Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Roar... just in general.

Options
  • 05-11-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I've been ploughing through a bunch of my old PS2 games lately with a little bit of Tony Hawk, True Crime: Streets Of LA, and a few others. I found that I kept going back to Bloody Roar 3 any time I had an hour to kill. The more I play it, the more craic I'm having with it. I remember being a big fan of 1 and 2 back on PS1 too, though I only never owned the first one, and the second one seems to have gone awol on me over the years. On the other side of the coin, I though BR4 was complete crap.
    Bloody Roar 3 is eating a bunch of my time lately, because it's simple, fun, ridiculous, and a buttload of craic. I've even got a few mates coming over this week to play it through rose tinted glasses. We're gonna party like it's 2001 :pac:

Aaaaaanyways, I was just wondering what the FGC thought of the Bloody Roar series. To be honest, I can't imagine it getting much love here, but I'm interested to hear folks' views. Did you have a bit of craic with it back in the day, or are you glad the franchise is no swept under the half man/half tiger carpet?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I had a lot of love for the BR series. I had a housemate who got super salty when I bet him at it. Ah, happy days.

They also had a Beastorizer cab in Quirkeys. I think it was the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I loved BR2 as a young lad.

Mechanics weren't the best but a bunch of hard knocks turning into animals with wailing guitars was more than enough to hold my interest.

I thought BR3 and on started to get stupid with the designs though, too many random-ass designs that weren't even animals, kinda defeats the point.

My WoW character was even called Beastorizer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Bloody roar was awesome I have 2 and 3 however my disc for 2 won't work anymore i'm sickened.
    Bakuryu is still the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Everyone seems to be a Bakuryu (mole) fan. Personally, I'm digging a little bit of everyone in BR3. Jenny (bat) is nice and unpredictable, Yugo (wolf) has great looking punch combos that give him a real aggressive feel, and Shina (leopard) is a solid all rounder. The chameleon annoys the hell out of me though.

I agree with what was said above about things getting really stupid though, as the new characters became more generic video game mutants than humanoid animals. Xion basically turns into Guyver, Uranas turns into a mess of horns and fur, and the chick in the 4th game with the blade arm just turned into a really lazy idea. However, I do have a soft spot for the "iron mole"... even though he looks like he just escaped from Dr. Robotnik's crew.

Kinda surprised to see this much BR love here. I had a funny feeling that it would be shunned by a lot of fighting fans. I've always enjoyed it as just good craic though. This (as well as Killer Instinct) needs a reboot, I reckon. I know there were romours of a Bloody Roar 5, but apparently the studio behind the franchise has went belly up.

The Darksalkers gig seems to have kicked into high gear over the last month or so.

• Advertisement

I couldn't imagine BR having a competitive scene, which is pretty much why I didn't think many FGC folks would dig it. Personally though, I;'ve only really gotten into the competitive side of things over the last year or two, but I've enjoyed fighters my whole life. So it doesn't have to be tournament ready for me to really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

cant remember much of bloody roar besides im remember having alot of fun playing it, would prob pick it up if they ended up brining out a HD collection or a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bloody Roar 5 will probably never be.

We had a fake BR5 announcement last October.
    Then, in January this year, Hudson (effectively) died.

So, yeah.
    You can always get a Hudson Shooting Watch.

I hear Cobelcog uses one for Cammy practice.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Bloody Roar 5 will probably never be.

We had a fake BR5 announcement last October.
    Then, in January this year, Hudson (effectively) died.

Yeah, I was reading about Hudson being out of the game there during the week, and also about the Bloody roar 5 hoax. It's a shame though. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of marketing, but it would be nice to see another company pick up the series.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So, yeah.
    You can always get a Hudson Shooting Watch.

I hear Cobelcog uses one for Cammy practice.

Lads, these watches need tournaments built around them, and fast!

Advertisement