Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Warning

Options
  • 05-11-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

From British Weather services:
    I'm going to buy my stores of solid fuels now.

Ireland will shiver through a colder-than-normal winter with “significant” snow and bone-chilling -12°C TO -20°C temperatures, forecasters warned last night.

They also said there would be increased transport disruption this winter and a higher chance of a white Christmas in 2012.
    Met Eireann does not issue long-range forecasts and Britain’s Met Office has scrapped its seasonal outlooks after blunders.
    But British Weather Services, which issues Irish weather forecasts for Irish insurers, transport firms and bookmakers Paddy Power, expects a bitter December and January.
    A white Christmas — like those in 2009 and 2010 — has a better chance than usual this year due to blocking high pressure cutting off milder Atlantic air, said the BWS.

Weathermen dashed hopes of a repeat of last year’s mild winter, which saw a balmy 14°C Christmas Day.
    BWS senior meteorologist Jim Dale said: “We’re forecasting a colder than average period from mid-November to late January for Ireland, with significant snow at times.
    “It won’t be surprising to see minimum temperatures fall to -10°C to -12°C and there will be disruption.
    “Road users will need to be very aware of snow hazards.”

Dale added: “There’s a better than average chance of a white Christmas in Ireland this year as the coldest part will be early rather than late in winter, with February expected to see milder Atlantic-influenced conditions.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Cant wait! In the process of buying a 4x4 for the winter and hunting ect so should come in handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

No harm in preparing for such an eventuality. But, since we got our light dusting there a couple of years ago, there have been dire snow boogerman predictions ever since. I'd take them with a boat of salt, if we've gotten any in since then :D Twas 14 degrees Christmas day last year, yet for most of the Autumn and Winter there were absolute hordes of predictors yelling snooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww! I think it's more of a hope than a prediction, a break from monotonous dullness for the weather people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I seen this a couple of weeks ago and with it being so cold the last 10 days id well believe it is true this year
    http://www.stephenoconnor.info/about/latest-news/big-freeze-2012.html#.UJhA94ZqSjz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

When that Donegal postman tells me its going to be a very bad winter and be a white Christmass,then I will believe it.

Anyway I am sorted for fuel and heat,and also for piping hot water through the winter from my thermodynamic solar panel system.House is completly insulated throughout too.:)

Well he cant say if we will have snow for Christmass,but he rekons we,ll have plenty of snow before Christmass.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/23/donegals-famous-weatherman-predicts-snow-before-christmas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Right, I'm taking the Lidl snow chains out from under the stairs and putting them in the boot!

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Right, I'm taking the Lidl snow chains out from under the stairs and putting them in the boot!

You never know when you might need them.;)

Its a shame that planes cant use them.:(:D

DSCF5833.jpg

DSCF5830.jpg

DSCF5828.jpg

IMG_1486-1.jpg

IMG_1504-1.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where and when was that?

BostonB wrote: »
    Where and when was that?

23rd and also 24th December (Christmass Eve) in 2010 sitting on a plane in Dublin Airport.

And up in the mountains up the back of Aughrim in Wicklow.Pic of the moon was from the top of the mountains at night,when snowstorm finally cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ah I thought it was this year.

• Advertisement

This was the snowstorm moving in on us,up on the mountain.

IMG_1595.jpg

And this was over the Windsor area of England on approach to London Heathrow on Christmass Eve 2010.

IMG_1070.jpg

Anyway I hope if we do get snow for Christmass,its not as bad as 2010.

Just a light sprinkling so that the bookies have to pay out,will be fine for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What a great Christmas that was! I spent about 20 minutes with my car partially blocking the road having to dig out the entrance to our house after the snow plough had been by. But did so with a very big smile on my face :D

TBH, I'd place most of my faith with CT over on the weather forum. He called it spot on in 2010 and had me in 50 Degrees North buying a sledge and getting some funny looks about a week before the snow arrived.

Thursday has more rain coming from the Atlantic
    http://news.sky.com/story/1019859/winter-weather-as-snow-hits-northern-uk

Advertisement