Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 Month Old Teething

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My little guy is 12 weeks, been teething for the past 6 weeks. From the beginning he had red cheeks, burning acidic drool and nappies and was absolutely miserable - crying inconsolably for hours.

We got him an amber necklace (which he wears around his wrist under his vests) and since he started wearing it there's been no more acid drool and red bum. He's got 4 teeth pushing up now, there was only one that first week, so I don't think it is because things have eased off.

It certainly seems to make a difference, and if we leave it off for a day or two he "coincidentally" seems to revert to red bum and drool that burns my face and his.

We've been using Teetha Granules too, he loves them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

pwurple wrote: »
    No, It never ever works for acute conditions, it only works for complaints that take a while to go away by themselves. Coldsores, backpain, teething, a burn or bruise, and the common cold are good examples. The effect only needs to happen once ever, and then people are convinced forever. Next time they are sure it will work, so the expectation is there.. Babies are people too afterall. They respond to their parents expectations and reassurances.

Not entirely convinced of that argument in this case to be honest, but each to their own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

sometimes teething does come and go in waves....you have days even hours where they are in pain etc....and then it eases off. I say this because we have gone through the whole teething process for months now...we just have no teeth to show for it ;)

also regarding the medicating...its awful if you have one of those babies who teeth badly and you have to keep 'doped' up. thankfully our two (so far) have never suffered so badly that we've had to medicate to that extent and it must be awful if you do.

but one thing that turns me off amber stuff is the fact that it is absorbed into the skin and unless you mine the amber yourself you have no idea what that little bead is made of. you buy from someone on the internet..what regulations cover them? who are they? what else is being absorbed? am I right in thinking there is no research done into the beads?

so no I would never use snake oil or anything that I wasn't sure about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I don't buy that a baby as young as say 5 months can know that it's parent is putting this item on him/her to give them relief from teething pain that's where I think the above theory is flawed.
    I like to think my 8 month old is pretty smart but if I thought he could read my expectations at this age I'd be signing him up for Mensa, even my OH has trouble reading my expectations & he's 42 :D

? :confused: I am saying they respond to your actions. Does yours not?

I know that when I pick up my child and soothe her if she is upset, she responds to that. If she has bumped her head for example, I didn't actually cure the pain with a cuddle, but she still calms down.

Hannibal, I was wary of that also when I looked at these, but there is very little chance any amber gets into the bloodstream. There is a very special set of conditions required for transdermal absorbtion, and beads don't meet those.

They move around, and are round, there is no adhesion, so the prolonged contact is minimal. Also, the beads would wear down or get smaller if they were being absorbed. This does not happen. Items suitable for absortion have a low molecular weight, amber has a high molecular weight. The substance needs to have a high lipid solubility, amber is not lipid soluble. Therre is no solvent present for transfer. I could go on and on... Our skin is pretty good at its job as security guard. It protects each of us against the influx of toxins and is largely impermeable to the penetration of foreign molecules.

Luckily, you have about the same chance of them absorbing their babygrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

? :confused: I am saying they respond to your actions. Does yours not?

I know that when I pick up my child and soothe her if she is upset, she responds to that. If she has bumped her head for example, I didn't actually cure the pain with a cuddle, but she still calms down.

A cuddle is totally different, babies (& people) are instinctively designed to acquire comfort from close bodily contact but not from an inanimate object.

If I have a headache a cuddle from my OH is sometimes all I need to feel better but if he gave me a bracelet that he believed could make me feel better, when I didn't know the intention it would have no effect on me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dahamsta I think you forgot to add 'in your opinion'.

I'll tell you what, if you can show me a single independent peer-reviewed study that proves beads - BEADS, dammit - perform better than placebo, I'll happily retract my statement.

It's not my opinion, it's a statement of fact: Amber beads have the same efficacy as homoeopathic "remedies". None.

