Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband

• 05-11-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I dont know if this is the correct section, but I'll give it a shot.

I recently just got 100mb upc broadband installed and the most I can get from a speedtest is ~30mb using speedtest.net. The speed hasnt changed in the slightest from the 50mb I had.

Usual result like these:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2288466494.png

Im at testing using a 100mb ethernet card, wired to the modem. I've tried the upc test, where the result vary from 80mb-130mb, how can I possibly test 130mb over a 100mb line?! Needless to say that has left me skeptical about upc testing tools. Unless it tests the speed solely between the modem and server? I would find that strange though.

I have tried download from heanet, best I've gotten is 2.5megs :(

What you ye reckon I do? I made sure I was the only device on the network and I have nothing else consuming bandwidth in the back ground. I live in Dublin 8 if that would make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

• Registered Users Posts: 23 awedf

Try testing to a different server like Amsterdam, that should give the best result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

If you don't manage to solve it, UPC now has a Talk To forum here on boards: here

Thanks for the advice, much worse though

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2288624915.png

75ms ping!!

I think I'll give UPC a ring tomorrow, I was never expecting to achieve the 100mb, but at least get more than 50mb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm not trying to sound smart, but did you reboot the modem around two hours after the call was logged? It takes them time to get it up and running on the system. You will need to reboot it. Even when you get the free upgrades in the past, you had to reboot it. It essentially tells the network 'Yup, I'm back online and I am ready for whatever you throw at me'.

Give the reboot a shout before you start calling them. It will take a few hours to kick in. I know this as I was bumped up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Turned off firewall and IP flood detection on the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If he's on the new router, they should come off by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Yeah those speeds seem a bit too slow.

Just a few things before you call UPC though. You say you are connected to the modem/router by Ethernet cable at 100Mb. Is that the connection speed that shows up(100Mbps)?

It should show 1Gbps. All of upc router/modems should be 1Gbps. If it is showing 100Mbps, either your network card is ancient(8+years old) or you have some settings wrong. This will impact speed.

It is also important to take peak usage times into account. On my connection at peak times, 16:00-23:00, the speed will suffer. Speeds can drop significantly. Try testing your connection at around 1am.

You should get speeds like 2288862935.png

I think I am on 125Mb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That speedtest.net is a mess and doesn't work properly and i can't figure out why so many people still use it. :confused:

Use the UPC speedtest here >>> http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

More accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

zenno wrote: »
    That speedtest.net is a mess and doesn't work properly and i can't figure out why so many people still use it. :confused:

Use the UPC speedtest here >>> http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

More accurate.

People use speedtest.net because it's a fantastic free service and lets you test your connection to servers all over the world.

UPC speedtest is more accurate? What do you see in the corner of UPC speedtest? - powered by Ookla? Have a look at the bottom of speedtest.net - Ookla? It's the same tool, ye tool. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies lads, I rebooted the router via the switch at the back and using the reboot function in the router utilities, no joy. I'm not expecting the full 100mb, would be very nice to get it, but I wouldnt be upset if I dont. Receiving less than a third of that at best is a little disheartening though.

Most of the time it is 20mbits at peak hours :(

I've tried the speedtest at upc but I'm a little wary of it to be honest, 130mbits via a 100mbits connection?!

I'm sure its 100mbit NIC that I'm using, I cant see how that would impact the speed that dramatically though. Using a broadcom 440x.

My mates can connect using n mode, while I know this is wireless and will see drops in speeds, they can only achieve the same speed as myself.

20mbits for heanet at best?! :(

Thanks for you help guys!

Rang UPC today, they did a few tests, all result were good. But they are sending out an engineer on Friday. Have to say they were very helpful and didn't treat me like a numpty. Yer mano that I was talking to reckons the router could be jacked. Even with my old school 10/100 card I should be getting better speed considering my ping and upload are so good. Getting 8 ~ 10mbits uplink.

Will post back and let ye know how I get on,

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Ketron wrote: »
    I'm sure its 100mbit NIC that I'm using, I cant see how that would impact the speed that dramatically though. Using a broadcom 440x.

Sounds like its your network card. You need a 1Gbps card

Untitled-1.jpg

I've tried using a different card (mates gigabit mac) to no avail. I know the fact my card is limited to 100mbit isnt the main issue. I can download files in work and get speeds of far in excess of what I'm getting at home. Even with overheads, a 100mbit card wouldnt limit the download by 70% :)

What is the model of your router? Did you get a new one in the last year?

Its the cisco 3925, it came with the package, I had to re-install as I changed the account to my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Do you not need the Thompson router for 50mb or higher?

No, I have the same Cisco router and get 125Mbps.

Great router in fact. It has a great interface, the wireless supports 5GHz and 2.4Ghz aswell as 40Mhz wide band and has good management options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MattyM1987

i have this problem so much with upc its a joke going on a year and a half nearly, they promise no congestion on there advertisements but they told me the reason why I'm having problems is due to congestion. In my opinion they don't no whats wrong 99% of the time on the phone they've tried everything in my area which is dorset street like changing the cable the routers/modems they've changed 9 times its a joke.
    The customer service agents constantly say they ring you back and they never do, one guy even said what do you want me to do im down in limerick.

They might be the cheapest but theres no where near the speeds they boast are they giving

They said it takes about three months to fix the congestion problem, if you live in my area DONT GET UPC BROADBAND i couldn't say enough bad things about them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement