Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman loses hands under DART

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Feedback thread started. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81610540#post81610540

I'm sick of the hypocrisy of the mod's so I've taken it to feedback as directed by humanji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

On a serious note I don't travel often on the Dart, but when I did I used to see lads crossing the tracks regularly, this proves thats not safe.

I'm a bit puzzled as to ...
    a) the Dart travels so slowly, especially approaching a station, how it hit her with such force that it caused serious injury
    b) how the driver didn't see her well before the train arrived at the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oracle wrote: »
    a) the Dart travels so slowly, especially approaching a station, how it hit her with such force that it caused serious injury

They're huge and heavy. The force behind one even traveling at a few mph would slice your hands off. Slowly, but it would still happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Oracle wrote: »
    On a serious note I don't travel often on the Dart, but when I did I used to see lads crossing the tracks regularly, this proves thats not safe.

I'm a bit puzzled as to ...
    b) how the driver didn't see her well before the train arrived at the station?

It doesn't travel all that slowly approaching Dun Laoghaire. It comes from around a bend and through a tunnel before reaching the platform - the driver would not have a great line of sight. It's one of the more dangerous DART spots.

Yeah maybe, Just reading train was northbound Greystones to Malaide. That part of the track is curved and tunnelled, its dark anyway. So maybe not so easy to see someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

o1s1n wrote: »
    They're huge and heavy. The force behind one even traveling at a few mph would slice your hands off. Slowly, but it would still happen.
    I worked building train station shelters a few years ago. i remember at the safety meeting a C.I.E. guy telling us an empty train with 3 carriages hitting you at 5 mph was equivalent to a 40ft container falling from 15 feet onto your head.

I feel so sorry for that young woman whoever she is. A life without hands is very challenging. Whatever she was thinking, I'm sure she didn't want to end up like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ares wrote: »
    Feedback thread started. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81610540#post81610540

I'm sick of the hypocrisy of the mod's so I've taken it to feedback as directed by humanji.

Do you know your user name is an anagram of arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's obviously devastating for the girl, and I feel bad for her, but it's hardly as bad as people are making out.
    People here seem to be acting as though she died.
    She lost her hands, she'll get on with her life.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

anncoates wrote: »
    Do you know your user name is an anagram of arse?

Do you know that you're username is an anagram of Tacos Anne?

A Sat Nonce?

A Neon Cat?

Satan Once?

Now who looks silly? :pac:

• Advertisement

Ares wrote: »
    Do you know that you're username is an anagram of Tacos Anne?

A Sat Nonce?

A Neon Cat?

Satan Once?

Now who looks silly? :pac:

Don't forget Ocean Tan, Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd be inclined to think this was an attempted suicide, groups of young lads crossing tracks as a short cut in places like Kilbarrack would be the more commonplace scenario of unauthorized persons on the track, you don't tend to get young women in their 20's doing this type of thing and it was at Dun Laoghaire station which has a footbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's obviously devastating for the girl, and I feel bad for her, but it's hardly as bad as people are making out.

Right so can we cut off your hands then and see how happy you are living without them? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus Christ ALMIGHTY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jeez shut this down Mods....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Right so can we cut off your hands then and see how happy you are living without them? :mad:

Why would you do that?
    Where did I imply I'd be happy without them?
    What are you on about, seriously???!

The Herald offering a slightly newer story: The woman, believed to be in her late 20s, is reported to have lost the tops of her fingers on one hand and all of the fingers on the other.

http://www.herald.ie/news/dart-woman-loses-fingers-under-train-3285464.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

kraggy wrote: »
    We have platform doors here in the Seoul subway. The platform door opens a split second before the train door so it's like there isn't a platform door at all.

Seems strange to think there aren't platform doors on the dart line or in the tube in London, New York etc.
    There are at some stations on the Tube in London. Some of the Jubilee Line stations have those doors if my memory serves me correct.