It's the children I feel sorry for, growing up to believe this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

dahamsta wrote: »

I'll tell you what, if you can show me a single independent peer-reviewed study that proves beads - BEADS, dammit - perform better than placebo, I'll happily retract my statement.

It's not my opinion, it's a statement of fact: Amber beads have the same efficacy as homoeopathic "remedies". None.

It's good to have an opinion... It's rude to call other people's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

dublinlady wrote: »
    It's good to have an opinion... It's rude to call other people's nonsense.

Yes, it would be rude...if you were comparing two opinions. But you're not, you're comparing a non-scientific belief with a fact. If someone believed that the world was round, would it be rude to suggest that that was nonsense?

Yes, it would be rude...if you were comparing two opinions. But you're not, you're comparing a non-scientific belief with a fact. If someone believed that the world was round, would it be rude to suggest that that was nonsense?

http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/research/the_evidence_for_homeopathy.html

There's no evidence to say it doesn't work. And for the sake of what may or may not be a placebo effect - if its working for someone who are you to tell them it's not. Are you all knowing when there's no evidence either way?

Tell someone receiving unconventional treatment of any sort with no evidence for support for cancer it's nonsense and then think about whether or not that's rude. There's no evidence. It works for them. That's their opinion. Boils down to same thing - it's not yours - but that doesn't make you right.

I'm in the medical profession - I don't think it's intelligent to dismiss treatment purely due to a lack if clinical evidence in certain circumstances.

But again - that's my opinion - which you may be rude enough to call nonsense.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    A cuddle is totally different, babies (& people) are instinctively designed to acquire comfort from close bodily contact but not from an inanimate object.

If I have a headache a cuddle from my OH is sometimes all I need to feel better but if he gave me a bracelet that he believed could make me feel better, when I didn't know the intention it would have no effect on me.

I dunno now, if it were a blinged out bracelet....as a way of telling me we won the lotto, I might be a bit perked up. :)

Like I said, regression to the mean is a strong effect. I'm not going to be able to dissuade anyone who has seen it with their own eyes.

• Advertisement

http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/research/the_evidence_for_homeopathy.html

There's no evidence to say it doesn't work. And for the sake of what may or may not be a placebo effect - if its working for someone who are you to tell them it's not. Are you all knowing when there's no evidence either way?
    What is the point of that link? Seriously, the homeopathic society? Come on! Love the way they have swapped out the defined standard 'Peer reviewed trial' for the complete undefined bunkum of 'Randomly controlled trial'. Hocus pocus, alakazam!

What is the point of that link? Seriously, the homeopathic society? Come on! Love the way they have swapped out the defined standard 'Peer reviewed trial' for the complete undefined bunkum of 'Randomly controlled trial'. Hocus pocus, alakazam!

wow....
    ramdom controlled trials as defined by websters medical dictionary...one of the most common used by medics worldwise... Most clinical trials which are required for all licensed medicines involve this type of trial....
    seriously underfined bunkum? If your gonna start a needless arguement at least be correct...

Definition of Randomized controlled trial

Randomized controlled trial: (RCT) A study in which people are allocated at random (by chance alone) to receive one of several clinical interventions. One of these interventions is the standard of comparison or control. The control may be a standard practice, a placebo ("sugar pill"), or no intervention at all. Someone who takes part in a randomized controlled trial (RCT) is called a participant or subject. RCTs seek to measure and compare the outcomes after the participants receive the interventions. Because the outcomes are measured, RCTs are quantitative studies. In sum, RCTs are quantitative, comparative, controlled experiments in which investigators study two or more interventions in a series of individuals who receive them in random order. The RCT is one of the simplest and most powerful tools in clinical research.

whoa this is way out of line. at the end of the day everyone is doing the best for their kid and the parenting decisions, although different to yours, are full of nothing but good intentions.

Dublinlady, you can't take something published by the homeopathic nuts as either independent or peer reviewed. Their 'trials' listed in the link are for hay fever and vertigo. Sorry, they are not reputable.

