Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Culinary Arts

• 06-11-2012 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey there, strongly interested in doing this course as I'm interested in being a chef/cook but was wondering of the level expected before going in there? By that I mean, the level of cooking? I am well able for basic dishes and even a couple of sauces but advanced dishes isn't my best attribute (at the moment) due to me not being able to afford so many ingredientss etc

By basic btw, I mean in terms of cooking meat, fish etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    Hey there, strongly interested in doing this course as I'm interested in being a chef/cook but was wondering of the level expected before going in there? By that I mean, the level of cooking? I am well able for basic dishes and even a couple of sauces but advanced dishes isn't my best attribute (at the moment) due to me not being able to afford so many ingredientss etc

By basic btw, I mean in terms of cooking meat, fish etc.

you dont need any experience to apply, just need to show a desire to work.in the industry i. your interview.

one tip though.

Professional Cookery students students tend to more advanced after 2 years than cullinary arts grads after 3 years. in pro cookery you have far more hours per week in practicals and it shows by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Thanks for the help.

Reason I would like to do Culinary Arts is it seems more broad if you get me. A bit of IT/Business involved and that could come in handy later down the line in terms of kitchen management.

Btw....what do you mean by the interview? Sorry I ask but I never heard of having to do one for Culinary Arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    Thanks for the help.

Reason I would like to do Culinary Arts is it seems more broad if you get me. A bit of IT/Business involved and that could come in handy later down the line in terms of kitchen management.

Btw....what do you mean by the interview? Sorry I ask but I never heard of having to do one for Culinary Arts.
    If you are applying as a mature student or not directly through the leaving cert you will most likely be called for an interview as places are limited on all courses. Its usually a q and a about why you chose the course, show your interest, tell them of your experience etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Oh rite. Well I'm doing it through the LC but thanks for the info anways.

DIT seem to be offering an honours degree for Culinary Arts but I've read quite a bit about GMIT'S courses in relation to cooking, tourism etc and I'm un-decisive as to what course I should choose. I'm from Galway so that could play the final part in my decision but GMIT now offer an honours add-on so would like some advice on this. Would it matter if I completed 3 years of level 7 and an extra one on level 8 or would future employers prefer a 4 year honours course?

Thanks again for the help!

Advertisement