Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filtering

• 06-11-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I got a rimming from a member of the garda this morning because I was filtering (safely)

She has not heard of filtering and kept going on about me being on the wrong side of the road. I let her bash me so I could get on my way.

But when I went to the rules of the road to try find the section that condones it I cant find it? Anyone know where it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

"grey area" I believe as in there's nothing that explicitly prohibits it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

kaimera wrote: »
    "grey area" I believe as in there's nothing that explicitly prohibits it

There is deffo something because I remember saving it on my computer and emailing it to someone but cant for the life of me remember who to, or what email I even used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis treated the same as overtaking

gotcha!!! nearly done a fist pump when I found it lol

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Motorcycle%20Safety/This%20is%20your%20bike.pdf

page 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

jameshayes wrote: »
    I got a rimming from a member of the garda this morning because I was filtering (safely)

She has not heard of filtering and kept going on about me being on the wrong side of the road. I let her bash me so I could get on my way.

But when I went to the rules of the road to try find the section that condones it I cant find it? Anyone know where it is?
    Its not in it. filtering comes down to reading the conditions around you that are in the ROTR like the lane & road markings, traffic flow, traffic lights, signs etc. If you had plenty of room and it was a broken white line you crossed and not solid then no problem as long as you never forced your way through to the front and stopped over the white line at the front. Only thing is its hard to tell you if you did anything wrong unless I sat behind you at the time. What's ok today could be wrong tomorrow depending on certain things. Btw what you see as filtering safely could be interpreted differently by someone else.
    Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Motorcycle%20Safety/This%20is%20your%20bike.pdf

page 8

I'm printing that out to take with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Garda was being a knob. Obviously don't do it where you're crossing a solid white line.
    I never do it when cars are coming towards me, lot of bikers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

nuff said....:rolleyes:

had blonde hair too would you believe! If i was a misogynist I would have had a great time giving out about her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Carry on like that and you will get a ban from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

had blonde hair too would you believe! If i was a misogynist I would have had a great time giving out about her!

serves you right for riding through the kitchen in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

filtering is not illegal..its not reccommended but not illegal.
    being on the wrong side of the road is...
    unless that is the white line is broken, then you have every right to be over it..
    filtering I'm not sure is a legal term, I think that moving between traffic is how it's described in the book but its that long since I looked I can't be sure..

I say sorry and move on..normally i find if you don't act the clown they won't treat you like one..maybe she was having a bad day ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

page 8

Checked the RSA site and found this, page 34 mentions filtering as an offence. tl;dr so not sure if they're discussing making it an offence or not. The document I've linked is 2012 while James's is 2009

Del2005 wrote: »
    Checked the RSA site and found this, page 34 mentions filtering as an offence. tl;dr so not sure if they're discussing making it an offence or not. The document I've linked is 2012 while James's is 2009
    No, they're just using filtering as an example of how different offences could be bike only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i got knocked off my bike few weeks ago while filtering.

pedestrian crossing about 200 ft ahead, traffic light was red, no oncoming traffic, broken white line, car turned right as i passed without indicating or checking mirrors.

first two guards on the scene said i was in wrong, i said broken white line, way more than the req 50 ft from pedestrian crossing how could i be in wrong. they had no answer.

then a traffic cop on a bike arrived and the first two guards barked at him "the bike was in the wrong, overtook here.."

the traffic cop then calmly explained to the two know it alls that i was 'perfectly within my right' to overtake where i did. he said he personally wouldnt as he doesnt trust cars if there is a right hand turn ahead (the right hand turn was into a carpark)

so be careful lads when filtering, just cuz some 80 year old isnt indicating or looking, doesnt mean he isnt turning, or planning to swerve into a carpark at the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Notch000 wrote: »
    :( my renthal bars make it impossibru for me to filter at speed like that.

Could on the SV, worst was just clipping mirror to mirror but the feckin' renthals are more further out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There do seem to be rather a lot of stories about bikers in the Dublin area being hassled by a blonde female Garda. If these stories all refer to the same person it seems she's more than a bit of a chip on her shoulder.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Notch000 wrote: »

Ah yes, the oul wheelie into oncoming traffic @1:58. Not part of my repertoire...just yet. And it seems like that guy is aiming for the smallest gap every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ninja900 wrote: »
    There do seem to be rather a lot of stories about bikers in the Dublin area being hassled by a blonde

Some men have all the luck! :PAC:

If filtering was illegal and enforced no one would use their bike to commute.

There was a court case many years ago where something similar to here, biker filtering and car does unannounced U turn

It went to court, the driver adamant the biker was in the wrong. The judge was quoted on saying something along the lines of the biker didn't buy a bike to sit in traffic

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Some men have all the luck! :PAC:

If filtering was illegal and enforced no one would use their bike to commute.

There was a court case many years ago where something similar to here, biker filtering and car does unannounced U turn

It went to court, the driver adamant the biker was in the wrong. The judge was quoted on saying something along the lines of the biker didn't buy a bike to sit in traffic

If you use biker.ie the auld u-turn is a fairly common way to get hit, similar to copeyhagens guy doing a right hander.
    The whole "anticipate the hazzard and adjust your riding style", or "pretend every driver is out to get you" mantras people think sound good really worth a shíte in the real world when someone you're driving alongside just turns into you.
    You can be 5 seconds more behind him or ahead of him and you'll be grand, but if decides to do his turn just at the wrong time, you're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

+1 for above. the traffic cop on the bike actually said about 90% of accidents involving motorcycles he has seen were cars turning right without indicating / checking mirrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

The best way is to keep an eye on the front wheels as you pass. Everyone has to steer to pull out on you. Even so I have still had the bike hit on the panniers by one twat as I was sat just ahead of him. You can never anticipate everything no matter how good you are or how aware you are.

Pedesterians are another to look out for. If you're passing a line of cars you can see, but as you go past a bus/van/truck a pedesterian might be coming out, looking to their left thinking nothing is coming.
    Or of course someone letting someone out. If there's a gap between the traffic, slow down. Could be a house, car park or anything in on the left and the car you're passing is letting someone out. Again, they'll just be looking to their left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

PMS could also be a legitimate reason? check out the symptoms http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002474/

Advertisement