Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 Month Old Teething

Options
  • 05-11-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

My son is teething at the minute and for the last three weeks he screams his head off at night. We have proven and calpol and bonjela. We also have teething rings etc. We cool them in Fridge. Nothing seems to work. He wont allow us to put medicine into mouth anymore. We tried medicine dispensing soother and this did not work either. Spoons.are not allowed.near his mouth either. We hear about Cammomila etc.although cant buy in Ireland etc! I am wondering about saposatries for babies, are there any.benefits to be had from these ? My biggest worry is.I am not doing enough to minamise the pain and stress.for my boy. I love him and it turns me inside out when I see him upset. Please please is there any advice anyone can give. We are.consulting with the medical professional on Wed about paralief. Any suggestions are most welcome

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You can buy chamomilla in ireland - its in the Teetha sachets that chemists sell. :) Our lad loves them. I got the Teetha gel too, because its sugar free whereas bonjela isnt I think.

I got the amber teething necklace (around his ankle under a sock so he cant get at it), and I think its helped, though I was dubious about them, but like you was willing to try anything to give him relief. He cut his first tooth having had only a single spoon of calpol during the day, and a sachet of teetha - when he woke it was there. Same thing a week later with the second. I got mine from this crowd within a few days. Massive improvement from the week before when he was crying for hours and I had maxed out the dosage for neurofen and calpol combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It might be worth a trip to the doctor just to rule everything else out, like ear infections.

A chat to a pharmacist would give you all the details on suppositories etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

We use suppositories regularly with our little girl - shes teething at the moment too and is around the same age. She wouldnt take medicine by mouth until this week - dont know why the sudden change of heart!!:rolleyes:

We use nurofen suppositories as at this age you use one whole suppository every 6 hrs or so. This is the same ingredient as Provin. We find that the paralink suppositories (which is the same as calpol) are a bit more of a nuisance as you need to use only half a suppository - and i cant be bothered with halfing them really!

Anyway - while its not as common a use of medicine administration in ireland its just as effective and even a little quicker than the oral route - so if ur little one wont take it by mouth i think its a good plan!
    Full instructions on the leaflets on how to use them - really very easy and my daughter doesnt mind at all - in fact she laughs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1 for suppositories over oral medicine. They work much quicker and are effective for much longer.

I think Nelsons do a chamomilia which is stronger than teetha and they make it up especially for you. I know the pharmacy in Dublin has closed down but perhaps contact them in uk and they may post it to you.

Also a trip to the gp is a good suggestion just to make sure he's ok. My son got strep throat twice while teething so it can bring on illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

+1 on amber necklack and teetha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Amber Necklack where. Can I get this

liliq wrote: »
    +1 on amber necklack and teetha :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dad11 wrote: »
    Amber Necklack where. Can I get this

www.teethingsos.com

I got a dark green one for my guy, so its not too girly!

pwurple wrote: »
    Please be very very careful if you use those ridiculous beads, ask your GP first, and read the following links.

Teething will never kill your baby, strangulation or choking on those beads may.

http://safetygonesane.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/amber-teething-necklaces-is-your-child-at-risk/

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/989424/fromItemId/972041

http://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/amber-teething-necklaces-helpful-or-hype/

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/amber-teething-necklace.htm

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-health/amber-teething-necklaces-a-choking-hazard-warn-authorities-20120927-26n7l.html[/QUOTE]

I did my research pwurple, and I dont find the beads ridiculous, I found that they helped his symptoms. In 2 days he went from the maximum dosage of calpol AND neurofen baby, plus the maximum amount of Teetha sachets and the gel to a single spoon of calpol plus a teetha sachet with the amber. He cut two teeth with barely a whimper.

I am not someone who readily believes alternative therapies, in fact, I was hugely skeptical but I decided it was worth a try to easy the pain and constant crying, as I simply could not give him any more pain relief without overdosing him.

I consider them safe especially since its never around my childs neck. I cant strangle his ankle. The beads are under a sock and a babygro, and at night under a grobag too. Anytime he is being changed or bathed the chain is removed out of reach until its time to go under his sock again.

I got mine from teethingsos.com as well.

Don't let your child eat it, check it regularly, be sensible, and the risks are minimised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't let your child eat it, check it regularly, be sensible, and the risks are minimised.

Exactly. Be careful with them , and even though they are called necklaces, don't ever put them around a 9 month old's neck.

Which one did you get. Are different anklets more effective over another ?

I got mine from teethingsos.com as well.

Dad11 wrote: »
    Which one did you get. Are different anklets more effective over another ?

Ill post a link this evening... It's just a multicoloured one with uneven beads. I'm going to order another one with flatter beads. I've found as he has grown the uneven beads dig in a bit. I use the necklace, but I imagine it would be a similar issue when it's an anklet under a sock.
    The Baltic amber is supposed to be the most effective. Higher concentration of succint acid apparently. If I remember correctly, all the teethingsos.com ones are Baltic amber.

Many thanks!

Ill post a link this evening... It's just a multicoloured one with uneven beads. I'm going to order another one with flatter beads. I've found as he has grown the uneven beads dig in a bit. I use the necklace, but I imagine it would be a similar issue when it's an anklet under a sock.
    The Baltic amber is supposed to be the most effective. Higher concentration of succint acid apparently. If I remember correctly, all the teethingsos.com ones are Baltic amber.

You're welcome :)

Can you post link ?

