Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return fruit thats inedible?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Bought bag of satsumas from local centra this evening. After eating piece of my 3rd orange and throwing in bin,checked date use by and was 2 days previously so should have been taken off shelf. Because its a local shop, I hate having to return (ill be going there every week and don't want to get reputation of being a mean cow looking for 2 euros! ) but I'm sick of buying multi packs of fruit and discarding cos they were dry and inedible- because in this instance they're actually out of date , I reckon this is my chance to make up for all those occasions.
    I think I'm overanalyzing because of the episode of seinfeld where they said buying fruit is a lotto and its just not the done thing to return it! I derive a lot of my social etiquette from that program...
    So do you return fruit that's inedible or am being I a stingy bitch ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

seefin wrote: »
    Bought bag of satsumas from local centra this evening. After eating piece of my 3rd orange and throwing in bin,checked date use by and was 2 days previously so should have been taken off shelf. Because its a local shop, I hate having to return (ill be going there every week and don't want to get reputation of being a mean cow looking for 2 euros! ) but I'm sick of buying multi packs of fruit and discarding cos they were dry and inedible- because in this instance they're actually out of date , I reckon this is my chance to make up for all those occasions.
    I think I'm overanalyzing because of the episode of seinfeld where they said buying fruit is a lotto and its just not the done thing to return it! I derive a lot of my social etiquette from that program...
    So do you return fruit that's inedible or am being I a stingy bitch ?

are you sure its a use by date ?

or is it a best before date ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I had a man come into a shop where I work with a cooked half eaten steak on a plate he had for dinner the night before, complaining it was too tough to eat an he wants his money back....

So bring back the fruit!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'd bring it back with the receipt and politely say you want to exchange for fresh edible ones. Any embarrassment should be theirs and hope they apologise :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

green123 wrote: »

are you sure its a use by date ?

or is it a best before date ?

sorry, best before date.I guess I've 2 questions here-one about this specific instance, and the other about the whole fruit being a lotto business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

yes I have, usually I check the date and if I can handle it (in which case so can others, so its either peelable or washed) but if its soft I wont take it.

I returned some grapes, bought them and tried them that night, most were too soft/gone off and as it was a sealed pack couldnt check and it wasnt noticeable, just brought my receipt, told them pleasantly I was returning the fruit as it was off and Id take something else.
    I brought back some dates that had some bugs in it, they all seemed to be dead. Its seems like its only a couple of quid, but some of those small packs are pricey enough also its the principle of it too.

Plus, I dont generally buy off Centra/Spar, stick to larger stores as its not as expensive.
    So long as you dont go in ranting and raving I dont see any problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

dorkacle wrote: »
    I had a man come into a shop where I work with a cooked half eaten steak on a plate he had for dinner the night before, complaining it was too tough to eat an he wants his money back....

So bring back the fruit!! ;)

Ha I can imagine his frustration,going to all the trouble of cooking, only to go to bed hungry. I know I worry way too much about 'should do' and don't trust my own judgement. Hence coming on here for validation... Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Seinfeld is that you?

Advertisement