Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a male, hand-raised lutino cockatiel?

• 05-11-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My girlfriend is looking to buy a male, hand raised lutino cockatiel. We are based in Dublin. She wants to make sure that it is male and hand raised because she heard that these make the best human companions and they can learn to speak some words too (unlike females who are more reserved and don't try to communicate). Could anyone please recommend a reputable place in Dublin where we could get what were looking for? Also any idea on price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have no idea, but you could try Shauna's pet shop on Capel st, right by the bridge. They are really knowledgeable and lovely- they seem to often have hand reared birds in, so they might know. They're also very concerned about where the animals they sell go- they refused to sell someone a bird one day because the guy wanted to buy the smallest, cheapest cage for him. I always think when that happens, you'll be safe knowing that where they get their animals from will be reputable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Don't buy from a pet shop. Their hand reared birds are often not handled after they are fully grown so are not really tamed down.

Try and get one from a small family breeder, maybe with just 1 breeding pair where you know the chick is raised by a number of people in a family envoirnment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hand raised isn't always ideal a chick raised by parents can be just as tame you have to put the work in either way, tiels can be grumpy either way, but they are great fun as well. I'd prefer a bird that was fed naturally by the parents and learns basic birdy behaviour I don't actually agree with handrearing unless there's a genuine reason e.g. parents lost interest.

But I do agree that a responsible breeder is key, all I can say is avoid two places in co wicklow I guess I can't say where or maybe consider getting a rescue bird. Lots of people rehome their tiels because they haven't enough time anymore for them that's how I got our lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

pm me and i will give you a contact number for a man who breeds and shows cockatiels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

If that fails try asking here

http://www.irishparrots.com/

or

on R.O.I Bird Trader on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Bought my cockatiel a few years ago in the pet store Gullivers retail park in Ballymun. I spotted him in a cage on his own looking very bedraggled and with his plume in bits - apparently he had been attacked by budgies so they put him on his own. Felt sorry for him so bought him. Very clever bird - the kids were playing with my phone one afternoon and he picked up the ringtones. Says good morning, calls the dog and sings a few tunes. A cute character with a mind of his own who will come and sit on your shoulder if and when he feels like it. :D
    Cost around E30 but I think they are about E50 ish now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Go to bird jungle in crumlin , there's one on keeper road and their new shop on the main crumlin road across from Aib.they are without doubt the best place in Leinster if not Ireland for hand reared birds.Eugene the chap that owns the shop feeds them himself and usually has a range of young birds that he's hand feeding in the shop , he takes them home at night to feed them as well.

I bought my first hand reared cockatiel from him ten years ago and have since bought an African Grey hand reared and a lovely dwarf rabbit for my daughter .at the start of this year I bought a hand reared pied cockatiel and a large parakeet cage for €140 , he gave me seeds , toys and vitamins as well for that price.
    I also got my niece a hand reared budgie from him and she brings it back to him for wings and nails to be clipped once a year.You really will not find a better place for birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

Thanks very much for the replies people. I ended up calling all over Dublin and most places (including the bird cage) couldnt help me with getting a hand reared one. We ended up getting one from Des, the owner of the pet shop in tallaght and he got it from Copsewood Aviaries in co. Wicklow. So far we're happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

Thanks very much for the replies people. I ended up calling all over Dublin and most places (including the bird cage) couldnt help me with getting a hand reared one. We ended up getting one from Des, the owner of the pet shop in tallaght and he got it from Copsewood Aviaries in co. Wicklow. So far we're happy with it.

Advertisement