Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda wants to inspect rifle before processing licence?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Applied for first licence a month ago for a CZ455 for benchrest. FO wasnt in that day so I left application with Sgt who said he would pass it to FO.

Followed up with a phone call on Friday, FO never heard of me and told me that my application wasnt on the system! Called back the Sgt. today, he told me that he needs to inspect the rifle first. But the Dealer is based in a different Garda division, so he will get the local Garda to inspect the rifle and report back to him.

Is this common where they want to inspect the rifle? It's a .22LR!

When does the 3 month clock start ticking? When I left in the application or when they acknowledge it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's "uncommon" to want to inspect the rifle. Normally they want to inspect the home for security, etc. A simple call to the dealer would answer all his questions.

Either way he can do it.

As for time. They have three months from the submission of the application. So they have 2 months left before a decision or refusal is needed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

CZ455.22LR wrote: »
    Applied for first licence a month ago for a CZ455 for benchrest. FO wasnt in that day so I left application with Sgt who said he would pass it to FO.

Followed up with a phone call on Friday, FO never heard of me and told me that my application wasnt on the system! Called back the Sgt. today, he told me that he needs to inspect the rifle first. But the Dealer is based in a different Garda division, so he will get the local Garda to inspect the rifle and report back to him.

Is this common where they want to inspect the rifle? It's a .22LR!

When does the 3 month clock start ticking? When I left in the application or when they acknowledge it?
    Hi ,might have to do with the CZ 455 been a switch barrel/caliber .
    Regrads,Tomcat .

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

a letter from the garda, sent to your local garda, or a phone call should be ok, as for the 3 months, i was waiting 12 months shotgun and 14 months for rilfe......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's "uncommon" to want to inspect the rifle. Normally they want to inspect the home for security, etc. A simple call to the dealer would answer all his questions.

Either way he can do it.

I thought it was common, that's the impression I got when I applied! They called out to my RFD just to make sure rifle matched up to details I submitted.

Got the home visit too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I say uncommon because i have heard of, and even gotten the home visit myself, but never have i had nor do i know of anyone that had the rifle they intended to buy inspected before they bought it.

Obviously it happens just not that common. At least to me. I mean a call from the Garda to the RFD to ask if the details are correct would sort it out in a second. As you supply a letter form the RFD with each application the Garda need only check off the details on the letter agaisnt what the RFD tells him. job done.

No RFD would risk his shop, livelihood, etc. by doing anything "untoward".

Anywho, it's only a formality. nothing to be concerned about.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

I would have said this was uncommon previously,

but I know its standard practice in Kilkenny (as I understand it) and also now in Wicklow.

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Scalachi wrote: »

but I know its standard practice in Kilkenny (as I understand it) and also now in Wicklow.

Regards

DB

One would imagine there are enough CZs, Tikkas, Rugers, Sakos etc being licensed that they are pretty standard rifles.

Just my opinion, but seems to be a lad who is trying to justify his wages.

Not Garda bashing, but common sense should prevail, and a FO who is dealing with applications should be sufficiently familiar with firearms, in order to make a recommendation without having to inspect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 clayshooterpl

Wouldn't manufacturer's specification be enough...? It's well known manufacturer so it's hard to imagine that they suddenly start marketing .458 WinMag as cz455 .22lr... But that's just my humble opinion...

I think its more to do with the serial number than the make/model/calibre.

I heard somewhere that even when the new system came in, there were a number of firearms licensed that were lost or mislaid over the years, and it was/is easier to relicense than to admit it was lost or mislaid.

While it is or can be inconvenient depending on how its done (checking Serial number) (IMHO) overall it should improve the integrity of the licenses around the country, but that is only if it was implemented everywhere :(

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Its happened to me several times, its just to check the serial no. and nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I thought it was common, that's the impression I got when I applied! They called out to my RFD just to make sure rifle matched up to details I submitted.

