Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support the Quinn family? (poll attached)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Had they stashed €500m before daddy racked up the enormous gambling losses I would have some sympathy ( not much but some)

However they borrowed €500m AFTER daddy racked up his gambling losses and around when they were looting the Insurance to cover the losses. So fúck them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Of course they deserve the force of the law, but the bias is too obvious and it's deflecting attention from Sean Fitz and the politicians that are protecting him. I feel we're missing something really big.

Big Bottom wrote: »
    They did create lots of jobs for people.

Wouldnt everyone want to hide their money away before its taken off them?

You can bet none of them Bankers will go down for what they did.

More power to them I say.

Bertie Ahern never went to jail either but what the hell has that to do with Sean Quinn.

Quinn broke the law, tried to defraud the taxpayers of hundreds of millions, ran an insurance company like a ponzi pyramid scheme.

Anybody that can't see that Quinn deserves a long term in jail really have serious judgement and morality issues.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

oldyouth wrote: »
    Gobsmacked that 67 Cavan people here have paid for internet connection

Hahahaha brilliant I laughed out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

I was sick to the teeth of so called heros saving an area with jobs which although sean senior orig set up jobs he did NOT do it for the good of the region he had the labour force which was economically good for him .
    Greed took over then which is the downfall of a lot of businesses when the sons and sons take over .
    It's a shame that the extended family felt it was their entitlement to wheel and deal to line their pockets .

I still don't get why there are so many supporters when WE are all paying extra in our premiums for their folly . Using the excuse that it's the bankers fault does not wash -
    I still feel sorry for sean senior though . I'm sure he had the best of lawyers advising him and they still got their fees for all the advice .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

oldyouth wrote: »
    Gobsmacked that 67 Cavan people here have paid for internet connection

Possibly sitting in their cars outside a local hotel or library and tethering a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pobtc

Quinn is being made an example of. He done soo much good for this country and if he'd been left alone he would have paid back all he owed. I can't believe a man like him could be put in jail and the bankers still walk free.

I'm not from Cavan by the way.

Pobtc wrote: »
    Quinn is being made an example of. He done soo much good for this country and if he'd been left alone he would have paid back all he owed. I can't believe a man like him could be put in jail and the bankers still walk free.

You are obviously very unaware of the facts or are choosing to be purposefully ignorant, the profits from Quinns companies(excluding the insurance company) was relatively modest and would have taken over 50 years profits when the companies were doing there best(Which was during the boom, long gone now)

Quinn made most of his money from the insurance company which has since been exposed as a massive ponzi scheme that the taxpayer will pay off in the next 25 years. Quinn wrote insurance that he would never be able to pay out on, thats how he made his real money.

So try and get it into your head, there wasn't a chance in a million years of quinn paying his debt, the interest alone on 4 billion would of been more than double the profits of the quinn companies at there best(excluding the ponzi insurance company).

Now you have something wrong with you if you can't see what Quinn has done wrong, Quinn has left debts equivalent to 700K for each of his workers(or 1.4 million pre-tax), so don't bother justifying his fraud by using the workers. Its his gambling and dealings with the mafia that have put these workers jobs in jeopardy.

Has S Quinn's rent a mob now resorted to setting up account on boards.ie just to defend him ?

We all know that it is in the interest of lots of people that Sean Quinns fraud is not recovered by the taxpayer, just like yourself.

It will be a great day for the taxpayers and people who want to see this country progress when Sean Quinn and his ilk are jailed for a long time.

Unfortunately it will take a generation for his gombeen supporters to be bred out. Its backward attitudes like yours that are preventing the real political/social reform that is necessary in this country to stop it been the corrupt little island that it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Of course not - you just came down in the last shower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

it really winds me up when you hear of all those Saps protesting about how they have been treated etc. The quinns have done wrong and just because they've given people jobs in Cavan doesnt make them above the law.

Just wanna bang all their heads together.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

How would he have paid it all back exactly? His insurance business was insolvent. It is nothing to do with bankers why he is in Jail. If he had not willfully ignored the instructions of the court he would be a free man.

