Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refurbished laptop

Options
  • 06-11-2012 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Would anyone recommend getting a refurbished laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Depends. If you buy one from Dell and its the right price/spec you get the same warranty as a new one. Buying one from a shop that only gives you a month or two warranty is less attractive IMO. But again depends on the deal. A cheap new laptop isn't very expensive, these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I got a refurb MAC before, have no troubles with it, wouldn't pay for a brand new one ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What exactly does 'refurbished' mean folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Repaired, cleaned, restored to factory default, if you're lucky they replace the battery.

Usually they're trade-ins, machines that have been returned because of transport damages or lemons someone else wasn't too happy with in the first place.

Before you buy a refurb, check the specifications (look up CPU and graphics benchmarks if not sure), read reviews for the model in question before you buy. When you buy, reserve the right to return and check the battery life. If it doesn't live up to your expectations return the laptop. And then there's still a risk: a lithium-ion battery only has a limited charge/discharge cycles and a new one can cost you in excess of €100. Ideally your choice should have a new battery with manufacturer's warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Jumpinj82

tbh I would just make sure that whoever sells you a refurbished laptop gives you a good enough warranty. Anything more than a couple of months would be grand, 6 months or more should cover ya.

Ask them to cover the battery under the warranty if they don't supply a new one to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 grease2000

Im thinking from currys, there quite a bit cheaper than a new one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Price? And any idea of the spec? Second hand laptops are generally crap ,old, half fecked and outdated. Would want a six month warranty with one

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I bought a refurbished 15"Macbook pro from Apple Store at €600 less than a new one, got a full years warranty which i can extend to 3.
    Labtop is immaculate and working like a dream.

When i find one in budget, i will post the link for opinions :)

Different companies do different levels of refurbishment.

If it is store-refurbished then it really means nothing. They've given it a reinstall and a quick wipe of a cloth.

If it is manufacturer refurbished, often a significant portion of the components are brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It depends where you are buying it from. Some stores call opened box "refurbished".
    It can also mean anything from cleaned to repaired.
    On most websites that sell refurbished items, they have a description to their definition of refurbished.

To answer OP, Yes, no problems with a refurbished item, as long as it's priced correctly.

Every now and then some great value on Asus outlet - Manufacturer Refurbished.

Asus Outlet

EDIT.. If you do order from there, Parcel Motel comes in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my friend got one in power city ,no manual, no cdrom restore os,windows disc, there was 1 cable missing,
    coonnector for tv connection, not important , not necessary to use the laptop
    hp bout 70 per cent normal price.
    Otherwise good as new.
    i think refurb means one returned,and checked as working ok,Just make sure hold on to receipt ,you still have a gaurantee , if bought in shop,or online store.
    some shops even sell laptops cheaper,if original box,manual, is damaged,or lost.
    i,ve never seen currys, or pc world, selling refurb models,
    but i only go there every 6 months.
    Every shop may have its own definition of refurb,
    ie it may have never have left the shop,
    could be box open, manual lost ,box ,packaging damaged etc

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I iced one up recently from laptopdirect,they have different ratings per product.
    Grade A1 being immaculate condition,have it a month no problems and saved around 160 euro after extending their 3 mth warranty by another 9 months.
    Trust the company you deal with first,make sure they are genuine,I would look at this option for every electronical purchase from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

try greenit

Advertisement