Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing closed season Fisherys??

Options
  • 06-11-2012 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Well all,

Hows it going? It has been a year or so since my last post on here. My question/situation is that, I'm coming home to the South East for December and January. And I am wondering has anyone got any reports of good fly fishing or even decent sea fishing happening around the waterford/Wexford area.

I know its closed season for trout unless through Stocked or managed fishery's with triploids, but I'm hoping to get the fly rod out of the bag when i get home and maybe even a spot of sea fishing (Land-based).

Fly fishing would be my priority and would like to get out for a bash no matter what the weather.

Anyone got any recommendations on stocked lakes that may be producing the goods in that time of year?

Thanks in advance for any options or hints.
    All help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Would you consider fly fishing for Pike? It's getting very popular with some Pike anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Come up as far as Wicklow. There is a fly lake at Annamoe near Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Cheers for the suggestions.!

Have not ever taken it upon myself to target pike on fly before. But I would defo be interested in it.

I remember fisihng a lake in waterford about 2 years ago aiming for trout, when I hooked into a jack pike, Not the biggest of fish but my god he was fun on the fly rod for the 5 minutes he was on before chewing the leader.

So yes, it would be something I would think about getting into?

Do you know anywhere which is starting to produce good pike fishing. I would be willing to travel to most places. :)

And yes I have also heard of Anamoe, havent fished there yet, I have fished the other fishery in Aughrim there a few years back which was good fun, but seemed to lack abit of spark.

Thanks again for the reply. Look forward to your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Kenny - there are two trout fisheries in Wexford, Mahon Lakes outside Adamstown and another place (cant think of the name) near Blackwater.

Mahon lakes is ok during the winter - the other place is too new for my liking. For pike on the fly try the Barrow from Graiguenamanagh upwards, About 30 minute spin from Adamstown as it goes.

Advertisement