Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

When minions use corporate-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

"That's my song" sorry love. Unless you wrote it, them it's not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I was in a particularly tedious training course yesterday, where the highlight was hearing the term 'parking lot' being used as a verb. After someone asked a random question, the presenter said 'Lets parking lot that for later.' Probably the worst example of office speak I've ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was in a particularly tedious training course yesterday, where the highlight was hearing the term 'parking lot' being used as a verb. After someone asked a random question, the presenter said 'Lets parking lot that for later.' Probably the worst example of office speak I've ever heard
    Jesus Christ that's the most annoying thing I've seen on this thread in a long time, and that is really saying something. Bravo that presenter, they've raised the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Q:"Where did you get that?"
    Annoying answer:"Lidls"/"Aldis"....you wouldn't say "Supervalus" if you bought it in that establishment,so why the extra "s" in these cases???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Really??have to say I've never heard it...don't know if I could cope if I did:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I hate it when anyone uses the year to add weight to their statement.

e.g. "It's 2017 and we still have x"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭trashcan

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Annoying answer:"Lidls"/"Aldis"....you wouldn't say "Supervalus" if you bought it in that establishment,so why the extra "s" in these cases???

Have heard Tescos though. I think maybe it comes from habit of shops like Dunnes, Penny's, Roches etc.

I presume it's because of Dunne's, which makes sense, so it got transposed to where large shopping centres just take the possessive: Tesco's, Lidl's, etc.

Actually it's quite endearing when you think about it in those terms IMHO.

EDIT: Trashcan JUST beat me to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have a few, but the one I heard today

"Money can't buy you happiness"

It can if you're not some sod with a load of problems that money can't fix or even lessen!

That Parking Lot one is a very common one where I work. You'll hear it a lot if you work using Agile methodology!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"Says you". Usually come from a lad like that Daithi fella. "Sure that's it says you".
    I have never met you before, how do you think you know what I say?
    The one I hate the most. "Well for some"

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    "Says you". Usually come from a lad like that Daithi fella. "Sure that's it says you".
    I have never met you before, how do you think you know what I say?
    The one I hate the most. "Well for some"

In a similar vein.. "as the fella says"/"as the man says"...what fella/man??...usually in relation to something you have never heard a fella/man say....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

jojofizzio wrote: »

Not related to this but it made me think. People that say a hens/stags weekend instead of a hen/stag weekend.

Usually people from Dublin "I was on my hens weekend in Liverpool"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

"Our troops are overseas fighting for our freedom"
    No they are shooting children and goat farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭pgj2015

university of life

pgj2015 wrote: »
    university of life
    Full time mad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

Autochange wrote: »
    "Our troops are overseas fighting for our freedom"
    No they are shooting children and goat farmers

This one always gets me; "Thanks to our troops for protecting our freedom"... Your freedom was never realistically under any threat from any foreign enemy but keep trotting out that line so it distracts them as their own government erodes their freedom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

The word “gee”. It’s a fucking horrible word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

pgj2015 wrote: »
    university of life

School of hard knocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

"You guys"

We are a retired couple and adressed so by a young adult . It grates on my last nerve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"so it is"
    "so it does"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"Touch wood" I have no idea what it means, I cringe when hear someone say it and they look around for a piece of wood to touch. Do they not realise how ridiculous it is?
    Me : How did Pat get on in his exams?
    Person : The results aren't out yet, but, touch wood, he'll be grand.

"Beside himself" What the fůck does this mean?
    Person A : Did you hear about poor Paddy the other night?
    Person B : I did, poor Mary is beside herself

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Nonce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Bae. F**k OFF !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's not an expression, just a word but I hate the way some people start a story with "So...". It's completely redundant and I think it sounds stupid. I was watching someone on the telly the other day and she used 'so' in every sentence at least once but often twice, and always at the start of a sentence.

People do it on Boards all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's not an expression, just a word but I hate the way some people start a story with "So...". It's completely redundant and I think it sounds stupid. I was watching someone on the telly the other day and she used 'so' in every sentence at least once but often twice, and always at the start of a sentence.

People do it on Boards all of the time.

It's worse when they end with it...

'Soooo.... ... yeah!!'.

Ah sure way to sound moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I worked with the loveliest of lovely ladies and I hate cribbing about it but she had the most annoying habit of ending absolutely every sentence with "and that...". Especially on the phone, and she was wicked loud when speaking on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Creeping Americanisms....

Black Friday.

'Thoughts and prayers.'

Advertisement