Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas ads galore!

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice the massive amount of Christmas ads on the Tv? I don't remember this many ads..this time last year. I love Christmas to the point that i almost wet myself when i see *the* ultimate christmas ad come on the tv...BUT... I just don't feel ready yet for ALL these ads!!!

Every year, we would wait in anticipation...which will be the first ad this year

(I thnk it turned out to be an ad for sofas...2 weeks before halloween!!) :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

(I thnk it turned out to be an ad for sofas...2 weeks before halloween!!) :eek:
    I think the sofa ad was for guaranteed Christmas delivery if you ordered a sofa before November 20th or something, so I guess they couldn't have the ad on too late.

I don't watch much TV and I sky+ everything I do, so I never really see any ads, Christmas or otherwise. :o

I make an exception though, when I'm looking out for the Coca cola commercial though, of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Posy wrote: »
    I think the sofa ad was for guaranteed Christmas delivery if you ordered a sofa before November 20th or something, so I guess they couldn't have the ad on too late.

I don't watch much TV and I sky+ everything I do, so I never really see any ads, Christmas or otherwise. :o

I make an exception though, when I'm looking out for the Coca cola commercial though, of course! :D

3 xmas ads in a row last nite on rte2
    The O2 ad was one of them

They will all be flying out now in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This was on last night - love it!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love Christmas Ads on the telly! You can't beat the Budweiser ad or the Coca Cola one or the Cornflakes one, all time classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

It's the budweiser ad I'm holding out for. From what I can recall there is usually a bit of a lull for a couple of weeks afer halloween, not this year though.. we have been thrown straight in to it. So you'd imagine I'd be happy!, cos I really am a child when it comes to Christmas, some of my american friends & family start putting up their decorations from Nov1st. I would be divorced, or shunned from the village if I put up our decorations before the first week of Dec... and even at that, I must do it like a military operation. Cos God forbid I might turn on the lights before the 8th!

Ohh...I have been stripped of the annual 'torment your husband about Christmas, even when you know it's way too early to even talk about it'.

Right I'm off to wash some windows :-)

• Advertisement

It's the budweiser ad I'm holding out for. From what I can recall there is usually a bit of a lull for a couple of weeks afer halloween, not this year though.. we have been thrown straight in to it. So you'd imagine I'd be happy!, cos I really am a child when it comes to Christmas, some of my american friends & family start putting up their decorations from Nov1st. I would be divorced, or shunned from the village if I put up our decorations before the first week of Dec... and even at that, I must do it like a military operation. Cos God forbid I might turn on the lights before the 8th!

Ohh...I have been stripped of the annual 'torment your husband about Christmas, even when you know it's way too early to even talk about it'.

Right I'm off to wash some windows :-)

As much as I love Christmas I think it's a bit early to be putting up the decorations at the beginning of November alright:eek:! I mean the house decorations - I don't mind the shops doing it at all!!:D

Wasn't sure about this at first but it has grown on me now that I've watched it about 10 times!:D

leahyl wrote: »
    Wasn't sure about this at first but it has grown on me now that I've watched it about 10 times!:D

I hadn't seen this ad (is it on sky? cos we got ky taken out)

It's lovely though, made to look old fashioned/traditional, and classic too.

I hadn't seen this ad (is it on sky? cos we got ky taken out)

It's lovely though, made to look old fashioned/traditional, and classic too.

It actually hasn't been aired on TV yet - a work colleague of mine got one of those emails from Debenhams with it so that's how I saw it - I think it's going to have its premiere tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Their ads are always really well done, and last years was particularly great.

This years shows the journey of a Snowman on his quest to get his true love a present for Christmas, as he treks over valleys and highways. It's rather sweet, and the song that is played is a cover of The Power of Love, by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which became a synomous christmas hit all those years ago. Cover could be in contention for Christmas Number one. A lot more subtle and tender than Frankies orginal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2012/nov/09/john-lewis-christmas-advert-video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Threads merged.
    Just a note if you see something that should be in an existing thread, please use the report post button and the mods can move it, rather than directing the poster as they cannot merge the thread themselves. Thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

star-pants wrote: »
    Threads merged.
    Just a note if you see something that should be in an existing thread, please use the report post button and the mods can move it, rather than directing the poster as they cannot merge the thread themselves. Thank you.

Sorry!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

My mother passed away four years ago and I have just not been able to look at the Guinness Christmas Ad since. It is a really melancholic ad and the music is very soulful but hopefully I will be able to if they use it again this year

My mother passed away four years ago and I have just not been able to look at the Guinness Christmas Ad since. It is a really melancholic ad and the music is very soulful but hopefully I will be able to if they use it again this year

Aww, Im sorry about that Moll, tis a tough time of the year when you've lost someone. You know she's still with you though, and if she loved Christmas, then it's the perfect time to honor her xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Favorite one so far is the Debenhams one with the gorgeous brunette in a red coat.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Favorite one so far is the Debenhams one with the gorgeous brunette in a red coat.

Debenhams one is magical this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Coke ad was on during X Factor, Christmas has started :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

• Advertisement

Have to say I love this years and last years John Lewis Christmas ad!! Almost brought a tear to my eye watching it last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This advert is so excellent it deserves it's own thread

I assure you, you will not be dissapointed.

One of the best Xmas ads ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8axp9nHNU (Link fixed)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Link isn't working but I'm assuming you mean the new one with the snowman. IMO doesn't come close to last years one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o

I absolutely LOVE it!! Not ashamed to say it's made me shed a tear or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

sunrise91 wrote: »
    Link isn't working but I'm assuming you mean the new one with the snowman. IMO doesn't come close to last years one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o

I absolutely LOVE it!! Not ashamed to say it's made me shed a tear or two!

Must say i loved last years one also, john lewis make incredible ads! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seems pretty boring..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love all things Christmas but I really don't like that ad. I find it a bit creepy or something. Not a fan of the M&S or Debenhams ads this year either. I really wanted to like them!

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

I actually love this ad. I felt a tingle when watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

So far the only ad I've seen and liked is the O2 Winter Song ad - love it!

I hate the Super Value ad (it's way too cheesy) and I think the M&S and Debenhams ones are pretty boring.

I liked the 2011 John Lewis ad.

Just waiting on the Guinness one - that's my fave.

just saw the Asda one & the John Lewis. The Asda one is funny, & accurate...could be any one of us! The John Lewis one is brilliant! Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

The Debenhams ad is good but the random bra and knickers scene detracts from it. A blond in skimpy sexy underwear has no place in a Christmas ad. About the only place I would not like to see her but not in Christmas ads. It makes a classy ad cheap and tacky.

The John Lewis ad is better and really well done. The music is excellent and I'll be putting it on my iphone. Just not sure Vampires and hidden claws are really in keeping with the spirit of christmas.

Nope for me my favourites are still:
    1 Guinness ad. The first bongs of the season echo through my heart like a beacon telling me its Christmas.
    2 Kelloggs ad from the 80s. Brings me back to when I was a kid. You just have to smile.
    3. Budweiser and Coke tie for 3rd. Back to a time when an American Christmas seemed the ideal compared to drab old Ireland.

Advertisement