Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web solutions for new companys

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hay, I'm launching a new web solution to get companys online. Is there many solutions that offer a cms solution that includes mobile and iPad as well as desktop solutions.

Any info on other solutions available would be great. Anyone who is interested pm me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

My Solution offers Solutions to Solution the problem of a clear lack of Solutions in the Solution market . . . . ..

Sorry I had too ;)

Eh many CMS offer responsive design. If you code in HTML5 and with responsive design in mind then it can work across all platforms.

There are too many companies to even start to list that offer these, not to mention freelancers like myself that can also do it.

What web 'Solution' in particular are you offering? as any serious designer (maybe just in my opinion) should be offering responsive design as standard to every client.

Separate mobile Apps are however a different story ( charged at a different rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

My Solution offers Solutions to Solution the problem of a clear lack of Solutions in the Solution market . . . . ..

Sorry I had too ;)

Eh many CMS offer responsive design. If you code in HTML5 and with responsive design in mind then it can work across all platforms.

There are too many companies to even start to list that offer these, not to mention freelancers like myself that can also do it.

What web 'Solution' in particular are you offering? as any serious designer (maybe just in my opinion) should be offering responsive design as standard to every client.

Separate mobile Apps are however a different story ( charged at a different rate)

Solution is solved by solutions!!

This is true html5 does work across all platforms. However many sites simply don't!! And least of all not for a budget rate of €15 per month.

I found that browser detection to load different themes was a much finer solution as iPads for example don't need to load mobile theme but would like to use the swipe function to rotate between sliders and load different mainmenus to avoid the mouseover menus.

This said it also enables the user to use the full site view option too.

I think there is a solid argument for both sides but I think my price and my solution is pretty good. I'll have one of the sites available next week for solid review and will pm you for your critique.

For now all I will say is jetlag hates my face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

swordsinfo wrote: »
    I found that browser detection to load different themes was a much finer solution as iPads for example don't need to load mobile theme but would like to use the swipe function to rotate between sliders and load different mainmenus to avoid the mouseover menus.
    Or you know, you could use media queries...

smash wrote: »
    Or you know, you could use media queries...

This ^^^^ :D

I agree that 15 per month is very cheap, which is why I'm against it frankly .

I haven't been spending years in college learning good design techniques and code to go out into the world and offer my services for 15 quid lol. I'd like to get paid for the hours of work I put in, but thats just me hahaha

Again I think if the designer codes correctly the first time round then there shouldn't be a problem in the first place .

In saying that I look forward to seeing the site next week and wish you the best of luck with the solutionified business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Is there many solutions that offer a cms solution that includes mobile and iPad as well as desktop solutions.
    It really depends on your definition of 'solution'.

Personally, I'd say that there is none... but I'd also say that there never will be one.

A 'mobile solution' isn't just about having a site that renders properly or has a specific layout on a mobile device, it's far more than that.

There are a huge number of sites that render beautifully on a mobile device, are styled brilliantly for those devices but that are absolutely terrible from a user experience point of view. It can be down to ridiculous load times, unusable functionality or simply difficult usage along with hundreds of other potential issues. Many of these are issues that can't be solved by an 'automated' system, so something that a CMS alone can't solve.

I'm not saying the proposed solution isn't a step in the right direction or that it won't be helpful to site owners, as I've never seen it, but it isn't a silver bullet that could ever solve all of the issues (just as no CMS can solve all design/dev issues).

• Advertisement

I understand the low rate but its to get the business that are not already online - ONLINE. Its more expensive the more the customer wants (custimisation)!!

Agreed the CMS does and will always have a lag over static pages however with wireless tec the way its going this should not be "as much" as a prob previously - not to say it should not be addressed. Hopefully when you see the layout you will be impressed with the usability and the layout. Navigation and web page usage is key for all websites desktop mobile etc!

But a central platform from which your site will resolve according (basic against platform) doesn't sound too bad for a few bob a month??

I understand the low rate but its to get the business that are not already online - ONLINE.

And what about http://www.gettingbusinessonline.ie/ ?

Because its provides a very very basic structure - I'm not for once saying its a bad service -I'm just upping the game on that per say. In fact any customers that are venturing into web and are concerned about budgets I put onto that program straight away.

I'm just offering something a little bit "more professional" at a little extra cost?

Someone worrying about a budget of €15 per month doesn't have a business worth pursuing in my opinion.

I agree I could be selling myself a little short on this but I could max it out to the first 20/30 companies and see what the reaction is like. As I as thats the base rate there is a plan for 49 sheets an month which includes tec support and custimisation.

