Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP adress conflict

Options
  • 05-11-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,I occaisionaly get a brown window pop up telling me I have an IP adress conflict and that another computer on this network has the same ip adress.We only have one computer in the house so whats this about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Any chance we can get a screenie of the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

Do you have any other devices at all in the house that connect to the network?

This can usually happen when devices try to receive an IP address from your router at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Any chance you've an iPad connecting to your network?

I've had network problems with an iPad retaining it's assigned IP address even after it expired.

I ended up statically assigning an IP address to the iPad permanently to resolve it.

Any chance you've an iPad connecting to your network?

I've had network problems with an iPad retaining it's assigned IP address even after it expired.

I ended up statically assigning an IP address to the iPad permanently to resolve it.

Does this still happen with modern equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Retnuhtibbar

Tommay wrote: »
    Do you have any other devices at all in the house that connect to the network?

This can usually happen when devices try to receive an IP address from your router at the same time.

No we only have the one computer in the house,the broadband (and I use that term loosely) is a stick pluged into the tower no other devices on the go

• Advertisement

Maybe someone nearby is on your network? Do you live in apartments or a residential area?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a phone, printer, tablet, netbook the list is endless ;) . Try assigning a static IP for the computer in a high range such as 192.168.1.58 which should solve the issue*
    * IP config may vary depending on router and configuration settings

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

No we only have the one computer in the house,the broadband (and I use that term loosely) is a stick pluged into the tower no other devices on the go

Retnuhtibbar - is it just the stick alone you have (a dongle) or is there another box with aerials (router) somewhere else in the house that the tower is connecting to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who provides your broadband, and how?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As above, someone has allocated themselves the same ip address that your router is automatically giving you. If you look at the routers configuration page next time it happens, you should be able to see a list of devices that are connected to your router. If one of them looks like it doesn't belong, someone may be connecting to your network without your knowledge.

Do you know what type of security your modem uses? If it's WEP, change it to WPA. If it is WPA, change the password.

• Advertisement

Kai123 wrote: »
    Maybe someone nearby is on your network? Do you live in apartments or a residential area?
    No I live out in the countryside

yoyo wrote: »
    Could be a phone, printer, tablet, netbook the list is endless ;) . Try assigning a static IP for the computer in a high range such as 192.168.1.58 which should solve the issue*
    * IP config may vary depending on router and configuration settings

Nick
    I do have a printer,but its all wired together no wireless connections at all.How do I go about assigning a static ip ?

Retnuhtibbar - is it just the stick alone you have (a dongle) or is there another box with aerials (router) somewhere else in the house that the tower is connecting to ?
    Just the stick,have been considering getting a booster thingy to position else where in the house to try improve the signal but it will tie us into a 12 month contract and I've me doubts it'll improve things!

biko wrote: »
    Who provides your broadband, and how?
    Voadafone/wireless mobile

MarkR wrote: »
    As above, someone has allocated themselves the same ip address that your router is automatically giving you. If you look at the routers configuration page next time it happens, you should be able to see a list of devices that are connected to your router. If one of them looks like it doesn't belong, someone may be connecting to your network without your knowledge.

Do you know what type of security your modem uses? If it's WEP, change it to WPA. If it is WPA, change the password.
    Don't think I have a router.I only get the warning the odd time its as if it only sometimes occurs

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question,much appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

from what i gather it is a dongle you are using - no router etc . from my limited knowledge i don't know why you would get an ip conflict on a dongle ... someone else might be able to help you there ....

you could try a 3g router ie you plug the dongle into the router - put the router on a window (upstairs if you have) which is facing the mast that transmits to you and the router will send the signal wirelessly through the house . you would need a wifi dongle or cable to connect to the router from the computer tower.

i have a router like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-3G-6200N-Wireless-802-11n-Broadband/dp/B002GNHOCQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1352329452&sr=8-13
    it is okay - needs rebooting every now and then ....
    i would think there are better ones out there but that was the best choice for money i had when i bought it ....

you can check here http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp to see where the masts are in your area ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Kai123 wrote: »
    Any chance we can get a screenie of the window?

This - why is it brown?

Start - Run - Eventvwr (enter) look in system log for dhcp error and see what the conflicting mac address is.

Advertisement