Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Craig Levein departs as Scotland Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

He had to go imo. He lost the team a while ago and his negative 4-6-0 tactics didn't do him any favors. Hopefully for Scotland players like Steven Fletcher will play under a new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

In before "David Moyes as next Scotland manager" betting starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lumbo wrote: »
    In before "David Moyes as next Scotland manager" betting starts.

You'd want to be some mug to put money on that.

Fizman wrote: »
    You'd want to be some mug to put money on that.

There's a lot of mugs in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Levein wasnt doing a great job but how the SFA arrived at this decision is farcical. Players, coaches, performance director all saying he needed more time and he did tbh. People saying Strachan should get the job, he'll use the same pragmatic tactics Levein was because Scotland just arent that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can see them going for outsider.

Can see them going for outsider.

I hear Trappatoni is available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BOHtox wrote: »
    He had to go imo. He lost the team a while ago and his negative 4-6-0 tactics didn't do him any favors. Hopefully for Scotland players like Steven Fletcher will play under a new manager.
    Nonsense, various players such as Charlie Adam and others came out over the weekend saying they enjoyed playing for him and that he should stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Owen Coyle maybe?

Steve Keane :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

King Kenny FTW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lumbo wrote: »
    Steve Keane :pac:

Roy Keane? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe give the job to darts player James Wade.
    A winning pedigree with the added bonus that they wouldn't have to change any of their promotional photos or calendars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Nonsense, various players such as Charlie Adam and others came out over the weekend saying they enjoyed playing for him and that he should stay.

In fairness you never hear a player say "I hope he is sacked".

No doubt charlie will be buzzing to play under whoever comes in.

Scotland have a large pick of managers in English football, some young up and coming managers aswell. It will be someone like Strachan though I reckon, maybe Souness as a dark horse.

Scotland have under achieved, in fairness their pick is not all that much worse than ours. With side's like ourselves and Scotland you are crippled if your manager manages to p*ss off players who (despite being petty pr*cks) would be an asset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

True
    Hollywood Adam also tweeted just after the news broke that it was sad to see the Scottish media got their wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Dempsey wrote: »
    I hear Trappatoni is available!

SFA buying out Trap's contract? Now that would be a sweet! I'll even chip in a fiver myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Frankly it is no surprise when the Tartan trannies want a manager out it says a lot, He has made statements about reasons players are not being picked then contradicts himself with his next breath. It will be interesting to see who the numpties at the SFA go for next in saying that they would be better following him out the door

Now he's hardly going to come out saying he's shíte is he?

About 99% of what players say in the media should be ignored. And as for twitter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Now he's hardly going to come out saying he's shíte is he?

About 99% of what players say in the media should be ignored. And as for twitter :D
    To say he lost the team though is just wrong. Im not defending the right or wrong of the decision to give him the bullet frankly if id paid to go to Prague and then saw him play 4-6-0 id have wanted him out back then.

To say he lost the team though is just wrong. Im not defending the right or wrong of the decision to give him the bullet frankly if id paid to go to Prague and then saw him play 4-6-0 id have wanted him out back then.

He's also boring as shíte. Heroin would make him more lively. Any time he's being interviewed I feel tempting to reach for a bottle of Jack covered in a Dunnes stores wine bag, going in to town and drinking it straight on a dumpster in a lane just to cheer myself up.

I'm presuming his apparent lack of motivational skills, mixed with poor results and negative football has meant he has lost the faith of the fans, and the dressing room!

edit: also, ask Stephen Fletcher, twice the player Adam is, what he thought of Levein!

• Advertisement

He's also boring as shíte. Heroin would make him more lively. Any time he's being interviewed I feel tempting to reach for a bottle of Jack covered in a Dunnes stores wine bag, going in to town and drinking it straight on a dumpster in a lane just to cheer myself up.

I'm presuming his apparent lack of motivational skills, mixed with poor results and negative football has meant he has lost the faith of the fans, and the dressing room!

To me boring wouldn't have mattered if he had been getting results but the simple fact he wasn't. As a fan it looked as though the team had no motivation and as I said earlier his team selections were a mystery as for tactics he seemed clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gordon Strachan is the early favorite with Walter Smith and Alex McLeish also strong in the running.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Gordon Strachan is the early favorite with Walter Smith and Alex McLeish also strong in the running.

Be very surprised if Walter Smith took it also the flack he and McLeish would get from a section of the support might make them think twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Be very surprised if Walter Smith took it also the flack he and McLeish would get from a section of the support might make them think twice

The same applies to Strachan does it not?

Walter had the job before and did very well, highly unlucky not to qualify for Euro 2008, finishing 3rd (top 2 qualified) in a group with Italy and France. Went to the last game at home to Italy needing a win to qualify and came within a whisker (beaten 2-1 but the Italian winner was a 94th minute job) with a highly united team and crowd throwing everything at it.

