Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small PC build

Options
  • 05-11-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

After years of making my PCs out of recycled office machines I want to build one using new components. It will be used as a home machine mainly for music management, photo scanning and editing. I want a small unit that will look well on a desk. This is what I have come up with so far:

Item|Price
    Shuttle XPC SH61R4|€176.39
    16GB-Kit Corsair ValueSelect PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24|€58.65
    Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B schwarz|€21.23
    Ultron UHR-225 Basic SSD / HDD Einbaurahmen|€3.23
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic|€87.56
    Hitachi DESKSTAR 7K1000.C 1TB, 32MB, SATA II, 8,9cm (3,5")|€62.06
    Intel Core i5-3470 Tray, LGA1155|€167.61
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€595.72

Would there be much of an advantage having a system that fully supports SATA 600?
    Is a 128GB SSD sufficient for running programs as I plan to use the 1TB HDD for storage?
    I assume the i5 “Box” will not be necessary as the case has a built in cooling system.

Would the onboard graphics be sufficient? I plan on keeping my current 1280x1024 screen (Belnea 1905) and haven’t given much thought to a graphics card.

Any recommendations about fitting a laptop wireless card to a Mini PCIe slot?

1. What is your budget? [€650ish]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Photo scanning & editing/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1280x1024] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [N/A]

9. When are you purchasing? [This month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [N/A]

Is there anything else I’m missing?

Thanks in advance.
    d

Comments

Advertisement