Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defo getting ine if these

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

aaakev wrote: »

Weights too much and far too bulky. Plus you will have to bring your own fuel (nice and dry). Easier ways to get electricity (bring a spare battery).
    Can see some benifits but portability isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oh yeah I saw those before, handy for a base camp. If they ever make a similar attachment for the Kelly Kettle I'm buying two on the spot. It seems to work on the same principles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The premise is fairly simple for these. I was half thinking of adding a thermocouple (i.e. what that yoke uses) to a stove. You could use passive water cooling in a home environment and it should keep the outside of the thermocouple cool enough to generate a reasonable amount of juice.

Then my stove notion was rejected. my wife loves the open fire too much.

It looks like a decent device though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, have you considered a powermonkey extreme?

It costs about the same, weighs about the same, but is less bulky.

It operates even in low sunlight. You can also use it indoors (or on a train), and you don't have to ensure that it has fuel to burn. It is waterproof, so you can attach it to the outside of a rucksack or tent, and allow it to work away.

Review here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What might be cool would be some sort of all in one generator device, compact yet powerful. Solar, thermal, hand crank, even water powered all in the same package, and ruggedised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

They reviewed the biolite stove on the Gadget Show on channel 5 last week. They had a few electric producing stoves there for review.

Is there a larger scale version of this tech, something that could convert the heat from a multi-fuel stove and generate a more useful amount of power?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Is there a larger scale version of this tech, something that could convert the heat from a multi-fuel stove and generate a more useful amount of power?

Good question, would be handy having it, if it could be retro fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You could add your own thermocouple in theory. They work on a temperature differential and in a home environment it would become difficult to maintain a large differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Ordered one of these from Santa! I see they also do a 'home' stove as well but aren't rolling it out to the public just yet as they're focusing on distributing it to third world countries. I have the kids carrying plastic bags everywhere they go with the remit of collecting twigs and cones etc. They think it's great as their reward is they get to come camping with me when the weather picks up in the new year with my promise that we'll definitely see bigfoot...as he lives on the very campsite we're going to. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement