Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a website...

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

This is a rather basic question, but here it goes...

So, I have bought a domain name and now need to set up a website. For the moment, I'd like to attach my Wordpress blog to the URL - how do I do this? I have software for creating a website etc, however I don't have the time at the moment to spend a lot of time setting one up. Any advice? Is there a website that I can go to outside of Wordpress with designs and so on to give me a look that is unique and not just the standard blog look?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Where do you have that wordpress blog hosted? There has to be an option to link you domain to it in the control panel...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 JaneCompti

I found it, thanks. I stupidly overlooked it about fifty times before I noticed it :)

Now that I have my Wordpress blog hosted somewhere under a new url, is there anything I can do that I couldn't do before getting a domain name? I'd rather not have a plain blog but am not sure how to begin with Dreamweaver. Maybe someone knows some good Dreamweaver guidelines to create a specific design?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

JaneCompti wrote: »
    I found it, thanks. I stupidly overlooked it about fifty times before I noticed it :)

Now that I have my Wordpress blog hosted somewhere under a new url, is there anything I can do that I couldn't do before getting a domain name? I'd rather not have a plain blog but am not sure how to begin with Dreamweaver. Maybe someone knows some good Dreamweaver guidelines to create a specific design?

Thanks again!

What is your website/blog for? What do you want it to accomplish?

http://themeforest.net/ is a good place for theme's if you're not proficient with design yourself.

That's fantastic, thank you!

Dammit. I forgot to mention that I need to start off with a free one :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Now that I have my Wordpress blog hosted somewhere under a new url, is there anything I can do that I couldn't do before getting a domain name?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, no, you can't do anything with it, not unless it's on the wordpress end.

You need webspace to point your domain to, then you can put up whatever site/blog you want.
    I think your just pointing your domain at your wordpress blog.

A URL just points somewhere.
    Dammit. I forgot to mention that I need to start off with a free one
    There is tons of free wordpress themes here http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/
    You need webspace or a local server to install these though, which I don't think you have.

I just installed wordpress at my hosted domain. I have my old wordpress account at wordpress.com. How do I move the data, including comments into the new dashboard :\

I just installed wordpress at my hosted domain. I have my old wordpress account at wordpress.com. How do I move the data, including comments into the new dashboard :\

There ya go http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

there are various video guides on youtube too

Thanks :) This thread is better than any helpdesk! Are there any cool plugins that people favour? Or websites re same.

Thanks :) This thread is better than any helpdesk! Are there any cool plugins that people favour? Or websites re same.

There are a great many plugins. Not sure what you mean by 'cool' one's. It entirely depends on what you want to do.

Having said that, here's a nifty twitter stream plugin, Wordpress All-in-one SEO plugin, and a contact form plugin.

What are you looking for?

You can go here to browse the plugins yourself. The most popular are listed in the sidebar on the right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement