Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soup kitchens in athlone opens

• 05-11-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

DOZENS of people flocked to a soup kitchen which opened in Athlone this morning.
    The voluntary venture, Twist, was opened by Oliver Williams who opened his first soup kitchen in Galway earlier this year.
    They are now serving up to 100 customers a day, who are availing of the free hot food.
    Mr Williams says he believes the Athlone venture will prove even more popular with the public.
    "The need for something like this is great here. The response we've had is overwhelming. We've fed up to 20 people so far and it's only our first day. There is a genuine need out there among the public. We are seeing people from all walks of life," he said.
    "Athlone has been badly hit by the recession and a lot of businesses are closing down. We welcome everyone. We try and offer people a place where they can come in and enjoy a meal and have a chat," he added.
    The Athlone venture also incorporates a charity shop where people who wish to help can donate items.
    "We don't take any money for the food or drinks, no matter who is availing of it. That is our policy. But people who want to help can buy something in the charity shop or donate items," said Mr Williams.
    The Galway businessman first opened the free soup kitchen in June of this year in response to the growing numbers of people struggling to make ends meet.
    While living in London in the 1980s he had been assisted by a similar soup kitchen. He told how he had always planned to return the favour.
    Customers began arriving at 10am this morning when the doors opened at the cafe and shop in the middle of Athlone.
    The venture is being supported by a number of local businesses which are donating meat, vegetables and bread each day. Mr Williams praised the support he had received from the local community.
    "We couldn't do this without them, their help has been incredible. They are giving us the freshest of food every day which allows us to do this,"
    For more information on Twist and how to help go to http://www.twistsoupkitchen.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Take a bow Bertie.......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Athlone,oxtail capital of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's pretty cool.

I wonder why there aren't many soup kitchens around the country. Dublin could really do with a few.
    I would be more willing to donate my money to a soup kitchen than give it to some junkie or worse to chuggers...

oh and this: http://heatherkirk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/w1m75.jpg
    BTW isn't that pic by the Stephen's green park?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

http://www.twistsoupkitchen.com/

Fair play to the fellow who opened it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

washman3 wrote: »
    Take a bow Bertie.......:mad:
    Take a bigger bow Sean (Im the victim) Quinn, Fitzy, Fingers and the lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

uberalles wrote: »
    DOZENS of people flocked to a soup kitchen which opened in Athlone this morning.
    The voluntary venture, Twist, was opened by Oliver Williams who opened his first soup kitchen in Galway earlier this year.

Please Sir, can I have some more? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Knowledge economy........ best and brightest..........cloud computing.......green shoots.........turned the corner......... we won't have defaulter written across our foreheads............Lets all climb Croagh Patrick with Trappatoni.
    .......... Soup kitchens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Starbucks are not gonna be happy about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I have an uncle who swears by soup kitchens when he's holidaying in his Manhattan penthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

free meal? Deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Will there be a soup nazi serving people? That would be incredibly cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

if I was independently wealthy that is what Id be doing, or at least Id open a few of them, maybe a couple of all-night ones in Dublin before this winter kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ganly's in Athlone was selling out plasma screen TVs. I was in there once and a guy came in and bought six - "one for every bedroom, one for the kitchen and one for the sitting-room".

'Decking' was a popular topic of conversation. That and the new town centre.

Five years later...ghost town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Why is it repeatedly referred to as a "venture" in the OP. Surely this would imply that it exists for profitable gain, rather than as a charity?

In any case.....mmmmm soupy.

Take a bigger bow Sean (Im the victim) Quinn, Fitzy, Fingers and the lads!

And an even bigger one from the present bunch of failed school teachers.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

washman3 wrote: »
    And an even bigger one from the present bunch of failed school teachers.;)
    Oh indeed.

Where To wrote: »
    I have an uncle who swears by soup kitchens when he's holidaying in his Manhattan penthouse.

Martin Cullen..No..????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Passed by Twists Soup Kitchen in Athlone today.
    Nice place, it used to be a Hairdressers shop.
    Never thought I'd see the day when there would be a Soup Kitchen in Ireland, let alone in my nearest town.
    What next I wonder...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Never thought I'd see the day when there would be a Soup Kitchen in Ireland, let alone in my nearest town.
    What next I wonder...?

Whistle stealing I'd say. They'll probably have to get a helicopter in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What next I wonder...?

Electing Mary O'Rourke a contributory factor ya think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Soup kitchens for the general public and steak kitchens in the Dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I used to work near the soup kitchen on run by the Monks near Smithfield. Yes most instances of people queueing appears to be people down on their luck, but there were others there just for the freebies and then driving off in their cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There were soup kitchens in Ireland during the height of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Eddie hobbs selling his house and moving to athlone as we speak.

