Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA/MCITP advise

Options
  • 05-11-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am looking for some good advise please.
    I have the Comptia A+ and Network+ certification completed but I am unsure whether i should do either CCNA or MCITP next or should i go to college part-time and do a course.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated here folks as to what to do and the best way to do it i.e. do I pay €2K for either CCNA/Microsoft certification or just but the book and do it myself or do i go to college for 2-3 years part time (I actually haven't even seen any part time IT courses in GMIT/NUI)

Let the replies come guys and girls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

CCNA can be self-taught but its really hard, but having the N+ would help.

Between CCNA/MCITP it depends on what you want to do. For network/sys admin jobs, you need some form of experience to get it ie desktop support/1st line support etc. Alot of people jump into a junior network admin role with the CCNA though.

I wanted to get a MS cert to just have a IT job of any sort, but you would have to self-teach yourself SQL which is not fun.

Im currently studying for the CCNA. If I cant get a job at all with the A+, N+ and CCNA, ill move to the UK. Not easy getting a entry level IT job in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Well I 100% definatly want to stay in IT as I am currently employed in an IT operations center type role at the moment.

I was looking into some courses in NUI part time but they said I need to have a Degree/Diploma to get in to them so that is why i think the CCNA/MCITP sould be the next step but in your opinion where is the best place to do these courses ~ for e.g. PFH is approx €3K

I would love to get in to the actual fixing side of things......

Define "fixing" for me.

Fixing problem's as in helping users.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Then go with Microsoft Certification

21/25

• Advertisement

Helping users, then yea the MS cert. Physically fixing things like routers etc, the CCNA.

Did you get that job with the Comptia certs? I gave up looking for a job and im just focusing on the CCNA for now.

Kai123 wrote: »
    Helping users, then yea the MS cert. Physically fixing things like routers etc, the CCNA.

Did you get that job with the Comptia certs? I gave up looking for a job and im just focusing on the CCNA for now.

Sorry about the long delay in getting back..... yes I was very lucky in getting a job in IT with the A+ alone.

I have put A LOT put of thought in to it andI think I am going to do the MCSA....so what is the best way for me to fo it.....do I just buy the course material or do I go to the likes of pfh or IACT or New Horizons.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Advertisement