Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

cantdecide wrote: »
    I worked with the loveliest of lovely ladies and I hate cribbing about it but she had the most annoying habit of ending absolutely every sentence with "and that...". Especially on the phone, and she was wicked loud when speaking on the phone.

I worked with a lovely girl who used the phrase " Do you know what I mean " so often that it became " jaameen "
    So every sentence ended with " jaameen ." :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭trashcan

I worked with the loveliest of lovely ladies and I hate cribbing about it but she had the most annoying habit of ending absolutely every sentence with "and that...". Especially on the phone, and she was wicked loud when speaking on the phone.

Reminds me of the Apres Match Didi Hamman impersonation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I worked with a lovely girl who used the phrase " Do you know what I mean " so often that it became " jaameen "
    So every sentence ended with " jaameen ." :D:D

I hope you like jaameen too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I probably should be on the front cover of time magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

"talk to ya" when two people saying good bye

and on radio interview

"y'know i mean" - thanks to jaameen above who reminded me of that

"the whatyamaycallit" when they cannot remember word

people who use the persons name at end of every sentence

and the tesco self service machine which says "scan your card to win clubcard points" when you do not win them, you pay for them. i don't even have a card but still hear it

axed for asked. borned for born. pacific for specific.

"i axed him when he was borned and he said he was borned sometime in the 1970's but he could not be more pacific than that"

how and ever for however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Replacing 'very' with 'wicked'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I hate to see on chat forums when people are asking randomers advice about having a 3rd/5th/11th child - 'you'll regret the ones you don't have'.

"we" or "we're going to" on a youtube video or any "how to" video. who is the we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Creeping Americanisms....
    Black Friday.
    'Thoughts and prayers.'

I know a guy who talks with a slight American accent despite the fact he's from Sligo.

Says things like "Awesome, gross, sweater, sidewalk, elevator".

I think its from having no social life and watching every American TV show under the sun. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

and the tesco self service machine which says "scan your card to win clubcard points" when you do not win them, you pay for them. i don't even have a card but still hear it

I always thought the machine said "scan your card to earn clubcard points. Now that I know what they actually say I'm going to be annoyed every time I'm in Tesco!

I hate when people say Tesco's.

"I have to buy some stuff for dinner later, I'll just pop in to Tesco's on the way home." Why do you put the s at the end? You don't do it to SuperValu, Lidl or Aldi, so why Tesco?!?!?

I also have begun detesting "go ahead".

"I'll just go ahead and send that e-mail."

And people staying sentences with "So" and "I mean".

"So, I bought a beautiful pair of shoes for €20 last week! Did you buy anything in the sales?"

"I mean, I meant to go looking at some stuff but I just didn't have the time."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Early doors
    Mate

Piss off back to ingerland with that nonsense

@MissMayo. No it's win where I go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

I was in a particularly tedious training course yesterday, where the highlight was hearing the term 'parking lot' being used as a verb. After someone asked a random question, the presenter said 'Lets parking lot that for later.' Probably the worst example of office speak I've ever heard

Jesus Christ that is awful!

Do people not realise how ridiculous they sound?

Working in an open plan office you hear a lot of this shíte being bandied about, conversations between management types filled with pointless crap like “in terms of...” and “from a ___ perspective”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Jesus Christ that is awful!

Do people not realise how ridiculous they sound?

Working in an open plan office you hear a lot of this shíte being bandied about, conversations between management types filled with pointless crap like “in terms of...” and “from a ___ perspective”

A bit more blue sky thinking and you'll feel the same going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭donegal_man

A bit more blue sky thinking and you'll feel the same going forward

Only if you run it up the flagpole outside the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

"Ah, tanx chicken" .

*eyelid twitch*

"You can't trust anyone these days" as if there was a time you could trust anyone i.e everyone. There were always dishonest people

"You can't trust anyone these days" as if there was a time you could trust anyone i.e everyone. There were always dishonest people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

'and then some'

The house in Dublin cost €500k, and then some

It sounds lame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

500k ?! ......And the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I wouldn't please him/her.

Hate that phrase. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'and then some'

It sounds lame

"And then some" what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ye DOPE..........ironically usually said by someone who failed their junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Well for ya/well for some.

"My bad" is creeping in here. I heard a fella say it the other day, and I had to turn around as I could feel myself blushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

"Took to Twitter"

"Baby bump"

"Babymoon"

There are more but I can feel myself wishing to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One thing I could never understand is the people who put an 'r' into Chicago. Making it Chicargo, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

One thing I could never understand is the people who put an 'r' into Chicago. Making it Chicargo, for some reason.

Chapelizord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

"D'ya know, in that sort of way"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Something I've heard a lot in the last year or two is when someone answers a question with "Yeah, no...."

What the f'*k is that all about?

"You must find the commute very tough, do you?"

"Yeah, no, I don't take much notice really"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Some Americans are guilty of that and they should know better. What about Irish people calling Baltimore in Cork Balltimore

Advertisement