15 euro is the frame work and the functionality and input post launch is done at an hourly rate. (there is a config time of 30 mins included to show the users how to use the site).

I generally recommend the 29 euro a month which includes 2 hours of updates each month (image/editing, text layouts etc).

• Advertisement

I agree I could be selling myself a little short on this but I could max it out to the first 20/30 companies and see what the reaction is like. As I as thats the base rate there is a plan for 49 sheets an month which includes tec support and custimisation.

15 euro is the frame work and the functionality and input post launch is done at an hourly rate. (there is a config time of 30 mins included to show the users how to use the site).

I generally recommend the 29 euro a month which includes 2 hours of updates each month (image/editing, text layouts etc).
    I'm sure you've heard the phrase "pay peanuts, get monkeys"... This is what a lot of people will think when they hear your prices.

This is true but if the product stands up against the price ... well as a famous lad once said " who am i to resist....! " I could also completely pan and thats that but for now I suppose those reviews will have to wait until I launch one of the sites! If I get a couple of the sites going and you can see the standard hopefully I can change your mind to my webmonkey work!

smash wrote: »
    I'm sure you've heard the phrase "pay peanuts, get monkeys"... This is what a lot of people will think when they hear your prices.

I agree with this. 29 quid a month which includes 2 hours of updates. . . ?

I know designers hate giving out prices in public but generally you would expect the 50 quid an hour range for "decent" work.

charging so little not only ruins getting a decent wage for yourself but it leaves designers who do this full time having to drive down price just to compete and will end up working for nothing.

In my (admittedly little) experience, the clients looking to pay next to nothing will usually make you chase them for it too, and expect the most from you

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Have you done a cost analyses on your €15 & €29 month package.

you need to look at cost of everything

Domain name is it a .ie or .com. A .ie will be €2 a month
    Hosting for a decent reliable hosting will be about €4 month (until you have enough clients to justify a private server or even a VPS)

Cost of electricity (this can be worked out at cost per month / total number of clients
    Cost of Phone, to at least appear professional you will need a land line and mobile.
    Cost of internet
    Cost of your own website
    Cost of equipment/deprecation of that equipment

Are you planning to work from home or are you factoring in cost of an office. If working from home you will need to factor in travel time/cost to visit customers.

VAT is this included in your price, are you able to do your own VAT returns or will you have to employ an accountant.

when taking all that into account what month in the clients billing do you break even and then start making a profit?

What type of contract are you proposing to the customer 12 months? 24 months? whats to stop a company from leaving once the contract is finished? have you factored in the % of new start up's that fail/companies that end up going out of business.

Whats your projections of turn over for year 1,2 etc

Take into account all the above will need to be costed and paid before you even take a wage out of the enterprise.

Only after all this is looked at should you spend your time looking at which CMS os best

Figure out will it work before you look at how it will work

Omega outlay is already done - the type of client on this type of package would not have dedicated hosting so a shared box ( i think 20 per package if say you used a hosting package of known Irish provider). I think you might have mis interpreted my idea. This is just a web package and not the only sites I will do. The 15 euro math is simple - create the product (work all at the start) then sell to client. The cost is the framework and the multiple platform for responsive design and the social media integration. Any work or time needed post launch is done at a chargeable rate (similar to what is being spoken of above). All costs are controlled ! So say 20 clients opted in that is 300/600 euro a month that is generated without any additional work being done by myself yet the cost is very attractive to client!

Here is the almost completed solution. I haven't yet decided which gallery script to use hence the listings and need to touch up the gallery on the mobile site - I have also turned off the iPad platform as I need to re code the library for the swiping through articles. Let me know your thoughts all reviews good or bad are welcome. Also ignore the domain name its just used for testing.

http://www.wouldyougiveusabreak.com/

(PS I have to put it back though the validator)

The fonts are awful on it.

what would you use instead? Constantly using Tahoma as its a "clean" font but thought Minion Pro Med/Times New Roman would have more of an edge. Are they ok for the titles?

Also is that for both the mobile and the desktop of the font ok for the mobile platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

well as a famous lad once said " who am i to resist....! "

Name of the famous lad might back this up a bit more :/

• Advertisement

Is that a positive or negative?

Open for business! Who are you to resist it, huh?! C'mon, my last paycheck bounced! My children need wine! Doubt the famous guy in Simpson's will back me up so!!

I also have the theme in cleaner color will try with different fonts, quite like open sans might give that a whirl?

Advertisement