My query was that the link says nothing about amber beads, or teething, and I am questioning you using it as a response to someone asking for a peer reviewed study showing any evidence in favour of wrapping a string of beads around a baby for anything.

Are the beads even supposed to be homeopathic? I don't get it.

Homeopathy for children I think is actually mostly ok, as it is all water or sugar pills, which can't do much harm. Can't be overdosed, ok for breastfeeding obviously, as there are zero active ingredients, and adults feel like they are doing something. Win win win. Where it only goes wrong is where it goes too far, medical conditions are neglected and a child dies. http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/homeopaths-jailed-over-babys-death

The beads are probably fine for those same reasons, as long as they aren't wrapped around their necks, or left somewhere where the beads can split and be choked on. We have several children in this country who have died on simple blind chords. As long as they are used safely... No harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mod Note: I think it's time we stopped arguing for/against the benefit of amber necklaces/homeopathy etc etc and stick to giving advice on what worked for your baby. If amber worked (or appeared to work for the doubters) then it's a one up for the baby right? Any more on thread bickering or personal attacks on members and their beliefs will not be tolerated.

Personally, Teetha granules always calmed my girls down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Squiggler wrote: »
    My little guy is 12 weeks, been teething for the past 6 weeks. From the beginning he had red cheeks, burning acidic drool and nappies and was absolutely miserable - crying inconsolably for hours.

We got him an amber necklace (which he wears around his wrist under his vests) and since he started wearing it there's been no more acid drool and red bum. He's got 4 teeth pushing up now, there was only one that first week, so I don't think it is because things have eased off.

It certainly seems to make a difference, and if we leave it off for a day or two he "coincidentally" seems to revert to red bum and drool that burns my face and his.

We've been using Teetha Granules too, he loves them :D
    My little man absolutely loves the Teetha Granules, but I think they must taste sweet or something because it's not too many things that he will willingly take! :)
    I've never tried the Amber beads but a lot of my friends use them and I've heard good reports. I find the teetha gel good too if I give it a while before his bottle. But if he gets much worse I don't know what I'll do! Chewing like mad :)

My little one seems to think teetha granules are like sherbert - loves them! Not sure if they help her or not as we always seem to give them along with nurofen - but the nurofen works anyway! Calpol doesnt seem to help - maybe as theresno anti inflammatory in it. Amber anklet helps herslef - only noticed it when i lost her first one at a awimming class!

I didnt mean to be argumentative - so from my side im sorry if it came acorss that way - i think each of us is doing our best as parents and i believe we should be allowed to share our tips with others whether they old wives tales or not without criticism, I think the amber beads debate gets everyone wound up and im sorry if i came across as agressive in any side of the debate!
    Big believer in each to their own and freedom of opinion. I love hearing the huge variety of advice on this forum as i learn alot from it as a first time (soon to be second but still not much wiser) mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

But again - that's my opinion - which you may be rude enough to call nonsense.

I don't think at any stage on this thread that I have been rude. I did not rubbish anyone's beliefs either, merely offered an explanation as to why and how alternative treatments might be seen to work and why others might get worked up about it.

As for the teething - something cold to chew, Calpol and hugs got us through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Gee_G wrote: »
    My little man absolutely loves the Teetha Granules, but I think they must taste sweet or something because it's not too many things that he will willingly take! :)
    I've never tried the Amber beads but a lot of my friends use them and I've heard good reports. I find the teetha gel good too if I give it a while before his bottle. But if he gets much worse I don't know what I'll do! Chewing like mad :)

We also got him various gel filled teethers that can be kept in the fridge so they're nice and cold for him to chew on, but Mommy's finger is still the chew toy of choice - but won't be an option shortly as one tooth has already begun to cut through. For the teethers we found the Nuby ones best.

