Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing supplier in a rented house

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi myself and my partner moved in to a rented house 4 months ago. Have had hassle from bord gais needing deposits even with direct debit and needing the landlord to come to the house and speak to them with us there to change over. Long story short we have decided we don't want the bird gais electricity in the house now. We never changed over to them so have not got a bill yet so are planning on asking them for the amount we owe from last 4 months, paying it and switching to electric Ireland. Have a number if questions though

1. We had an account with electric Ireland in our previous apartment and closed the bill when we moved 4 months ago, will we need to pay a deposit if we switch to electric Ireland from bord gais now?

2. Will u need to speak to the landlord about the switch? We will obviously tell her but don't want to ask her to come all the way to the house to speak to you on the phone (like bord gais insists she does) as she lives far away?

3. Not sure if the house has had elwctric Ireland in the past so will any electricians need to come to the house?

4. Is there a chance we will be cut off from electricity during the changeover? If I pay the bill with bord Gais on a certain date and change to electric Ireland, during the 20 day changeover who am I getting electricity from and subsequently who do I owe money to for that 20 days?

Thank you

Vicki

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

If youre setting up a direct debit with new company there shouldnt be a deposit required, 300 if no direct debit... but nothing to say you actually have to pay it anyway...

dont normally have to mention to landlord/lady, but you may have something in contract that says you do, but not normally....

so long as youve had electricity in house... which im guessing you do.. nothing needs to be done...

you can give you final meter reading on the day you decide to switch, any used after that is on the new bill. the 20 days is just to give them time to sort the paperwork out, only a paper exercise so no changes to the service... so if new supplier is cheaper.... may as well give them a eading slightly lower... so thoses units are charged at a less rate !!! as if anyone would do that ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi 123Vicki,
    123Vicki wrote: »
    1. We had an account with electric Ireland in our previous apartment and closed the bill when we moved 4 months ago, will we need to pay a deposit if we switch to electric Ireland from bord gais now?

If you set up a direct debit then no; we don't charge a security deposit in that case. In general, security deposits (€300 for residential customers) are refunded to the customer after 14 months (or 6 clear bills), or when they close their account.
    123Vicki wrote:
    2. Will u need to speak to the landlord about the switch? We will obviously tell her but don't want to ask her to come all the way to the house to speak to you on the phone (like bord gais insists she does) as she lives far away?

There shouldn't be any need for that; you can make the switch online without needing to inform either your landlord or supplier. Just ensure you have the relevant information to hand.
    123Vicki wrote:
    3. Not sure if the house has had electric Ireland in the past so will any electricians need to come to the house?

Nothing of this kind will need to be done, unless the premise in question is disconnected.
    123Vicki wrote:
    4. Is there a chance we will be cut off from electricity during the changeover? If I pay the bill with bord Gais on a certain date and change to electric Ireland, during the 20 day changeover who am I getting electricity from and subsequently who do I owe money to for that 20 days?

Changing provider in itself doesn't pose any risk of disconnection. Generally if you have power when you switch, you'll have power when the switch completes.

The switch may take up to 20 working days in the case of electricity (up to 21 for gas); this may be longer if readings are not provided. However, the switch, once it goes through, if effective from the date you contact us, so you would be billed by your new supplier for those 20 or so days.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 123Vicki

That's great thanks, il be making the switch today.

Advertisement