Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in greystones

Options
  • 05-11-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

My husband and I are currently trying to buy in greystones....what we can't get over is the number of other buyers out there....we've been outbid at least several times in the past few months and at the moment there isn't that many houses out there

Is this 'normal' for greystones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

kaykay27 wrote: »
    My husband and I are currently trying to buy in greystones....what we can't get over is the number of other buyers out there....we've been outbid at least several times in the past few months and at the moment there isn't that many houses out there

Not sure really, firstly we have lived here for around 20 yrs and its a great place to bring up a family in my opinion. houses in the last 10 years out here have been ridiculosely over priced but i suppose that goes for everywhere really. Re lack of houses going on the market you would have to think that the amount of people" trading up " has decreased to a huge extinct, people selling now are sometimes unfortunately those who cannot afford mortgages and in some instances are leaving the country. take regular drives around would be my advise as sometimes people dont go through agents. Would recommend greystones higly as family orientated and good place to live apart from my one gripe, the mess our local politicians foisted on the community ie the shambles that is our "harbour" but thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

This house would have been €350k off the plan minimum. Provided you had a deposit, the mortgage repayments on this house would be well below it's rental. They rent for about €1300. At €250 it's a steal
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=673008

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This house would have been €350k off the plan minimum. Provided you had a deposit, the mortgage repayments on this house would be well below it's rental. They rent for about €1300. At €250 it's a steal

Where are the links please?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=673008

They really renting for that much? I thought the rental had dropped a lot more on those.

I think the reason for there being not many houses is the fact that people cannot afford to sell. We would love to sell but have two problems. The price we get would not cover the outstanding mortgage. This may not be a massive problem if the bank would cover that on a trade up mortgage but we would loose our 0.8 above base tracker which would cost a lot a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

I totally agree there are some amazing bargains out there at the moment.....suppose I'm just surprised at how much demand there is for a property in greystones....hopefully after Christmas there'll be some more houses on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm glad to hear there's good demand and rightly so.
    Even now it's still a good place to live. (It was better before buy hey we can't turn back time)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

read the thepropertypin.com - there's a definite bump in house prices and demand since the spring. Whether this is being caused by the imminent withdrawal of mortgage interest relief, or signs that the market has bottomed out is open to debate. There's definitely a shortage of supply though, as many people can't afford to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Were the ever so wonderful Sherry Fitz involved during these outbids? Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Wouldnt the new property price database not put paid to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Not surprised at all by this. Its a highly desirable place to live between the mountains and the sea and the thrill of city life is still within reach whenever you need it.

I wouldn't live anywhere else now.

We searched for several months two years ago and were lucky that the house we decided we wanted was too quirky for most peoples tastes. We were also lucky that the owners wanted a quick sale. Best of luck with your search - don't give up and you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Were the ever so wonderful Sherry Fitz involved during these outbids? Just curious.

Hmmmm Mystery bidders eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

just been put on market

Funny enough their involved in most......

just been put on market
    The latest is 'just at sale agreed'
    Everything in greystones is at sale agreed at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The latest is 'just at sale agreed'
    Everything in greystones is at sale agreed at the moment

Will never deal with SF again!

76 houses for sale on daft right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

sold! beside me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Will never deal with SF again!

76 houses for sale on daft right now.

Just for my benefit would you explain your concern re SF ?

Advertisement