rate.

I do no have dual tariff meter but would like to install one to avail of the cheaper rates at night time (according to the smart meter about 35% of my current usage is during the night so I would make a signigicant saving on my current bill)

My question to customer service (they could not answer me) this morning was if I ordered the dual meter (i presume it would replace smart meter) would I still be selling electricity I generate back to the grid with the new meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

emrys, I think that meter can be just programmed to record dual tariff, so may not need to swap out.

Davy wrote: »
    emrys, I think that meter can be just programmed to record dual tariff, so may not need to swap out.

ok spoke to customer service again - they say the meter i have (pic above) isnt a smart meter but a standard meter and I will need an electrician to come to my home to get wiring ready for a dual meter before they will come out to install.

Still no answer from them if this would effect my current arrangement (import/export tariff) of exporting to the grid during the day.......

:confused::confused:

EDIT: my meter is the Elster A1140 meter with the designation RM550 which is normally used for single phase whole current Microgen customers.

Thanks for the additional info emrys. Can I ask you to send me your MPRN by PM so we can respond definitively (we need to double check the account and configuration just to be sure).

I will then respond on-thread, if that's ok.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update - I have pm'ed you my mprn number

Hi emrys,

I can confirm that the meter you have installed is dual-tariff compliant so no physical change of meter is required, nor will your selling of electricity back to the grid be adversely affected if you decide to go ahead and activate the Nightsaver tariff.

Apologies on our behalf for any prior confusion. See my PM for further info.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for your help - I have just sent you a PM with the required details to confirm the activation -

Advertisement