Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Method to Quit?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Have quit smoking (albeit temporarily) twice now.

I quit in 2008 for a full year, read the Allen Carr book and about 2 weeks later just had no cravings and stopped. Never had any cravings for a year, said to myself on a night out "sure I'll have the one" and I was back on them.

Quit again in June, for about 2 months - no aids this time, just woke up and didnt want to smoke. Again, got the craving on a night out, decided I'd be a "social smoker" and then went back to 20 a day.

I've recently found that I don't smoke often on evenings and weekends when I'm in the apartment, just at work, so I now smoke about 10 a day.

I think my issue is willpower more than anything, I just succumb to physical/psychological cravings, but strangely when I give up I don't actually feel the physical cravings at the start, so I know I'm well able to do it, just not committing enough!

I really want to do it this time, and I'm just wondering if anyone who might have the same disposition as me could advise what method they've used?

I have the Allen Carr audio book, was looking at Champix and E-Smoking too. I can't use the patches as I'm anemic and they make me faint :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You're like me and a few others I know. You just smoke because you like smoking... I've been able to quit for a year and then went back by choice, will go a few weeks of 20 a day then stop because I've had enough of it.. might smoke on a night out again and go back to it.. If you want to stop completely then just do -- you're not addicted, you enjoy smoking. Next time you're out and probably drunk and want a cigarette just try remember that you don't really want to smoke anymore as you'll feel bad the next day. Eventually it will become second nature to just think, oh no i won't smoke because I don't want to.

Ta-da! you've now quit smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PinkVaper

I'm an ecig user for the past three years. Never wanted to quit really, I enjoyed everything about smoking and at toys for big boys expo in the RDS saw a stall selling eicgs. Had a try and instantly went home and researched them on the internet to get one that wasn't as overpriced as that one(was 100euro at the time for a small kit!)...

stumbled upon a forum and asked a few questions, got my first kit and never looked back. Took me about a month or so of using real cigs and ecigs to eventually fins real cigs off putting - after a while the taste just got worse and i preferred the grape & caramel I'd gotten in my wee kit.

it's only in the past year or so that i've lost all the habits of using my ecig at certain times, i use it now as i enjoy the flavours and i know i'm still addicted to nicotine but i feel like i've got more energy and i haven't had one chest infection or even a cold that lasted more than a couple of days in nearly three years so for me they have been a lifesaver literally :)

I had tried patches but it was a half attempt as i just enjoyed and still enjoy the clouds of smoke(vapor) with my cup of tea or out with friends :)

Whatever way you quit or if you switch the very best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks all! I have decided I really need to quit, and I was making excuses like "it's coming up to Christmas, blah blah". There really is never a right time to quit if you think like that!

So I am going to listen to the Allen Carr audio book, and if that doesn't work a friend of mine got on great with Champix. Determined to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Ecigs did it for me, one year of fags now.. same as other poster I weaned of them , over period of 2 months with ecig, first one I got leaked, after lots and lots of research , I bought a Joyetech Ego c . bout 60 euro , and used totally wickeds Titan liquid!, best liquid I ever tried, keeps me well away from the smokes and I can train harder run longer .. clear head! no headaches anymore, no smelly clothes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 28dayslater

I quit almost 4 years ago now by using champix. I had a few failed attempts using other methods but I found them by far the easiest and completely without cravings.

That said they're not for everyone so consult your doctor but I'll be forever greatful to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I quit 30 years ago using willpower! I got a small calender and crossed off each day and when I felt weak, I counted the days and told myself that I'd suffered for each of those days, so would soldier on. I kept that up for 4 month, to the end of that year and have never looked back. I used eat loads of fruit, and I gave up drinking for about 6 months as well. Good Luck. It is the hardest thing you'll ever do, but the most worth while!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I swear by the patch. I had given up before(it was tough) and went back. The patches just made it so much easier not to have that first lovely drag in the morning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

How are you getting on?
    I'm a relative newbie non-smoker compared to some of the others here, I used Champix too and I'm just over 8 weeks off them. Best decision I've made though, best of luck whatever method you end up using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Catsup99 wrote: »
    How are you getting on?
    I'm a relative newbie non-smoker compared to some of the others here, I used Champix too and I'm just over 8 weeks off them. Best decision I've made though, best of luck whatever method you end up using.

Not too bad, I'm using the Easyway method from Allen Carr. No NRT or tablets.

My quitlog is here

Well done on 8 weeks! I'm only 3 days off them

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

GOOD IDEA TO TRY IS TO MAKE A BEFORE AND AFTER LIST AND STICK IT UP SOMEWHERE SO YOU CAN READ IT OFTEN...ON THE BEFORE LIST PUT THE BAD STUFF LIKE HAVING LESS MONEY,COUGHING AND WHEEZING,CONGESTED CHEST IN THE MORNINGS,BREATHLESS FEELING,STAINED TEETH AND FINGERS,SMELLY CLOTHES AND BREATH ETC ETC.

ON THE AFTER LIST WRITE THE OPPOSITE TO ALL THESE AND WRITE DOWN THE IMPROVMENTS IN ALL THE BEFORE LIST CLEANER TEETH,CHEST FEEL CLEARER IN THE MORNINGS,LESS OR NO COUGHING AND WHEEZING ETC ETC.

LOOK AT YOUR LIST EACH TIME YOU GET THE URGE. THIS HELPS A LOT GOOD LUCK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I'm on this electric cigarette from Nicolites, www.nicolites.com

I bought it in my local Super Valu for €7.99

I am now three days off them (not long but a huge achievement for me) and am finding the longing is starting to die out a little more each day!!

good for you dude!!, It will get easier! , im using a joyetech ego c , with " Totally wicked" eliquids form uk ... like smoking the real thing literally!, I couldn't go cold turkey , so this was best mehod for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

daveob007 wrote: »
    GOOD IDEA TO TRY IS TO MAKE A BEFORE AND AFTER LIST AND STICK IT UP SOMEWHERE SO YOU CAN READ IT OFTEN...ON THE BEFORE LIST PUT THE BAD STUFF LIKE HAVING LESS MONEY,COUGHING AND WHEEZING,CONGESTED CHEST IN THE MORNINGS,BREATHLESS FEELING,STAINED TEETH AND FINGERS,SMELLY CLOTHES AND BREATH ETC ETC.

ON THE AFTER LIST WRITE THE OPPOSITE TO ALL THESE AND WRITE DOWN THE IMPROVMENTS IN ALL THE BEFORE LIST CLEANER TEETH,CHEST FEEL CLEARER IN THE MORNINGS,LESS OR NO COUGHING AND WHEEZING ETC ETC.

LOOK AT YOUR LIST EACH TIME YOU GET THE URGE. THIS HELPS A LOT GOOD LUCK

Tbh, I didnt really have that much of a dramatic difference in terms of bad stuff Vs good stuff. There was the obvious smell of smoke off me and my clothes, but I didnt have any of the coughing, wheezing, stained fingers etc... Or at least, not very dramatic versions of them.

For me it was just that I was so so tired of being a slave. I mean, I like a chicken curry, right? But I dont want to have to eat a chicken curry 10 times a day. I hated having to have a cigarette. I hated if I wasnt feeling well or had a hangover, that I still had to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Off the cigs just over a week, using an e-cig instead. I was like you, I didn't really want to give up but it was that niggling feeling of addiction that creeped in. Nobody else at work smokes (although a few vape) and I felt like a bit of an outcast. I tried everything from Champix to patches and felt miserable.

I spent about €60 quid on a good kit and some mint and coffee e-liquids that were listed as medium strength. From the day I got the kit to today I have not once even wanted for a smoke. The aha moment was having a drink with a few friends at home, normally I am a chain smoker with drink but after vaping mint the whole night I woke to clean lungs, minty breath and no tightness on my chest.

I know that vaping is swapping out one habit for another but for me it ticked all the boxes, I'm happy, don't stink, can breath much better and have no headaches anymore.

Vaping is the way to go dude!, if you don't really want to give up, after a few months just drop nic levels down to 7mg, then try the nic free fluid, especially try the fruit flavours they will get people away from the tobac smell, thus pushing them further away from real cigs, I think vaping seems to be for us folk who are very addicted!! e.g even smoke when your in bits with a lung infection or the flu that kind of addiction.!, I find Totally Wicked flavours the best, I have tried most others!, Vapourireland.com do a B+H which I mix in half and half with TW flavs saves more money, for a 50ml bottle of B+H from vapourireland.com to your door only cost 18 quid inc delivery Excellent value!!

Happy vaping..

Advertisement