You all seem to forget. Quinn didn't borrow money from the taxpayer . He borrowed it from Anglo. The Bank was on its knees at the time. If he'd never bought shared . It still would have gone belly up. It's our Government pumping billions of taxpayers money into Anglo not into Quinns pocket. if u bought a car and then realised the engine was gone. What would u do. It's all Fraud.

You all seem to forget. Quinn didn't borrow money from the taxpayer . He borrowed it from Anglo. The Bank was on its knees at the time. If he'd never bought shared . It still would have gone belly up. It's our Government pumping billions of taxpayers money into Anglo not into Quinns pocket. if u bought a car and then realised the engine was gone. What would u do. It's all Fraud.

He borrowed money because he owed it for his gambling debts(CFD's). He borrowed this money from Anglo and could of borrowed it from any bank. With CFD's you risk much more than your original investment, from personal experience you do not use uninsured CFD's unless there is almost an impossible risk of the matching share-price decreasing. He made a shockingly bad investment decision for which he should pay his losses. Being mega rich should not mean he does not have to pay his losses.

Now if Quinn actually paid all his debt off to Anglo as he should, the taxpayer would not have to make up this 4 billion shortfall.

As much as you or Quinns gombeen supporters may try, there is no excuse for him not to pay this loan back. He like all investors take a risk when they invest/gamble. Do you think just the mega rich should get there money back if an investment fails ?? And just allow the little people suffer investment losses ??:rolleyes:

I wonder would Quinn have handed all of the profits back to Anglo if his investment worked out ? You can be 100% guaranteed he wouldn't. But because it didn't work out you think he should get his money back, you are either crazy or have a personal interest in Quinn not paying his debts.

This is some country, where some delusional people prefer to stand up for the mega rich rather than try to protect the poor.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

77 people need to be put down for the good of society.

We are all entitled to our opinion. Mine is Sean Quinn and his family are being targeted by our government threw the media. He is and always was even when he was the richest man in Ireland an ordinary working man. I accept he gambled and lost but He was deceived . The books were cooked. It was Fraud, As I said if. U purchased a car and its engine was gone. You'd be entitled to repair, replace or Refund ? Fraud Fraud Fraud
    I thing if all u can do is call me or any others who have an opinion names ur the sad ones with ur eyes closed. It's our corrupt government both now and in the boom thats throwing away taxpayers money not Quinn.
    Free Sean Quinn

He is and always was even when he was the richest man in Ireland an ordinary working man.

Yeah i don't know any ordinary working people that try and take over a bank, or ordinary people who deal with the mafia, or ordinary working people who give 14 million away for a laptop, or ordinary working people who try to hide 100's of millions of euros in Belize, Ukraine and Russia, or ordinary working people who take in insurance premiums with no intention of paying the insurance if it is claimed. :rolleyes: after all he only spent 3 million euros on furnishing his house, and 100K on a wedding cake(oops i forgot he wrote the cake off against tax, so i as a taxpayer paid for it instead)

You must live in a really unique place if that's what ordinary working people are like where you live. Sounds more like some Chechen hellhole been run by a corrupt oil arch.:eek: Also Sounds like somewhere where cowards run across borders to hide from there guilt.
    He was deceived . The books were cooked. It was Fraud,
    I don't know how he was deceived as he never bought shares, he bought CFD's. He could of done it the legitimate way and bought shares and then actually looked at the books instead of just betting, but he didn't. I Believe Anglo actually tried to help him when they found out about the large CFD holding and advised him to reduce it and he went and increased it(thinking he was the smart hoor from cavan that should own a bank)

Sounds like you really don't have a clue what he actually did, and have fallen for his propaganda ?

You may want to follow these links and read before you post any-more "free quinn" nonsense again, and maybe educate some of your fellow 78 worshippers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19063419
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/just-three-letters-cfd-at-centre-of-shares-controversy-1644972.html
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80079383
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/brendan-oconnor-quinns-pot-of-our-rainy-day-money-full-of-holes-3196996.html

Of course you probably won't read the above facts as your obvious servile attitude prevents you from educating yourself beyond listening to what your lordship the billionaire Quinn says. Keep cheering him on, he may bring some of the taxpayers money back from Belize and give a few leftovers from his table for his supporters like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Yeah i don't know any ordinary working people that try and take over a bank, or ordinary people who deal with the mafia, or ordinary working people who give 14 million away for a laptop, or ordinary working people who try to hide 100's of millions of euros in Belize, Ukraine and Russia, or ordinary working people who take in insurance premiums with no intention of paying the insurance if it is claimed. :rolleyes: after all he only spent 3 million euros on furnishing his house, and 100K on a wedding cake(oops i forgot he wrote the cake off against tax, so i as a taxpayer paid for it instead)

You must live in a really unique place if that's what ordinary working people are like where you live. Sounds more like some Chechen hellhole been run by a corrupt oil arch.:eek: Also Sounds like somewhere where cowards run across borders to hide from there guilt.

I don't know how he was deceived as he never bought shares, he bought CFD's. He could of done it the legitimate way and bought shares and then actually looked at the books instead of just betting, but he didn't. I Believe Anglo actually tried to help him when they found out about the large CFD holding and advised him to reduce it and he went and increased it(thinking he was the smart hoor from cavan that should own a bank)

Sounds like you really don't have a clue what he actually did, and have fallen for his propaganda ?

You may want to follow these links and read before you post any-more "free quinn" nonsense again, and maybe educate some of your fellow 78 worshippers.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/just-three-letters-cfd-at-centre-of-shares-controversy-1644972.html
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/brendan-oconnor-quinns-pot-of-our-rainy-day-money-full-of-holes-3196996.html

Of course you probably won't read the above facts as your obvious servile attitude prevents you from educating yourself beyond listening to what your lordship the billionaire Quinn says. Keep cheering him on, he may bring some of the taxpayers money back from Belize and give a few leftovers from his table for his supporters like you.

Although I knew nothing much about Sean Quinn and his family there was part of me that wanted to believe that he was some sort of ‘hero of the people’ whose main driving force was the provision of badly needed jobs in areas of high unemployment. However, there always seemed to be a bad smell in the kitchen of the Quinn Empire and it wasn’t the fish that was off.

To someone like myself who did not follow the saga closely there was a bit of a Robin Hood element to the whole story, with good-guy Quinn taking on the big bad banks, the out of touch judiciary and the corrupt political system in order to put something back into society. However, I have seen a few mini versions of Sean Quinn strutting their stuff around the place and while they may have been the picture of respectability, the reality was that they were more ‘robbin without hoods’ than Robin Hood, especially when it came to paying their workers. I doubt if any of these guys, Quinn included are charity workers.

I would still give the Quinns the benefit of the doubt if it was not for the hard evidence that is mounting up against them. Having taken the time to read up on how they operated with their Contracts for Difference (CFDs) and studying the judgement that was handed down against them it would be difficult to argue that the Quinns were that much different from their mafia friends. It could be argued that there is a wide ranging conspiracy against the Quinn family but when you read report after report from reputable sources the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the whole lot of them should be joining Sean Snr. for a long stretch of porridge.

The only form of defence that I can see for the Quinn supporters now is to shoot the messenger in the vain hope that the bad news will go away. It probably will go away because this is one corrupt little banana republic and there are big names that must be protected.

Numerous people have referred to the Quinn's links with the Mafia, can some one please enlighten me?

• Advertisement

You believe anglo actually tried to help him??seriously
    Regarding the cake and furniture. You'd swallow a brick .
    If they report it in the media it's gospel.

Free Sean Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Absolutely not - they're gangsters plain and simple. Everyone who insures their car in this country for somethng like the next 20 years will be paying a premium to cover the illegal gamble Sean Quinn took. Meanwhile he stashes his money abroad and puts on the poor mouth while living like a king and gombeens march in support of him - it's hard to believe - fúcking idiots each and every one of them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If I was a multi billionaire, I wouldn't gamble it all.

Do you honestly believe that he gambled it all, that when all this is over that he wont have a cent lol many lol

If Sean Quinn was illeagel gambling why is the dealer with the loaded deck (Fitzpatrick) and is cohort in the bank propping saga (Drumm) not in Mountjoy also, are these people not now in court facing charges for lending money to the Quinn family illeagely. Why is the only person jailed in the whole banking collapse a private citizen . Quinn made an investment looking at false banking records. if things was America Fitzpatrick and Drumm would have been tried, sentenced and would now be jailed. I don't know Quinn. I don't work for Quinn but I feel that a Huge injustice is been carried out to this family.

FREE SEAN QUINN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

We are all entitled to our opinion. Mine is Sean Quinn and his family are being targeted by our government threw the media. He is and always was even when he was the richest man in Ireland an ordinary working man. I accept he gambled and lost but He was deceived . The books were cooked. It was Fraud, As I said if. U purchased a car and its engine was gone. You'd be entitled to repair, replace or Refund ? Fraud Fraud Fraud
    I thing if all u can do is call me or any others who have an opinion names ur the sad ones with ur eyes closed. It's our corrupt government both now and in the boom thats throwing away taxpayers money not Quinn.
    Free Sean Quinn
    Sean quinn is a lowlife scumbag.
    He and his brood should be locked up in solitary until they return every cent they stole on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If Sean Quinn was illeagel gambling why is the dealer with the loaded deck (Fitzpatrick) and is cohort in the bank propping saga (Drumm) not in Mountjoy also, are these people not now in court facing charges for lending money to the Quinn family illeagely. Why is the only person jailed in the whole banking collapse a private citizen . Quinn made an investment looking at false banking records. if things was America Fitzpatrick and Drumm would have been tried, sentenced and would now be jailed. I don't know Quinn. I don't work for Quinn but I feel that a Huge injustice is been carried out to this family.

FREE SEAN QUINN

He didn't make an investment. He placed a bet. That's what CFD's are. If he was investing, he would have bought shares in the bank. But he wasn't buying anything. He was placing a bet on how they would perform.

The bet went bad.

Now imagine it's a horse race. I go and place a bet on a horse. But I lose. Can i then go and sue the person who gave me the tip?
    No, course not. It's gambling. And just as I couldn't get money back for playing roulette or dice or horse racing, neither could I get my money back for CFD's.

The guy placed a billion euro bet and lost. He's now claiming it's unfair because he lost and he never realised that he could lose. Are you that dim that you'd believe him? He believed he could place a bet for a billion, win and walk away with another billion and it was all risk free? If it was that easy, we'd all be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Well fine job liberty made of running the insurance business even after been given it for nothing and then getting around £1 billion from our gutless **** of a government. What do they do? Lay off most of the staff! Fine performance from the administrators there!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

FREE SEAN QUINN

FFS! Quinn is not in jail for the banking collapse. He is in jail for not complying with the orders of the courts of this land. How thick do you have to be to not understand that?

Three former senior executives from Anglo are currently before the courts. They have been charged with offences. Yes the wheels of justice turn slowly here but that's nothing new now is it.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Well fine job liberty made of running the insurance business even after been given it for nothing and then getting around £1 billion from our gutless **** of a government. What do they do? Lay off most of the staff! Fine performance from the administrators there!

Without Liberty Insurance all of the jobs would of been gone thanks to the way Sean Quinn set up his ponzi insurance scheme. Those Quinn workers that are supporting him are obviously too stupid to realise that its Sean Quinn himself that has put all their jobs in jeopardy.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

He didn't make an investment. He placed a bet. That's what CFD's are. If he was investing, he would have bought shares in the bank. But he wasn't buying anything. He was placing a bet on how they would perform.

The bet went bad.

Now imagine it's a horse race. I go and place a bet on a horse. But I lose. Can i then go and sue the person who gave me the tip?
    No, course not. It's gambling. And just as I couldn't get money back for playing roulette or dice or horse racing, neither could I get my money back for CFD's.

The guy placed a billion euro bet and lost. He's now claiming it's unfair because he lost and he never realised that he could lose. Are you that dim that you'd believe him? He believed he could place a bet for a billion, win and walk away with another billion and it was all risk free? If it was that easy, we'd all be doing it.

If u knew the horse eS a donkey would u bet in the first place. But u wouldn't accept it.

Advertisement