Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light Gaming Build, please comment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭conorhickey

you would get better prices on hardwareversand.de

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paramenio

Yes I just tried there, yes it will be 80 euro less. Thanks

But what do you think about the machine. Are the components ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Paramenio wrote: »
    Yes I just tried there, yes it will be 80 euro less. Thanks

But what do you think about the machine. Are the components ok?
    Define "OK". What is your budget? What do you want from your computer? Answer these questions given at the top of the forum's page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭conorhickey

That's a very similar build to mine it's very good build for the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I've got a very similar rig, but a couple of years older.

Beef up the graphics card, even if you need to cut down on CPU and RAM.
    You won't see a difference between 4GB and 8GB RAM, but you will certainly see the benefit of a stronger GPU.

And if you can stretch to it, thrown in an SSD as your system drive.
    64GB is plenty and the difference is phenomenal.

-edit- Actually, prioritize SSD over the graphics card

Gurgle wrote: »
    I've got a very similar rig, but a couple of years older.

Beef up the graphics card, even if you need to cut down on CPU and RAM.
    You won't see a difference between 4GB and 8GB RAM, but you will certainly see the benefit of a stronger GPU.

And if you can stretch to it, thrown in an SSD as your system drive.
    64GB is plenty and the difference is phenomenal.

It all depends on what games you're playing. MMO's like GW2 and WoW are heavily CPU bound. True you won't see much difference between 4GB and 8GB but, why not go 8GB. RAM is so dirt cheap now.

An SSD would make a big difference and they're getting cheaper. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/56866/Samsung+SSD+830+128GB+SATA+6GB%27s+Basic.article

Are we just presuming that its a gaming rig? We don't even have a budget with which to work and people are putting builds together. Am I missing something here?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Are we just presuming that its a gaming rig? We don't even have a budget with which to work and people are putting builds together. Am I missing something here?

No, we don't know what it's for (well, light gaming. But what games?). I just put up something similar to his build only cheaper.

Are we just presuming that its a gaming rig?
    There is the thread title...

• Advertisement

No, we don't know what it's for (well, light gaming. But what games?). I just put up something similar to his build only cheaper.
    Sure, but I just don't think it's productive to do so until we have a clear idea of budget and goals. Light gaming can mean a lot if different things.

Sure, but I just don't think it's productive to do so until we have a clear idea of budget and goals. Light gaming can mean a lot if different things.

True, light gaming could mean farmVille for all we know.:)

Thanks to all
    Well its for gaming. Like battlefield. And I want to use it on a 46 inch HD TV for browsing and movies so probably nice GPU is a must If Im not wrong
    Price would be nice to be below 500

Thanks to all
    Well its for gaming. Like battlefield. And I want to use it on a 46 inch HD TV for browsing and movies so probably nice GPU is a must If Im not wrong
    Price would be nice to be below 500

Just fill this out and it will be easier for us to help.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

1. What is your budget? € 500-600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Internet/ Movies HD] (MOH, Battlefield, F1)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? (NO)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No] I`ll use 46 inch full HD TV

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [NA.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [NO]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe] I dont know what is that :)

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [ASAP]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [ Dublin 15]

That's a very similar build to mine it's very good build for the price
    Thanks
    I dont know as much as you guys about this things, so thats why I asked for opinion.
    It seems nice to build your own machine, but you need knowledge

Is i3 beter than Phenom II 965 ?

Is an apple better than a sandwich?

In general, a 3.4GHz i3 is better than a 3.4GHz Phenom II but a €150 Phenom II is better than a €150 i3.
    :D

Find two chips (or systems) with the same price and compare the cpus here:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Phenom II x4 965 gets 4,395
    Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.30GHz gets 4,283
    Intel Core i3-3225 @ 3.30GHz gets 4,530

Thanks
    I dont know as much as you guys about this things, so thats why I asked for opinion.

Same really but, the i3 platform has a better upgrade path.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks

They are pretty well the same, the 965 would be a little better at most other heavily multithreaded tasks and the the i3 is slightly better for gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=677.

The games you have listed will mainly be GPU bound, so you wouldn't really notice any difference in gaming performance between them TBH.

Tough call, but personally as the 965BE is €22 less on HWVS, I'd be putting that cash towards bumping the HD7770 up to a HD7850, which will have a more significant effect on gaming performance than the CPU.

The AM3+ socket still has one more generation of CPUs to come next year, so you will still have upgrade possibilities either way.

I think Ill go for the AMD core,

and Can I go for Nvidea or AMD graphics regardles what s the motherboard and processor?

• Advertisement

I think Ill go for the AMD core,

and Can I go for Nvidea or AMD graphics regardles what s the motherboard and processor?

Yep, whichever gives the best performance per €
    There's no CPU/GPU dependence for Desktops.

I think you missed the bit about adding an SSD and getting a better graphics card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The AMD 965 + ATI 7850 would be faster than that for gaming. Also, I am not familiar with that PSU brand, sounds a bit cheapy, stick to the super flower 80+, I know its more cash but you do not want a cheapy PSU in the system, it's the worst place to try and save cash

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The AMD 965 + ATI 7850 would be faster than that for gaming. Also, I am not familiar with that PSU brand, sounds a bit cheapy, stick to the super flower 80+, I know its more cash but you do not want a cheapy PSU in the system, it's the worst place to try and save cash
    which 7850, 1 or 2 gb ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

which 7850, 1 or 2 gb ?

At the moment it doesn't really matter too much as the 1GB tends to perform about the same as the 2GB @1080p resolutions.

Althouh I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a couple of games that can make use of more than 1GB at that resolution over the next year or two, so if possible it might be worth stretching to the 2GB for a small bit of extra future proofing.

But if the budget can stretch no further than the 1GB then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Based solely on current games the 1GB is definitely the winner in the price/performance department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Change that PSU! I'm certain that It'd blow up if you were to put it in your system...

Hi

I "build" the PC today. But ....

Just tried to start up. And the PC is running but there is nothing on the TV.
    Does not start even the bios.?

I went trough the connetions and seams all ok.
    monitor is my TV and I use HDMI cable.

Any suggestions
    Please

I used to connect the MB with 20 + 4 connector together from the pws. Do I need to move the 4 pin connector up to where it is the EATX12V???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Hi

I "build" the PC today. But ....

Just tried to start up. And the PC is running but there is nothing on the TV.
    Does not start even the bios.?

I went trough the connetions and seams all ok.
    monitor is my TV and I use HDMI cable.

Any suggestions
    Please

I used to connect the MB with 20 + 4 connector together from the pws. Do I need to move the 4 pin connector up to where it is the EATX12V???

Where do you have the HDMI cable plugged into? It should be connected to your graphic card's HDMI port.

• Advertisement

from hdmi on gpu to hdmi on tv

:) Finally. I missed to connect the EATX12V.

So HDMI is just fine for first boot ! just to know for future generations :)

Cheers

My first build ... :) I like it

The only mistake that I made is my choice of case and using the cpu fan that comes with AMD X4 Phantom II.
    Its extremely loud . but I mean extremely.

I need to get new cpu fan, some that is very quiet, because my case its open from the top for extra fan and the noise from the CPU is very noticeable.

So please if some one can recommend quiet Cpu fan

Thanks

Advertisement