Don't see his potential appointment being a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_qualifying_Group_B

smith and mcleish walked out on the national team job for club jobs afaik, it wont be forgotten

Walter had the job before and did very well, highly unlucky not to qualify for Euro 2008, finishing 3rd (top 2 qualified) in a group with Italy and France. Went to the last game at home to Italy needing a win to qualify and came within a whisker (beaten 2-1 but the Italian winner was a 94th minute job) with a highly united team and crowd throwing everything at it.

Don't see his potential appointment being a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_qualifying_Group_B

I am we'll aware of what Walter achieved but as has been said he left to take the Rangers job and McLeish left to take the Birmingham job

As for Strachan not being popular I assume you mean because he wax the tic manager well most bears I have spoken to wouldn't mind him getting it
    That bit isn't aimed at you Armani ;)

Apologies, two of you are quite right and I'd forgotten that WS actually left midway through that campaign, which not particularly clever (for want of a neutral word).

I should learn not to comment on stuff I know little about !

Apologies, two of you are quite right and I'd forgotten that WS actually left midway through that campaign, which not particularly clever (for want of a neutral word).

I should learn not to comment on stuff I know little about !
    No need to apologise mate
    I don't think Smirh would take it now anyway but McLeish would maybe consider it. I personally would like Strachan but with someone like Joe Jordan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Alex McLeish would probably take it because he hasn't got many other options but he'd be an awful choice.

David Moyes would be their dream appointment but not a chance in hell that he'll leave Everton for that gig. Old Trafford beckons for him unless Mourinho wants it.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Alex McLeish would probably take it because he hasn't got many other options but he'd be an awful choice.

David Moyes would be their dream appointment but not a chance in hell that he'll leave Everton for that gig. Old Trafford beckons for him unless Mourinho wants it.
    They couldn't afford Moyes anyway as I said about McLeish he would probably consider it but for the reasons outlined before I am not sure he would take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He was a sitting duck as soon as he played that 4-6-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

4-6-0 away against a better team. Barca and Spain did it when they were huge favourites and it was ok...

Levein is a good guy, always respect him since that interview after his Dundee Utd team got cheated to high heaven by Rangers and the SFA. Do feel a bit bad for him as even though he made some bizarre decisions, ultimately it was the players being crap that cost him. Look at his last 2 games, both of them he got the formation and selection bang-on. They would have beaten Wales had a perfectly good goal not been chalked off, and Bale not dived for a penalty.

Corholio wrote: »
    He was a sitting duck as soon as he played that 4-6-0

Interesting formation. I don't particularly follow Scotland so I didn't know they had tried it in a game. Did anyone watch that full game? Was it a complete failure? 1-0 in Prague doesn't seem a terrible result.

I watched some highlights on youtube and from the bits I watched there didn't seem to be much of *any* formation just a lot of random crowding and pressing?

BTW those snaps are taken from open play (not set pieces).

kitakyushu wrote: »

Interesting formation. I don't particularly follow Scotland so I didn't know they had tried it in a game. Did anyone watch that full game? Was it a complete failure? 1-0 in Prague doesn't seem a terrible result.

I watched some highlights on youtube and from the bits I watched there didn't seem to be much of *any* formation just a lot of random crowding and pressing?

BTW those snaps are taken from open play (not set pieces).
    I watched the whole game we were a joke the annoying thing is they looked shaky and if he had played any attacking systym there is a good chance Scotland could have taken something from the game

• Advertisement

4-6-0 away against a better team. Barca and Spain did it when they were huge favourites and it was ok...

Levein is a good guy, always respect him since that interview after his Dundee Utd team got cheated to high heaven by Rangers and the SFA. Do feel a bit bad for him as even though he made some bizarre decisions, ultimately it was the players being crap that cost him. Look at his last 2 games, both of them he got the formation and selection bang-on. They would have beaten Wales had a perfectly good goal not been chalked off, and Bale not dived for a penalty.
    Rubbish the players he has at his disposal or could have had are better than Scotland have had in a while in most areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Rubbish the players he has at his disposal or could have had are better than Scotland have had in a while in most areas
    I agree, they are. They still generally lose to better teams or do crap because the players play crap. The effect of a manager in international football is massively overstated, the fact that Scotland got just as bad results when he got everything right goes to show it.

I agree, they are. They still generally lose to better teams or do crap because the players play crap. The effect of a manager in international football is massively overstated, the fact that Scotland got just as bad results when he got everything right goes to show it.

I believe the opposite.

Whilst the players a nation has certainly influences prospects to a certain degree, I think the manager can actually have a greater influence at international level than he can at club level.

So many international teams are just so average or downright bad that it really doesn't take much to rise above them (provided you have the right guy in charge). By comparisons at club football there's glass ceilings that certain clubs can never hope to cross no matter who is in charge.

Lothar Matthaus has thrown his hat into the ring for the Scotland job!

I still think Joe Jordan & Strachan in the job together would be best for Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    Lothar Matthaus has thrown his hat into the ring for the Scotland job!

I still think Joe Jordan & Strachan in the job together would be best for Scotland

I agree actually, although it's hard not to get swung by a name like Matthaus - even if his managerial record isn;t amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement