Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas ads galore!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Totally agree about the blonde in the lingerie in the Debenhams ad - I mean WTF! Totally out of place - otherwise I love it - the music is great.

I think the Boots ad and the Marks ad are pants!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Is it just me or do the new Christmas ads seem very homely,i like them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Totally agree about the blonde in the lingerie in the Debenhams ad - I mean WTF! Totally out of place - otherwise I love it - the music is great.

I think the Boots ad and the Marks ad are pants!!

Although it is extremely out of place they're pushing their brand and Debenhams do have an extensive lingerie department so they are obviously hoping to boost lingerie sales this Christmas!
    delw wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the new Christmas ads seem very homely,i like them

Have to agree, I thought that myself, I think a big part of it, is trying to tug on the heartstrings of people who may be missing family who have emigrated and who have strong memories of happier/homelier times. Associating your brand with such positive happy emotions is a good way to attempt to increase sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Asda one is great, apart from the slogan at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

touts wrote: »
    The Debenhams ad is good but the random bra and knickers scene detracts from it. A blond in skimpy sexy underwear has no place in a Christmas ad. About the only place I would not like to see her but not in Christmas ads. It makes a classy ad cheap and tacky.

The John Lewis ad is better and really well done. The music is excellent and I'll be putting it on my iphone. Just not sure Vampires and hidden claws are really in keeping with the spirit of christmas.

Nope for me my favourites are still:
    1 Guinness ad. The first bongs of the season echo through my heart like a beacon telling me its Christmas.
    2 Kelloggs ad from the 80s. Brings me back to when I was a kid. You just have to smile.
    3. Budweiser and Coke tie for 3rd. Back to a time when an American Christmas seemed the ideal compared to drab old Ireland.
    Oh I might have gotten it wrong. The snow man & woman in the front garden....I thought that was the John Lewis one. Maybe not. Either way, that one is lovely...so cute.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh I might have gotten it wrong. The snow man & woman in the front garden....I thought that was the John Lewis one. Maybe not. Either way, that one is lovely...so cute.!

No you're right the John Lewis one is the Snowman going to get a present with the cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's The Power of Love playing in the background.

Great ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

lockie1983 wrote: »
    No you're right the John Lewis one is the Snowman going to get a present with the cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's The Power of Love playing in the background.

Great ad!
    Isn't it brill? All the different facial expressions on the snowman! Gawd! I'm such a child! easily pleased, by an ad on the TV! Could be worse I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Did anyone see the spar christmas ad where they are decorating the tree on top of the spar - wasn't someone on here a few weeks back saying that they saw people shooting a Christmas ad at their local spar - in Dublin somewhere I think! Well its on now - it's pretty nice!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, I haven't seen that yet!

I haven't seen the CocaCola ad yet either, cannot wait to see it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Posy wrote: »
    Oooh, I haven't seen that yet!

I haven't seen the CocaCola ad yet either, cannot wait to see it!! :D
    It's definitely going to be on during one of the X Factor ad breaks this week.

• Advertisement

It's definitely going to be on during one of the X Factor ad breaks this week.
    Feck that, don't want to see it that badly!! :p

... I kinda do though. :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Coca Cola ad on RTE One there - for those of you with Saorview, horse on RTE One +1 at around 19:38 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Regarding the Xmas ads being more homely, I think this is due to the recession and tight purse strings, everyone is going back to the old values of friends, family and fun which is IMHO the most important thing. But it's great to see all the same.

Living in the UK, the TKMaxx is a bit of a melting pot of random things but it's right. The Morrison's one however is terrible, they had a really upbeat one last year and I honestly thought the current one was going to be for the Samaritans or something, advising people to seek help during the holidays. The woman looks so miserable on it.

Finally the most important thing, when are Penney's bringing back THAT advert!

Looking forward to coming home and seeing the Guinness ad on Irish tv and hearing the Barry's ad on the radio.Bliss1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

razorblunt wrote: »

Looking forward to coming home and seeing the Guinness ad on Irish tv and hearing the Barry's ad on the radio.Bliss1

The Barry's ad. The simple mention of it brings a smile to the face.....:D

I don't think I know what the Barry's Radio Ad is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Barry's Tea radio ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab0-T0KkJzY

"Santa'll bring them what they want. This..is from me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Saw the Meteor ad last night, good god it's atrocious. Loving the new John Lewis though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Yes ... The first bong of the guinness ad starts it all off for me.

I haven't seen the guinness or coke ad yet, dammit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Posy wrote: »
    I haven't seen the guinness or coke ad yet, dammit! :pac:

Neither have I Posy. I am looking forward to those two adverts though along with the Budweiser advert with the Clydsdales :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Guinness starts on December 1st usually, well it did last year and the year before. I'd imagine it's the same this year

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Neither have I Posy. I am looking forward to those two adverts though along with the Budweiser advert with the Clydsdales :)
    Gid I love that Budweiser ad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Saw the Coke ad 2 days ago and shrieked with excitement (my parents didn't know what was going on!)

For me it's the An Post Walking In The Air or Corn Flakes Ho Ho Ho that sets it all off....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

marno21 wrote: »
    Guinness starts on December 1st usually, well it did last year and the year before. I'd imagine it's the same this year

Guinness not doing Christmas add this year from what I hear:

size5 wrote: »

Guinness not doing Christmas add this year from what I hear:

:O

I really hope this isn't true!! Otherwise YouTube is getting abused with me having that ad on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Silas45

The Spar Christmas Ad is really good with some really lovely music to go with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWyothMLwI

I FINALLY saw the Coca Cola ad yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Saw the Budweiser advert today - chills down my spine! :) Just adore that advert with the cyldesdales.

Jealous! Can't wait to see the Budweiser ad. It's my favourite. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

razorblunt wrote: »
    Finally the most important thing, when are Penney's bringing back THAT advert!

I heard the original Penneys advert on the Radio today. Hadn't heard it in years!
    Brought back a lot of memories.

I hope they put it up on Youtube.

Advertisement