Got the home visit too!
    It seems to be common practice around donegal anyway.
    Nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

I think the worrying thing here lads is that the guards seem to be making this up as they go along.. I've never been asked or heard of anyone who had to have their firearm inspected at the dealers premises prior to the licence being issued for it. The make model and serial number of the firearm is included on the paperwork a dealer issues, should this not be proof enough surely:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Lullymore24

Mezamo wrote: »
    I think the worrying thing here lads is that the guards seem to be making this up as they go along.. I've never been asked or heard of anyone who had to have their firearm inspected at the dealers premises prior to the licence being issued for it. The make model and serial number of the firearm is included on the paperwork a dealer issues, should this not be proof enough surely:mad:

I was in a RFD years ago when I first saw it happen.
    No real Harm as they just double check the numbers.

How many people had the wrong serial number as an "S" was mistaken for a 5 or an "I" for a 1 etc.

They are entitled to inspect your Firearm and Security to verify them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CZ455.22LR

Thanks for all the replies, it now seems like its nothing unusual apart from wondering about how long they will take to actually visit the RFD to do the inspection and given that a different garda division will have to do that and then communicate back with mine. I'm just surprised that they wont put the application on the system first and at least acknowledge it. Anyway, I'll keep following up politely on a weekly basis.

And there was I thinking I was getting something simple - a .22 Bolt Action! Glad I didn't start with a pistol!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Regards

DB
    I think its more to do with the serial number than the make/model/calibre.

I heard somewhere that even when the new system came in, there were a number of firearms licensed that were lost or mislaid over the years, and it was/is easier to relicense than to admit it was lost or mislaid.

While it is or can be inconvenient depending on how its done (checking Serial number) (IMHO) overall it should improve the integrity of the licenses around the country, but that is only if it was implemented everywhere :(

Regards

DB

I'm in Kilkenny and they have been checking that I know of since my first license way back. They check that the serial number and stated caliber as submitted all match with the firearm your licensing. They will inform the station where the RFD/firearm is and send a Garda to look to to see all is OK.

A pain as this can take a few weeks to get a return reply that all is OK, as Scalachi ;) and myself well know. :(:(:(:(

Is it a requirement NO.
    Is it better that they do this YES --- but a phone call to confirm the details by the FO would save time and Garda resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CZ455.22LR

clivej wrote: »
    I'm in Kilkenny and they have been checking that I know of since my first license way back. They check that the serial number and stated caliber as submitted all match with the firearm your licensing. They will inform the station where the RFD/firearm is and send a Garda to look to to see all is OK.

A pain as this can take a few weeks to get a return reply that all is OK, as Scalachi ;) and myself well know. :(:(:(:(

Is it a requirement NO.
    Is it better that they do this YES --- but a phone call to confirm the details by the FO would save time and Garda resources.

Thanks clivej and BTW - I like the website ;)

CZ455.22LR wrote: »
    Thanks clivej and BTW - I like the website ;)

:):):):)

Cheers mate

:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

What are they going to do when you want to import something from another country?:confused::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

juice1304 wrote: »
    What are they going to do when you want to import something from another country?:confused::confused::pac:

Go on a junket:P

The last gun I imported, I was asked a few months after I got it to drop it down to the station to verify the serial number.

Regards

DB

• Advertisement

The last gun I imported, I was asked a few months after I got it to drop it down to the station to verify the serial number.

Regards

DB

Funny that you say that 'cos the only firearm that they didn't check up was my Ruger 10/22 that was imported. I had the license while it was on the way :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

They could also check the barrel lengh, overall length, magazine capacity if internal,etc.
    Nothing to worry about if everything is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Do they also need to check your inside leg measurement?

Shakes head...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Not hey can just ask your GP:D as they are aloud access to all your medical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Same here in UK, if they need to do so for any GOOD reason.

In theory, at least.

On your firearms certificate application, you are required to -

a. Disclose any long-term medical condition that requires prescribed medication - diabetes, coeliac disease etc, or conditions, such as epilepsy/stroke or life-changing disabilities that may or may not have an effect on your ability to control a firearm in safety.

b. Give the name and address of your GP, just in case they require his OK about your state of health.

Interestingly, as far as I know, not a single GP in the UK has EVER agreed to give details of a patient for this reason, probably under the aegis of patient confidentiality.

My own GP, when I mentioned it, said things that cannot be written on this forum.

tac

Advertisement