Cost would be the main impediment to rolling them out everywhere. Also I think there are various DART and diesel carriage types, with different door layouts sharing the same line, so probably infeasible - though I could be wrong

Rasmus wrote: »
    The Herald offering a slightly newer story: The woman, believed to be in her late 20s, is reported to have lost the tops of her fingers on one hand and all of the fingers on the other.

http://www.herald.ie/news/dart-woman-loses-fingers-under-train-3285464.html

If this is true I am very thankful & relieved to hear it. It's terrible to go less than your 20 digits, but the less lost the better!

• Advertisement

If this is true I am very thankful & relieved to hear it. It's terrible to go less than your 20 digits, but the less lost the better!

I hope it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

kraggy wrote: »
    Seems strange to think there aren't platform doors on the dart line or in the tube in London, New York etc.

There are on some of the new stations on the Jubilee line, expensive enough to retrofit i'd say...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

this thread is getting out of hand.

ba dum tish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

That poor, poor woman. Imagine the everyday chores and necessities she can't do from now on for the rest of her life.

But the hysterical and over-exaggerated outrage on these type of threads is absolute cringe to read.

Just because a few posters make crap jokes or puns doesn't make them psychopaths. Don't be so naive and attention seeking. It also doesn't mean anyone enjoys or gets a kick out of another human's suffering. It's AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

humanji wrote: »
    Is it really that much to ask that users don't show themselves up to be complete f*cks here? A girl lost her hands in a tragic accident. You don't have to show sympathy, but you should have some sort of cop on.

EDIT : Erm...just seen the mod warning about infractions for discussing this responses in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pmcmahon wrote: »
    this thread is getting out of hand.

ba dum tish
    Take a day off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I was trying to think of a witty answer, but I'm stumped.

I guess you could use a hand...

Or two

And another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Better to stay away then.

I was trying to think of a witty answer, but I'm stumped.

i've gotta hand it to you

Unbelievable. Another ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

I heard she was a junkie

Track marks all over her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

MaxSteele wrote: »
    That poor, poor woman. Imagine the everyday chores and necessities she can't do from now on for the rest of her life.

But the hysterical and over-exaggerated outrage on these type of threads is absolute cringe to read.

Just because a few posters make crap jokes or puns doesn't make them psychopaths. Don't be so naive and attention seeking. It also doesn't mean anyone enjoys or gets a kick out of another human's suffering. It's AH.
    the disability she has been left with isnt a 'tragedy',she will just have to adapt her life.
    plenty of people who were born with moderate or severe physical disability still manage to be independant with as little help as possible,many use aids,not sure about ireland but in this country people who have no natural arms can drive a car providing they get it adapted,if she wants to use a computer she coud install a good speech to text program such as dragon; naturaly speaking which will control her computer by voice.

god help her if she claims disability benefit,people who may have offered her some care and sympathy will probably be starting threads about her being a scrounger,throwing herself under a train so she coud go and buy a boat/second house/big tv for every room etc.
    hope her insurance covers her medical and support costs as she will need a lot of help and the bionic limbs to if that goes ahead.

I heard she was a junkie

Track marks all over her
    And yet another ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Poor woman. I wonder can they re-attach the hands, or is that possible?

For her sake, I hope so!

I've seen cases where people have had entire body parts such as hands severed in various horrible accidents and then have their missing body parts medically re-attached and make a full recovery. It all depends on the amount of damage done and how they were cut off. But, if they were cut off by the wheels, I suspect that a huge amount of nerve damage was done due to the sharpness of them. Unlike cars, trucks, buses and other road vehicles, trains have metal wheels which resemble a rounded blade.

Anyway, irresponsibility aside, I hope that they are able to re-attach her hands and/or that she makes a good recovery!:(

Preferably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thankfully

Would appeal to moderators here to close this thread out of respect to this poor devastated family. Know them personally & story here leading up to this incident is horrific for them all. Thanks x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Seriously. Mods. Can we get this thread closed? There's been ridiculous levels of arsholery, even by AH standards, which is saying a lot. Perhaps with the girls friends and family in mind, if not for the young lady herself? I'm slightly ashamed to be a member of the same species as many of the contributors to this one.

Yep, it's a travesty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement