Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Ó Suilleabhain

Options
  • 05-11-2012 6:30pm
    Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭

What do you make of Michael Ó Suilleabhain? His music is usually in the Irish/trad sections in the shops but is he considered classical? He played live at the IFTAs so must be getting respect. Seems to have a higher profile than our other composers and has a few recordings on release. Anyone heard of this guy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

SubBusted wrote: »
    What do you make of Michael Ó Suilleabhain? His music is usually in the Irish/trad sections in the shops but is he considered classical? He played live at the IFTAs so must be getting respect. Seems to have a higher profile than our other composers and has a few recordings on release. Anyone heard of this guy?

Yes- he's the professor of music in UL. I've seen him live a couple of times, he's worked with the Monks of Glenstal and Brian Kennedy. I like his stuff, his piano playing is fantastic, definitely trad influences but with more than a nod to classical.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Just listen to Irish Destiny. It's a mix of haunting irish themes in a classical realm.
    Makes my hair stand on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I know of his music too and to be honest Im afraid I dont like it at all, he takes Irish music and adds heavy ornamentation to it.....sorry, but I hope never to have to listen to him again....probably wont happen though as I usually go to the annual Chieftans concert in UL and he plays a big role in this and always performs some of his music at these.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Always thought of him as a bit of a bluff really, knew him when he was in UCC. Always seems to be rolled out for any documentary on Irish culture or Irish music. His music sounds a bit samey to me TBH.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Tend to agree. Have 2 of his CDs and his music is more film/stage music than classical. Seems to be enjoying more success than the genuinely talented Irish composers though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement