Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Bargains anywhere?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

TV blew up :( need to replace it. We are using an even older, even more crappy small (20'') one until I can source one I can afford. Hoping to get away with about 300e, anyone know of a half decent one at that price? c. 32"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

powercity have 32 inch tvs starting from 260 and a choice of 6 for less than 300

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?action=&par=10-12&cat=TV+32%22++Screen++++++++&action=brandstory

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There is a good range at that price in power city alright, can anyone tell me is Walker a good brand? Which is better, LED or LCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

LED is considered better but not as bright. I have both and wouldnt notice the differencce. I have a walker 19" and its quite good but other then they would make free to air sattelite systems i wouldnt know a whole lot about them. I was told they wouldnt be as good as some of the premium brands but one of the best of the budget labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Mitch epitag

Any paddy buying a 32 inch tv really needs alot more pain in the next budget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

If you can stretch your budget to 400EUR get a plasma screen. You could get a 42" plasma for less money than the equivalent LED/LCD and the picture quality will be better. The blacks are far superior on plasma screens, so if you enjoy watching movies, they are the way to go.

Only downside to plasma is if the windows in your room are positioned in a way that they reflect on the tv. Plasmas have a glass front, so they can suffer from bad reflections.

A 42" screen dwarves a 32" and will have a real visual impact on your home. It all depends on what you want a tv for though. If its just watching the odd tv show and youre not that bothered, then I guess 32" would be ok. It sure beats the 20" youre using now!

With that 300 budget you could get yourself a known brand, rather than going with Walker. Ive had a quick look for you on a few of the Irish websites and this isnt too shabby a price. Its 70EUR off for a 32" Toshiba LCD at 300EUR.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/toshiba-32bv512b.html

What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

And you need somewhere else to vent your frustration, take the hint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Dead on, if you are going to spend that kind of dough, treat yourself....go at least 50"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Zerks posted this over on BA

If you're considering a Walker, this may prove as good a buy:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24412.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hsan

Sorry for butting in!!im on the lookout for a 40 or 42 inch tv.i was in Harvey Norman on Saturday and the man said not to get a plasma cos it costs a lot more to run than the led ones.he also said the led has the best colours.is he right?id like to get a fairly good brand if I can.the budget would be 550 euros.any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

hsan wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in!!im on the lookout for a 40 or 42 inch tv.i was in Harvey Norman on Saturday and the man said not to get a plasma cos it costs a lot more to run than the led ones.he also said the led has the best colours.is he right?id like to get a fairly good brand if I can.the budget would be 550 euros.any ideas?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42LS340&pages=&prod=42LS340&brands=LG&image=

Or this if you can stretch to €590 http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40ES550&pages=1&prod=40ES550&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

€550 is more than enough. once you have a tv in mind I'd advise you to google it before you purchase - but you'll definitely be able to buy an LG/Samsung/Panasonic etc in that price range.

as for whether a plasma costs more to run - the answer depends on year of make/model/year etc - and what you are comparing it to: e.g read this thread
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1861015

Ive looked into all the available options several times over the years. Most TVs are very good nowadays, thats the reality so long as youre not buying the cheapest of the cheap.

Plasma does use more electric than LED LCDs (LEDs are still LCD panels by the way) of course, but its not so much of a difference and it should certainly not be something you want to even factor into your decision. I say that because the difference is minimal and the cost of a large LED LCD is quite a bit more than a similarly specced plasma.

I dont get what he is saying about LED having the best colours. One thing I would say, is not to believe 90% of the absolute rubbish that manufacturers claim, because its virtually all marketing drivel trying to con consumers.

Without getting out all manner of geeky measuring equipment, using your eyes is a good way to judge a TV. Not always in a big store though because the lighting in there is far too bright and thats why plasmas always look a bit dull. If you go to some more exclusive home theatre shops, they often have demo rooms which have lighting similar, if not identical to what youd have at home. Some big stores do have demo rooms, but they are not always able to get the tv you want to view in there, more likely its what they are trying to flog at that particular time.

Ive been to many friends houses watching movies. All too frequently Im watching on a big tv and I find that LCD models struggle to reproduce skin tones well, or dark scenes, especially movies with a lot of outer-space. If you look at a person face when its during a close-up, I often see strange colouring as the TV cant produce the subtle changes in tone on a face. Ive never seen that even once on my plasma.

Viewing angle are a major problem depending on how your seating arrangement is. I have several computer monitors at home. I have an LED LCD monitor which is useless if I go below or above the optimum viewing height and I have two IPS LCD monitors which are amazing whichever way I look at them. The IPS monitors cost 850EUR each though, so you have to pay a lot for that.

Having lived with plasma, LCD for years, and now LED LCD for 2 years, I can safely say in my own experience that apart from having annoying reflections (if in a bright room with loads of windows at the wrong angle) on a very sunny day, that plasma is the best for me. I enjoy watching the screen, it has such a lovely fluid motion.

Here is one guide, which ways up some of the pros and cons of each type. Hopefully it will help you make the right decision.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

Thanks for the advice lads.hopefully I'll pick up a descent one for handy money!!!cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Ive looked into all the available options several times over the years. Most TVs are very good nowadays, thats the reality so long as youre not buying the cheapest of the cheap.

Plasma does use more electric than LED LCDs (LEDs are still LCD panels by the way) of course, but its not so much of a difference and it should certainly not be something you want to even factor into your decision. I say that because the difference is minimal and the cost of a large LED LCD is quite a bit more than a similarly specced plasma.

I dont get what he is saying about LED having the best colours. One thing I would say, is not to believe 90% of the absolute rubbish that manufacturers claim, because its virtually all marketing drivel trying to con consumers.

Without getting out all manner of geeky measuring equipment, using your eyes is a good way to judge a TV. Not always in a big store though because the lighting in there is far too bright and thats why plasmas always look a bit dull. If you go to some more exclusive home theatre shops, they often have demo rooms which have lighting similar, if not identical to what youd have at home. Some big stores do have demo rooms, but they are not always able to get the tv you want to view in there, more likely its what they are trying to flog at that particular time.

Ive been to many friends houses watching movies. All too frequently Im watching on a big tv and I find that LCD models struggle to reproduce skin tones well, or dark scenes, especially movies with a lot of outer-space. If you look at a person face when its during a close-up, I often see strange colouring as the TV cant produce the subtle changes in tone on a face. Ive never seen that even once on my plasma.

Viewing angle are a major problem depending on how your seating arrangement is. I have several computer monitors at home. I have an LED LCD monitor which is useless if I go below or above the optimum viewing height and I have two IPS LCD monitors which are amazing whichever way I look at them. The IPS monitors cost 850EUR each though, so you have to pay a lot for that.

Having lived with plasma, LCD for years, and now LED LCD for 2 years, I can safely say in my own experience that apart from having annoying reflections (if in a bright room with loads of windows at the wrong angle) on a very sunny day, that plasma is the best for me. I enjoy watching the screen, it has such a lovely fluid motion.

Here is one guide, which ways up some of the pros and cons of each type. Hopefully it will help you make the right decision.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

Great post. I am a big Samsung fan, they make all the screens for Sony btw, but the sound output is also much much better than LG in particular . It comes out the front rather than back or side in some cases. I have a 42 LCD and a 50 plasma Samsung and a 42 lg LCD . The Samsungs are way ahead on sound particularly.

Hope this helps

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Speakers seem a weak point on the Samsung's I've used. The LG ones seemed better. In most other respects I'd go with the Samsung. But the LG might be better if you don't want to use a sound system/sound bar. Personally I prefer the Plasma's. But, they are pricey to get a 1080 one vs 720. In the end I went for LED though as our TV room is bright and glare was a PITA on our old TV during the day.

Just saw a 42 inch full hd 1080p LCD lg tv in Argos for €460. what do ye think of this?Also lads I saw a 40 inch techwood full hd LCD in Harvey Norman for €385.i know I said I'd rather stick to a good make but this seems very cheap.what ye reckon?

Anyone?

Just saw a 42 inch full hd 1080p LCD lg tv in Argos for €460. what do ye think of this?Also lads I saw a 40 inch techwood full hd LCD in Harvey Norman for €385.i know I said I'd rather stick to a good make but this seems very cheap.what ye reckon?

Go for the Lg,better name & even at €460 it's cheap for a 42" 1080p set.Same price in Powercity or a Samsung LED for €40 more.

If you are strapped for cash,the Techwood is ok,but personally I'd prefer the Lg.

BTW,don't buy an expensive HDMI lead in Argos etc,the €1.49 ones in the likes of Dealz etc. work just as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that zerks.id rather stick to a good make myself.i saw one in the Panasonic store in limerick.its a 42 inch for €399.the only problem is that it's hd ready.am I better off to get full he or would this be ok?

Thanks for that zerks.id rather stick to a good make myself.i saw one in the Panasonic store in limerick.its a 42 inch for €399.the only problem is that it's hd ready.am I better off to get full he or would this be ok?

Panasonic are in the sh1t today,they've been reduced to junk status on the markets,unless something drastic happens they might not be around for much longer.

On topic,check the specs for the tv.Try to get exact specs instore or google the model number.Recently Aldi sold a tv that was labelled as HD ready but was full hd,very confusing for some people.

1080p is full hd,very few transmissions are full hd however,most are 720p at best.99% of current PS3 games are 720p.

Thanks zerks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

There are a number of things to take into account:

HD720p / HD1080p
    Contrast Ratio
    Brightness
    Overall quality
    Power consumption

Samsungs tend to be the best value and overall performer these days if you buy right.

Advertisement