Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyrim DLC - DragonBorn

• 05-11-2012 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Need I say more ...... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Interesting. Morrowind's Bloodmoon was set in Solstheim and I still think it was the best expansion to any Elder Scrolls game. There's a strong look of the Morrowind architecture at 0:24 too which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Needs to bring something good to the table to keep my attention. Skyrim, though I enjoyed it, just didn't have the charm of Oblivion for me. I tried a 2nd playthrough but I just lost interest, even with Dawngaurd.

I'll still get it but I hope it'll be good. It does look interesting, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It looks good from the video but so did dawnguard and that was pretty poor in the end so ill be waiting this time before buying.

Yeah I bought Dawnguard and didn't even bother to finish it. Just felt like more busy work on the same map I'd already put 100 hours into, then there was the fact the main selling point of the whole thing - being a vampire - was a massive pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just stopped playing 20h I'm as it was as shallow as Tetris for me.
    So I tried to give it a go again yesterday. Did some cannibal quest and turned it off for the same reason above.
    Them I decided to give a fresh start and make a new game, but I just could not even finish the horse ride and quited. Uninstalled. And freed up a vast space for other games on ssd.

I really wanted to like this game as open world in skyrim matched with that soundtrack can be a wonderfull place, but I just can't get over the dullness of the game itself :(. No dlc will save it for me :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dragon riding :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Absolutely love Skyrim, one of my favourite games of the last 4/5 years. I've completed every non-radiant quest in the game bar Dawnguard, couldn't justify spending €15 on a reportedly mediocre questline without any new areas. I was hoping for it to go on sale on Steam over Hallowe'en but it looks like it'll be the Christmas sale.

Dragon mounts alone are enough to justify buying this on release though, looks very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Put 60 odd hours into Skyrim. Can't see myself going back to anything based on that engine. This looks no different. The fighting system is so painful at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It took them this long to put this out? The dlc for this game has been and continues to be poo :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wow am I the only person who really, really loves Skyrim? I even like Dawnguard. I've lost count of the number of playthroughs I've done and I can honestly say on each one I find something new. So I'm really looking forward to this. I got the game as a present though so I don't mind too much paying for the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Hmm, I dunno...

Never finished Skryim itself, but at the same time I know I will eventually go back, as I did several times with Oblivion.

I'll probably wait until Steam do a special on the DLC's and pick them up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's at a point now where there is no logical reason for me to replay the game. Sure, I could go and explore more and see stuff I hadn't the first three times but it's not an enjoyable accomplishment and I dont think any amount of DLC for Skyrim will make me go back.

Thoroughly enjoyed it but unlike the Fallout games, just didn't have the replay value for me.

Huh? :p

I loved Skyrim and still play it from time to time. Still haven't cleared either of the main quests, or Dawnguard, but will definitely get to them at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Skyrim ruled, pumped more hours into it than any other game in my Steam library, 130+ hours on my single playthrough - no interest in playing it again as my library of unplayed games is so vast. Haven't bought Dawnguard yet but will do so if it features in the Christmas sale.

Adyx wrote: »
    Wow am I the only person who really, really loves Skyrim? I even like Dawnguard. I've lost count of the number of playthroughs I've done and I can honestly say on each one I find something new. So I'm really looking forward to this. I got the game as a present though so I don't mind too much paying for the DLC.

Oh it was brilliant. Played the first 40 hours without blinking an eye. I'm just completely done with it now. I never finished the thieves guild nor the companions. I went to restart the game to do them but never even got to Whiterun. I'm not sure what happened. I just don't care any more for anything in the game's world which is a shame. I barely scratched the surface of most towns other than Whiterun and Riften.

I wish they never implemented the way the world levels with you. I would prefer if some areas were incredibly tough so that you had no choice but stick to easier areas at the start so there was some kind of linear path in front of the player. Having too much choice almost immobilizes and overwhelms me

Grimebox wrote: »
    Oh it was brilliant. Played the first 40 hours without blinking an eye. I'm just completely done with it now. I never finished the thieves guild nor the companions. I went to restart the game to do them but never even got to Whiterun. I'm not sure what happened. I just don't care any more for anything in the game's world which is a shame. I barely scratched the surface of most towns other than Whiterun and Riften.

I wish they never implemented the way the world levels with you. I would prefer if some areas were incredibly tough so that you had no choice but stick to easier areas at the start so there was some kind of linear path in front of the player. Having too much choice almost immobilizes and overwhelms me
    That's fair enough I suppose. I know the levelling system annoyed most people. I usually just pick a direction and start walking in it and do whatever quests I come across. All the mods help too.

Anyway back on topic: Did anyone else think that guys mask in the trailer looked like a falmer helmet? It was the first thing that came to me when I saw a pic on UESPWiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Grimebox wrote: »

Are you sure this is the case ?
    I know it was with Oblivion, but Skyrim I think there were areas you needed to be at a high level to get past. There is no way you can fight forsaken or giants etc at lvl1-5

It's not quite the same as Oblivion but the mechanics are still fairly similar if i remember correctly. I think it's a little better but sometimes that if you go into a nordic ruin for example at level 3 and then return later at level 50 the draugr will still be low level.

Obviously this means they don't level up with you which is what people seemed to be complaining most about in Oblivion, however it also means the game can get extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty. It never really bothered me as I like to explore and experience the world rather than be challenged by trying and failing to get past a draugr death overlord at level 5 (or even a bear for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Jaysus didn't expect such negativity to be honest :confused:

Anyway, I think a DLC like this is well needed. Dragon riding and Morrowind. What more could you ask for ?

It's what a lot of Elder scroll fans wanted. To go back to Morrowind. I think this will blow Dawnguard out of the water.

But I will agree, Bethesda really need to update they're engines. The fighting system is fairly woeful for such a vast open world game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

there are far too many fetch quests in skyrim and i imagine this will be the same.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Are you sure this is the case ?
    I know it was with Oblivion, but Skyrim I think there were areas you needed to be at a high level to get past. There is no way you can fight forsaken or giants etc at lvl1-5

I don't know about forsaken but I killed the very first giant I came across. Just need any bow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's fair enough I suppose. I know the levelling system annoyed most people. I usually just pick a direction and start walking in it and do whatever quests I come across. All the mods help too.

Anyway back on topic: Did anyone else think that guys mask in the trailer looked like a falmer helmet? It was the first thing that came to me when I saw a pic on UESPWiki.

thats the best way to play it :)

I haven't even finished skyrim yet,never mind dawnguard,anyway there's no release date for pc users yet ;-|

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭klose

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Jaysus didn't expect such negativity to be honest :confused:

Anyway, I think a DLC like this is well needed. Dragon riding and Morrowind. What more could you ask for ?

It's what a lot of Elder scroll fans wanted. To go back to Morrowind. I think this will blow Dawnguard out of the water.

But I will agree, Bethesda really need to update they're engines. The fighting system is fairly woeful for such a vast open world game.

New open woerd areas is exactly what the game needs, dawn guard had some but not a whole lot. This looks good and will certainly check it out.

Id love for some dlc to go to black marsh or elswyr! Going to morrowind will be cool and all but it's been done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I loved every minute of skyrim, one of my favourite games (as was oblivion). But I played it on PS3 so looks like I won't be playing this DLC (or dawnguard) anytime soon.

Pretty crazy they can't get it sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It's not quite the same as Oblivion but the mechanics are still fairly similar if i remember correctly. I think it's a little better but sometimes that if you go into a nordic ruin for example at level 3 and then return later at level 50 the draugr will still be low level.

Obviously this means they don't level up with you which is what people seemed to be complaining most about in Oblivion, however it also means the game can get extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty. It never really bothered me as I like to explore and experience the world rather than be challenged by trying and failing to get past a draugr death overlord at level 5 (or even a bear for that matter).

Fatal flaw means there must be high level guys in there from the beginning, how much balls would the game suck if all you ever did by chance was meet these guys.

I still think Skyrim is the best game of 2011, I ploughed over 100 hours into and loved it. But I'm pretty much done with it and after the disappointment of the previous DLC, if Dragonborn doesn't offer something really different, I don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

I'll be honest here, I just really love the Dawnguard heavy armour. It looks so friggin' badass!

...I also agree with all of the positive things everyone is saying, and disagree with all the negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Skyrim has a ****ty world with no immersive qualities. Oblivion had tons of NPCs and interesting quests. Its not a bad game just I can't play it for hours straight like I did with Oblivion because I don't care about the world. The dungeons are straight lines, the cities are tiny and everyone sounds the exact same nearly worse than Oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I think it's actually one of the most detailed worlds in an rpg, aside from the beauty of the engine and it's various bugs, second rate combat it has racked up from me an unholy amount of gameplay.

have to agree with you about the voice acting, but that's bethesda for you, fallout 3 and nv was the same, and they didnt look half as good as skyrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Did anyone download many mods from the Steam Workshop - or can recommend some really good ones for GUI/Graphics ?

Also, one you subscribe, and they area ticked after your restart of the game - they are installed ? or is there anything else you need to do to enable them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I found Oblivion's world to be quite boring in comparison to Skyrim's, it just seemed endless and bland. Skyrim actually feels a lot smaller although it's not, probably because it has an abundance of locations and things to do. However it is significantly more depressing to look at. I agree that the quest lines and characters are 1 dimensional. Although some quests are odd enough to be memorable, specifically some of the daedra quests. I've nearly completed it now, I would say Morrowind tops them all for the oddness of its world. Oblivion is basically fantasy by the numbers ditto for Skyrim, with the whole appeal to the mass market commandment I can't really see another game like Morrowind being made, it would probably be too 'risky.' I won't be in a hurry though to buy another Bethesda game, they are, as has already been mentioned, timesinks, games which drag you in where you keep playing after a point at which you're not even having that much fun anymore, because of obsessive completionism.

Advertisement