We also got him various gel filled teethers that can be kept in the fridge so they're nice and cold for him to chew on, but Mommy's finger is still the chew toy of choice - but won't be an option shortly as one tooth has already begun to cut through. For the teethers we found the Nuby ones best.

I dont think I've ever used a teether...I always use my finger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I had two great teethers for a couple of months but for soMe unknown reason I threw them into the steriliser one night, that didn't end Well! They melted! So I invested in Sophie the Giraffe, she seems to be going down a treat, even if it does sound like a dog toy!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I won't comment on the beads and homoeopathy any further, however since you've brought this up yourself, I think I'm entitled to comment:
    January wrote: »
    If amber worked (or appeared to work for the doubters) then it's a one up for the baby right?

It is one up, but how many downs are there because parents are convinced by coincidence/placebo and continue with ineffective "alternative medicine" when their child needs something that will actually help them?
    Personally, Teetha granules always calmed my girls down.

Teetha works for reasons other than the "active ingredient" claimed by Nelsons. Which is water. Since Nelsons don't sell it as a medical product - I wonder why - it's difficult to pin down the actual ingredients, but lactose and xylitol certainly won't get in the way of calming down a baby.

Dentinox Teething Gel does the exact same thing, legitimately (and sugar free, and not sold by liars and cheats). Unfortunately it's not available in Ireland, but any UK chemist will ship it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I always used a washcloth sounds a bit mad but my mum always used it on all of us and i found it really relieved the area for my lo. Wet the wash cloth then wring out as best you can and put in freezer , I used this on my fella when he got a bit older and it worked well. I also use the teetha granules i find them great.

I won't comment on the beads and homoeopathy any further, however since you've brought this up yourself, I think I'm entitled to comment:

It is one up, but how many downs are there because parents are convinced by coincidence/placebo and continue with ineffective "alternative medicine" when their child needs something that will actually help them?

Teetha works for reasons other than the "active ingredient" claimed by Nelsons. Which is water. Since Nelsons don't sell it as a medical product - I wonder why - it's difficult to pin down the actual ingredients, but lactose and xylitol certainly won't get in the way of calming down a baby.

Dentinox Teething Gel does the exact same thing, legitimately (and sugar free, and not sold by liars and cheats). Unfortunately it's not available in Ireland, but any UK chemist will ship it here.

I'm not sure many parents would stick an amber bracelet on and then just not treat the baby if there are still symptoms prevalent... to be fair a lot of the posters here state they are using the amber beads in conjunction with pain killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I've seen Dentinox teething gel in Sam McCauleys in Tralee as far as I know: I early picked it up the last day, but had forgotton my wallet :rolleyes: It had a little finger toothbrush for their gums aswell it looked handy. Must have a look when I'm there later in the week again.

Personally I'm finding a combination of the amber bracelet, teetha & sophie working really well: which seriously surprised me. If we're having a bad night sugar free bonjela and neurofen works well. Although seeing as I'm breastfeeding I have no interest in teeth coming up anytime soon :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sophie the giraffe is (IMO) the best toy for 0-9 months. My guy gets hours of gnawing out of it.

elaney wrote: »
    I always used a washcloth sounds a bit mad but my mum always used it on all of us and i found it really relieved the area for my lo. Wet the wash cloth then wring out as best you can and put in freezer , I used this on my fella when he got a bit older and it worked well. I also use the teetha granules i find them great.

Yeah I tried this too - fab!! Altho I think I should have let it thaw for a min or 2 before I gave it too her as was a little too hard! They should make a small material bit like that on the end of a stick they could hold and then u could freeze it and would be easier to use!!!

I like Sophie.... But have lost 2.... Can't afford to keep buying them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

About Sophie, I bought one but the dye on the eyes kept coming off! Does that happen to you guys? I threw it in the bin thinking I'd bought a counterfeit.

Where did you buy it? I've a Sophie here bought from Smyths and no dye coming off anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I bought it in its homeland :)

Advertisement