Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney garni?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

So, I like steak and kidney pie, but I hate the texture of kidney. I've made alternatives in the past (steak and mushroom, etc), but they don't taste the same. Steak pie, without the kidney, doesn't taste right.

So what I generally end up doing is making a steak and kidney sauce, but then remove the bits of kidney before putting it into the pastry.

So, could I just put a whole kidney in (to fish it out later)? I've always been told it's important to take out in the inner white bits, but are they bad, or just not something you'd want to chew?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could you cut it up fine, so you don't actually eat lumps of kidney.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That's a possibility, but I'd nearly want to mince it. You'd still have to do the finicky removal of the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd suggest slicing the kidneys length-wise & removing the core. This is easily done - just snip it out with a scissors or sharp knife. Then you have large pieces of kidney that you can remove after cooking.

Rinse the halves well in running water. Some say that soaking in milk for 20 to 30 minutes tenderises the kidney, but I don't bother to be honest.

Cooking with the core is no big deal, but it can leave quite a bitter taste.

I usually do it all with a knife and end up with quarters, but a scissors sounds handier, might try that next time. I wonder if I cooked it whole, would the bitter taste spread throughout the pie? Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe not, but then again, if you cooked it whole you may not get much of a kidney flavour either.

• Advertisement

I guess I'll just have to try it sometime! I've always been worried that the central core is made of poison or something, as my mother used emphasise so strongly that it had to be removed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I have a Nigel Slater book open on the kitchen table.

He says of the central core: "Left in, the kidney will curl up into a ball as the tendons tighten." So it's partly aesthetic, and partly because the core is tough that we cut it out.

I am starving thinking about Steak and Kidney pie! Maybe some Steak Kidney and Bacon pie.....

I know! I probably haven't had steak and kidney(ish) pie in over a year, but it suddenly became the weather for it.

Made it tonight, I passed my local butcher today and picked up 6 fresh lambs kidneys and a pound of stewing steak, have the whole lot cooked up now with some shallots, onions, garlic and some Worcs. sauce.
    Pastry is defrosting as I type!

I just slit the kidneys in half and cut the core out and then used the tip of the knife to slide under the pale jellylike part of the kidney and cut it out.
    Each half into pieces the size the top of my thumb.
    I'll post a pic when I get it made.
    Mine is probably more kidney and steak!

• Advertisement

I made up the meat Monday night and cooked the pie yesterday (and it was good). That's what prompted me to wonder about just throwing the kidney in whole. Unfortunately I didn't take photos - just ate it!

Advertisement