Professionals are by no means above abusing this if Im to believe what Ive been told. Ive heard that the rich ones at the top are the biggest tighth0les ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

There were soup kitchens in Ireland during the height of the boom.
    No they were Deli s and selling Breakfast Rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What next I wonder...?

Loads of them in towns all over the country.
    We have one in Dundalk for the last 4/5 years and plenty of people using it too.
    There will be more too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Never mind the soup kitchen....Alfredo's is just down the road. Greatest curry chips in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Never mind the soup kitchen....Alfredo's is just down the road. Greatest curry chips in Ireland.

Only since the cookhouse closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 allison conboy

im really sorry to pour cold water on this issue..

im a shop keeper in galway city
    there is a twist soup kitchen here

in theory im all for it.. great idea..

however heres what i have found.. im trying to stay objective.. id like people to know what ive found and id like to not be labelled a witch for highlighting something which taints the otherwise great idea that is the twist soup kitchen

they are fundraising on shop street without permits through a loophole involving selling pens etc.. ok thats one thing

the other thing is that their method of fundraising is totally unregulated.. their volunteers are known to me as they are vulnerable young people, who i know for a fact have histories of convictions from violent assualts, robbery, petty crime etc..

i also know that these fundraisers are taking 20% commission but are being told to tell the public they are not taking any commission.. i also know that they are digging their hands deep into the money buckets and filling their own pockets as ive seen it with my own eyes

there is no regulation on how they fund.. there is no regulation on what happens to the money when they get back to the soup kitchen

in total.. the goodwill of irish people is being exploited and i find it really damaging that they have no regulation of their fundraising volunteers..or whats happening to the money they recieve.. its a dangerous and unfortunate path for what could otherwise be a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

im really sorry to pour cold water on this issue..

im a shop keeper in galway city
    there is a twist soup kitchen here

in theory im all for it.. great idea..

however heres what i have found.. im trying to stay objective.. id like people to know what ive found and id like to not be labelled a witch for highlighting something which taints the otherwise great idea that is the twist soup kitchen

they are fundraising on shop street without permits through a loophole involving selling pens etc.. ok thats one thing

the other thing is that their method of fundraising is totally unregulated.. their volunteers are known to me as they are vulnerable young people, who i know for a fact have histories of convictions from violent assualts, robbery, petty crime etc..

i also know that these fundraisers are taking 20% commission but are being told to tell the public they are not taking any commission.. i also know that they are digging their hands deep into the money buckets and filling their own pockets as ive seen it with my own eyes

there is no regulation on how they fund.. there is no regulation on what happens to the money when they get back to the soup kitchen

in total.. the goodwill of irish people is being exploited and i find it really damaging that they have no regulation of their fundraising volunteers..or whats happening to the money they recieve.. its a dangerous and unfortunate path for what could otherwise be a good idea

I hear where you are coming from ,but I suspect you are going to get attacked for saying it.The loophole to which you refer is the selling of "tokens" (the pens) as opposed to a bucket collection which would require a permit

• Registered Users Posts: 2 allison conboy

ok fair enough..
    yeah i dont want to be attacked.. im just trying to point something out which i believe to be fundamentally wrong, especially since its peoples hard earned cash which they are giving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is the soup any good? What else does it serve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

ok fair enough..
    yeah i dont want to be attacked.. im just trying to point something out which i believe to be fundamentally wrong, especially since its peoples hard earned cash which they are giving...

I would assume if I gave some homeless/druggie/street person a euro that they would keep all of it rather than a percentage.So I don't think anyone is being ripped off.I think the problem is lowering the tone of the street.Have a chat with the gardai.They can move anyone on regardless of permits,pens etc if they are causing a nuisance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

lazygal wrote: »

Soup with a side of soup and choice of soupy dessert.

Free pint of soup with every soup sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lazygal wrote: »

I'm going to athlone tomorrow, I'll cann in and then report back.

I'll buy something from the shop so I don't feel like I'm taking the piss though.

Are they causing a nuisance though? I mean how are they any worse than any other charity collector? At least when you give money to these people, you can pop down to the place itself and see that your money is being put to good use. I have a lot of respect for what Twist are doing and I hope more opens up for those that need it- and there will always be, regardless of recession or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

And you're telling me this is completely free, no hidden charges eh?

*strokes beard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Connacht Tribune - Connacht Sentinel - Galway City Tribune · 2,856 like this.
    4 hours ago ·

The city’s planning department has issued a legal warning to the operator of the ‘Twist’ soup kitchen on Queen Street to cease operating, as it is an unauthorised development.

City planning?
    Fuck off and die you jobsworth bunch of cunts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement