Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding hops...

Options
  • 06-11-2012 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've had my Coopers IPA in the fermentor for over a month now.
    I'm going to add some hop pellets to the primary, but I'm not sure which ones to get, how and how much to add. I see the word "cascade" being thrown around a bit, but I'm on the homebrewcompany online site and there are plenty of varieties.

Has anyone got any recommendations or recommend a mix of two?

I'm also going to buy a secondary so I can do try out batch/bulk priming when I bottle the beers. There are quite a selection of fermentors on that site that I will buy, so I think I'm fine for selecting one, unless someone has any pointers to which I should buy?

Also on the shopping list is a bottle washer, a bottler and some caps.

Cheers for any insight. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fart wrote: »
    I'm going to add some hop pellets to the primary
    I'd go with leaf. They're less likely to end up in your beer and I think they infuse better.
    but I'm not sure which ones to get
    We're down to personal taste here. Citra will give you a big lemony bang, Amarillo is a little more subtle and orangey, I'm personally a big fan of Summit, but Cascade will do the job too.
    how and how much to add.
    About 20-30g will do it.
    recommend a mix of two?
    Since you're experimenting I'd recommend against mixing, just so you get a clear idea of what the hop you chose does.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Cascade are very smooth with challenger. Both are easy enough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Nice advice guys.

Just one thing about leaf hops. I'm adding it after it has fermented, so is this called dry hopping? Will this just add aroma?

And will I need tea bags of some sort to add the leaves?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just one thing about leaf hops. I'm adding it after it has fermented, so is this called dry hopping? Will this just add aroma?
    Yes, pretty much. Same with pellets.
    And will I need tea bags of some sort to add the leaves?
    No, just toss 'em in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Can you add hops to anything? I have Nut Brown Ale that I plan to add a simple hop tea to, will that work? I also have a stout, but can't think of any hops that would work with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Experiment with small quantities of beer and hops and see if you like the results. Boiling hops to make a hop tea that way will give you a lot of bitterness which you may not like.

Advertisement