You're welcome :)

Here is one of the flat bean types:

http://www.teethingsos.com/products.html/id/30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I have a couple of necklaces but they are too big for my baby and I find them dangerous. I want to get a smaller one or an anklet, are those as effective as the necklaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

lounakin wrote: »
    I have a couple of necklaces but they are too big for my baby and I find them dangerous. I want to get a smaller one or an anklet, are those as effective as the necklaces?

I got the bracelet at first and found it good. OH took it off for bath one day and we couldnt find it. searched everywhere and pulled LO bed apart worried it was in it and terrified to put it her to bed. So i went on to website and decided to buy the necklace as noticed that it said the necklace is better as has more amber (suppose it last longer too).
    We found the bracelet after in the washing machine (OH put it in his pocket). We now put necklace doubled over on one ankle and bracelet on the other. When she was getting her bottom teeth had to give calpol a couple of times at night. She cut both her top teeth fri night gave her calpo around 11.30pm fri night and sat morning had both her top teeth and very sore bum. :(
    But considering she cut both teeth in one night and only needed calpol once this was great.
    Also i find the dribbling has eased off loads now that we have the necklace.

lounakin wrote: »
    They say you need a couple of the anklets for them to be effective. I use the necklace, but doubled up under his sock so he can't get at it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I just want to state for the record: amber will NOT sooth a child's teething. It's nonsense, pure and simple, no ifs ands or buts. If your child seems better after putting it on, it would have been better anyway.

Please don't buy products from these charlatan snake oil salesmen, you're supporting an industry that shouldn't exist, and advertising your gullibility in the process. I know you're tired but seriously, apply the logic circuits for just a second and think about it....

dahamsta wrote: »
    I just want to state for the record: amber will NOT sooth a child's teething. It's nonsense, pure and simple, no ifs ands or buts. If your child seems better after putting it on, it would have been better anyway.

Please don't buy products from these charlatan snake oil salesmen, you're supporting an industry that shouldn't exist, and advertising your gullibility in the process. I know you're tired but seriously, apply the logic circuits for just a second and think about it....

Why do you claim it's nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

dahamsta I think you forgot to add 'in your opinion'. The pros and cons of amber necklaces for teething have been argued to death on this forum so it's probably better to use the adage 'each to their own'. You don't see any benefit in them, others do. That's what makes life interesting. It'd be boring if we all agreed on everything!

Dahamsta may have worded it strongly, but surely doesn't need to add 'in my opinion'. we are on a message board, I'm pretty sure everything anyone writes here is their opinion. Every post on the whole site would need to prefaced with it.

Amber necklaces came into fashion from a couple of celeb babies wearing them, and magazines picking up on it. There is no ancient wisdom, it's a noughties fad. They are in the same league of effectiveness for teething as tarot cards and homeopathy (except with the added strangulation risk).

Plenty of people swear by zodiac too, and as long as it does no harm, off with them. Each to their own, as long as we are all aware that it is in that genre of items, not some kind of actual medical device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

In Ben Goldacre's book, 'Bad Science', he refers to an effect and the name of it escapes me - basically, his contention is that we turn to homeopathy or alternative cures when pain and discomfort are at their worst or nearly at their worst. We take something and the symptoms, because they are at their worst, begin to abate - the only thing that can happen. We then credit the 'cure'. Later, we take it because it worked, we expect it to work and our perception is that it worked.

I'd be skeptical about the Teetha powders too.

That effect is called "regression to the mean'. You resort to the alternative items at the very worst point, when it is going to get better naturally anyway. Item is then associated with relief in your mind. It is a strong effect, you have seen it with your own eyes after all. Same thing is seen with arnica for bruising, and all the alternative treatments for the common cold.

That effect is called "regression to the mean'. You resort to the alternative items at the very worst point, when it is going to get better naturally anyway. Item is then associated with relief in your mind. It is a strong effect, you have seen it with your own eyes after all. Same thing is seen with arnica for bruising, and all the alternative treatments for the common cold.

In something like teething though, it will reach a "peak" numerous times as more teeth come through, so I'm not sure if that would always apply to teething as it might to more acute conditions.

In something like teething though, it will reach a "peak" numerous times as more teeth come through, so I'm not sure if that would always apply to teething as it might to more acute conditions.

No, It never ever works for acute conditions, it only works for complaints that take a while to go away by themselves. Coldsores, backpain, teething, a burn or bruise, and the common cold are good examples. The effect only needs to happen once ever, and then people are convinced forever. Next time they are sure it will work, so the expectation is there.. Babies are people too afterall. They respond to their parents expectations and reassurances.

Pretty interesting phenomenon all the same though eh! Our mind plays funny tricks on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Next time they are sure it will work, so the expectation is there.. Babies are people too afterall. They respond to their parents expectations and reassurances.

I don't buy that a baby as young as say 5 months can know that it's parent is putting this item on him/her to give them relief from teething pain that's where I think the above theory is flawed.
    I like to think my 8 month old is pretty smart but if I thought he could read my expectations at this age I'd be signing him up for Mensa, even my OH has trouble reading my expectations & he's 42 :D

• Advertisement

Amber may very well be a load of bunkum., but if it means that he needs calpol and neurofen rarely instead of maxing out on both and walking him around for hours while he cried with the pain like he was prior to the first two teeth, then all I can say is bring on the snake oil!

He is teething again - as been for a few weeks now, drooling like mad, red cheeks, gnawing on everything and I have yet to hear him cry like he did on the first teeth before the amber.

Advertisement