Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody see HOW DO! today?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Poor chap was walking around town today in a pair of white jeans and he had completely soiled himself to the rear, wasnt a nice sight.

Can anybody enlighten me as to his predicament? is he an alcoholic is he homeless is he in shelter? is he mentally stable? Does he have family? in which case this thread might have to be stopped? I was with my kids today i felt like i had to go over and see was he alright but i wasnt sure with the kids and didnt know how he'd react?

Poor chap hope he was looked after.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I've had this chap greet me with "how do" many times. He's a harmless poor soul and he always makes me smile when I hear his greeting. I've seen and heard him for many years now and never have I heard anybody say anything bad about the chap. I'd often be in Centra on the quay around 7 am and on a lot of those mornings, he's in there getting a coffee ot tea. Its a great way to start the day, because no matter what time it is, he'll always utter those words. Well, from my experience anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Everybody loves him, he's a legend. From what Ive heard, he is homeless but goes to some shelter a couple of times a week but not everyday.
    I never forget how happy he was during the tall ships festival. Somebody gave him half a box of fags and he laughed and danced so much. Was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Such a lovely man, always brings a smile to see him during the day. I feel sorry for him sometimes and help him whenever I can if he asks for a euro or whatever (which is never very often at all, and he is always so polite and unapologetic) Poor fella, he is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I know him to see and ive often given him a how do but it was sad to see him today in such a mess, poor chap was covered in mess.

I know him to see and ive often given him a how do but it was sad to see him today in such a mess, poor chap was covered in mess.

Sure lad, you weren't to know as any of us are to what is going on his life. If I had seen him in that condition, I honestly don't know how I would have reacted. My heart would have gone out to him, but I'd probably not have had a clue how to react. I'd always be wondering if I was insulting the chap if I approached him and just asked him if he was ok and gave him a few euro, simply because I never saw him put in or out on anyone. The next time I see him though, I honestly will think twice and just see if he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Was chatting away to him one morning. He was telling me about his early life. If he wasn't making it up then me heart really does go out to the poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Did he have a limp

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I don't think talking about him in here is going to help him one bit, in fact I think this thread should be closed.
    If he has a family or not should not be the point, he is a person and I'm sure he's still got some pride.

ikeano29 wrote: »
    I don't think talking about him in here is going to help him one bit, in fact I think this thread should be closed.
    If he has a family or not should not be the point, he is a person and I'm sure he's still got some pride.
    Everyone is a person sure. All that's in this thread is people saying how nice the chap is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JPC2

I originally agreed with Ikeano and felt a bit uncomfortable about the content of the thread but having thought about it further, I believe all the posters on this thread seem sincere and perhaps as a result of this thread it gets a lot of us to think about others who may not be as fortunate as ourselves and attempt to help them(especially coming up to Christmas)

• Advertisement

JPC2 wrote: »
    I originally agreed with Ikeano and felt a bit uncomfortable about the content of the thread but having thought about it further, I believe all the posters on this thread seem sincere and perhaps as a result of this thread it gets a lot of us to think about others who may not be as fortunate as ourselves and attempt to help them(especially coming up to Christmas)
    Yeah that's what I meant. Wasn't been smart with Keano or anything. It's nice to see people asking about someone who is having a tough time.
    One of me mates went into mc Donald's a few times and brought him out a meal. I think that's a lovely thing to do or such a legend

I was open to the idea of the thread being scratched originally but i first asked was there family and does anybody know his situation does he need help or looking after, it was out of genuine concern that i was posting and if it needs to be removed for fear of family being offended or the man being offended then take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I don't think the first sentence is appropriate and should be removed,the rest of it was ok,I had dealings with him when I worked on a building site in the center of town and we used to take care of him in our own way,when it came to xmas he asked at the security fencing for me and he had a box of jelly sweets for us as a thank you he has his pride and is a nice fella.

I just tried to edit it there and i dont seem to be able to, maybe the mods can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Ah he's a legend, as far as I can remember his name is Micheal, he used to be in Tramore in the mornings for breakfast when I was in school and we'd chat with him. Got him a christmas present of clothes one year he was delighted. Lovely man.

Lads, I hope I don’t come across as being condescending or in any way derogatory with the following. A poster mentioned “I believe all the posters on this thread seem sincere and perhaps as a result of this thread it gets a lot of us to think about others who may not be as fortunate as ourselves and attempt to help them especially coming up to Christmas)” Fair play to ya!. A certain tune came to my head when I read the follow up posts to the OP’s (the song is not in any way a reflection on how do, but a simple few lyrics that I was reminded of, after listening to the song after a long time since I last heard it).

Do ye know something? It’s just brilliant that there are so many folk in Waterford who see that people like “how do” are one of a kind. I’d do anything to meet even 20% of the people I meet during any given day that will go out of their way, just to say “well”. For some reason for Michael to say “how do”, seems to be a legend in the making, and that makes up for the other 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Saw him today at Tesco poleberry, never really knew who he was until now. He seemed very relaxed and content if that is the right word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I give him money when ever i see him and more at christmas. We have a think where we have a little discreet hand shake without even stopping walking. He's a lovely, gentle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have no problem giving How Do a few bob when I have it as he would never pester people for money (not that I have ever seen anyway) and he seems a decent skin who lost his way in life. There is another guy around town with a tilt to his head and asks "Have you got a euro??" outside various shops, I gave him 2euros once and he snapped it out of my hand and stormed off! I know he probably isnt playing with the full deck but if he is cute enough to beg and stalk people then he can say "Thank you", the ignorant knob.

Advertisement