Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee by bike

• 05-11-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably aimed more at the touring community:

I want to bring tea/coffee with me in the mornings rather than paying the extortionate prices in Blackrock, so I thought maybe I could bring a travel mug in a bottle cage.

Then I reckoned there must be some dedicated options developed by tourers, probably for smuggling warm soup into sodden fields for a mid-ride picnic, I don't know and frankly I don't want to know. But I reckon the sandal-wearers out there have discovered a practical solution for taking coffee by bike that doesn't:

a) Involve riding one handed while the other clutches a travel mug

b) Rattle around in a bottle cage, potentially working its way loose and rolling back into POB traffic, a half-fat double soy latte landmine.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This is probably aimed more at the touring community:

I want to bring tea/coffee with me in the mornings rather than paying the extortionate prices in Blackrock, so I thought maybe I could bring a travel mug in a bottle cage.

Then I reckoned there must be some dedicated options developed by tourers, probably for smuggling warm soup into sodden fields for a mid-ride picnic, I don't know and frankly I don't want to know. But I reckon the sandal-wearers out there have discovered a practical solution for taking coffee by bike that doesn't:

a) Involve riding one handed while the other clutches a travel mug

b) Rattle around in a bottle cage, potentially working its way loose and rolling back into POB traffic, a half-fat double soy latte landmine.

You can get thermos type magiggers that fit in bottle cages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Maybe something like Polar Insulator bottle? Not sure if the diameter is the same as a regular bottle but should tick all the boxes if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nice idea.......isn't it just a Thermos or double walled flask that fits a bottle cage that you want?

How about this
    Bike Buddy
    or
    you'll find something here http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com/ I suspect.

Could be pricey (ie the cost of a few months coffee-shop coffee ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

but if you want to go the way of the tourer then you must stop take in the view relax have that coffee n cake then head on your merry way.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/K11102-01/?navid=61

Have one of these for travelling and just checked it with the cage on my bike - very nice snug fit

I got my one in Java Republic out by Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/K11102-01/?navid=61

Have one of these for travelling and just checked it with the cage on my bike - very nice snug fit

I got my one in Java Republic out by Blanchardstown.

That looks interesting. How has it stood up to bumps/potholes/rough roads? I'm riding on 25s so not a lot of natural suspension, would be a shame if it fell apart after a few weeks.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll hold off on the Carradice purchase for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    That looks interesting. How has it stood up to bumps/potholes/rough roads? I'm riding on 25s so not a lot of natural suspension, would be a shame if it fell apart after a few weeks.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll hold off on the Carradice purchase for now!

Ah :o I haven't actually used it on the bike so I've no idea. I just happened to have the turbo trainer set up tonight and stuck it in to see if it fits. It has stood up very well to being crammed into a big rucksack and thrown around the bush all over Africa though so I'd imagine it'd be ok. The black band in the middle is a softer rubber kind of material so it would provide some cushioning in the bottle cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

try frappuccino..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Try Elite Thermal Bidons. Will keep it hot for a good while. I'm partial to some nice warm tea when out riding in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Are you drinking it on the go, or just, um, 'portaging' it?

What about a handlebar-mounted bottle cage?
    e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/5884657965/

Or Velo Orange does a clip for a standard cage.

I have one of these (donated by a colleague who won it in a raffle). A bit of fun, but I wouldn't trust it on the Dublin streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have one of these contigo mugs. Fits the bottle cage (though I've never taken one out on the bike) and keeps hot stuff damn hot for a couple of hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Bodum brewers keep extracting your coffee while you're cycling, so you'll be tucking into a mug of coffee scented tar by the time you take a break.

The best travelling mugs I've found are KeepCups, they've a simple cover over the drinking spout, available in every size you can imagine, and they'll fit into a handlebar cup holder. You can pick one of those up for about 5 quid online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Is there no chance of just making the coffee when you get there? I'm all for having coffee on the bike but if you're only going to have it when you get there then scrounge a kettle and brew it fresh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seatpost_rack1.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Careful - I tried coffee in an insulated bidon: it burns the back of your throat off when you take a quick schluck at the lights! never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is there no chance of just making the coffee when you get there? I'm all for having coffee on the bike but if you're only going to have it when you get there then scrounge a kettle and brew it fresh :)

College. The only coffee on campus is Kylemore, who charge €1.30 for tea and €1.80 for coffee. I'm a poor student at the moment, caffeine is my lifeblood but I'd prefer to take the sting out of ordering multiple shots per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Think big!! I can see a great opportunity here...

13202485244.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Did you try TK Maxx - they have plenty of thermos flask type bottles that fit into a bottle cage. They work well keeping drinks cool as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The problem is that on a regular two wheeled bike the bumps on the road destroy the crema and in a milky coffee, cause the froth to disperse too fast.

Best bet is to get add another 2 wheels, and get a cover for the bike. Maybe remove the drivetrain and add a hydrocarbon-fuelled engine, and switch to a circular handlebar. And have coffee mug holders installed.

This is the kind of think I have in mind:
    http://tinyurl.com/3hm5drv

They're big in Copenhagen and Amsterdam. Basically all the perks of a car, but you can still use the bike lanes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

53x1120landing20page20555x275.jpg

.........Hammer Nutrition.......

IMG_0407.jpg

..........Hammer Gel........A3 gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I do know that your coffee will have to be tamped by this before you set off...

3470-01.jpg

http://www.rapha.cc/chris-king-espresso-tamper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Go into a big tescos. Buy one of their 5.50 own brand metal flasks. Keeps tay warm for about 6hrs.

It fits in my bottle holder too, if it doesn't, well that's what bungee cord is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Have myself a jetboil with french press....fresh coffee on the go..:D
    picture.php?albumid=2274&pictureid=14131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Camelbak do several sorts of insulated bottles that are capable of taking hot or cold liquids; Neoprene sleeved, double walled steel or polycarbonate, double-walled plastic with polystyrene insulation...

http://shop.camelbak.com/d/50079

You could also try this (cyclists seem to use it, but not on-the-fly); http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeventure-thermal-mug/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

del88 wrote: »
    Have myself a jetboil with french press....fresh coffee on the go..:D
    picture.php?albumid=2274&pictureid=14131

That's no trangia :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

BX 19 wrote: »
    That's no trangia :-P

Ha Ha...I keep that for longer trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Resurrecting this older thread rather than starting a fresh one,........
    Had anyone found and invested in a reliable thermos bidon (ie keeps not stuff hot for, say 2 hours, and fits in standard bottle cage) since this earlier discussion.... The recent cold spell had me thinking is time to get one.

Advertisement