Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping dry - what do you wear?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Was out on a hunt canter on Sunday afternoon in wind, rain & hail and got soaked to the skin. Had light waterproof jacket but it soon soaked through. Have been looking to replace jacket & just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Ideally something fairly lightweight that keeps the water out & doesn't restrict when riding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alyrawr16

I heard about this product one of my aunties who horse ride with me has one and she highly recommends it, we both use it and i love it

the company called "mac in a sac' :p
    the link:
    http://www.macinasac.com/mac-in-a-sac-equine-jacket

kinda medium priced but its worth it instead of getting wet + it attaches to the saddle which i find really handy

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hi alyrawr16, thanks for the link.

Actually looked at those jackets when searching online today, so good to get a recommendation for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I just tend to wear standard water proof trousers (the ones you can pick up cheaply from hard-ware stores). Jacket wise, I've never done too well, apart from the basic rain jackets. Horseware jackets aren't too bad, as long as you don't put them through a tumble dryer or wear them in exceptionally heavy rain. If possible, I tend not to ride in the rain. The horses at home don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got a long wax coat from Equestrian Direct a long time ago and its the only coat that keeps me dry on the horse, I have a set of the winter chaps from horseware and a pair of Muck Boots that keep me very warm, couple it with thermal base layers and no problems with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The jockeys all wear ornella prosperi wet suits. If its really pouring down I don't ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Thanks for all the replies.

Was thinking about it & it is actually a year (and a week) since I last got that wet out riding, so I suppose once a year isn't so bad!

Was in TK Maxx yesterday & picked up a light stowaway Waterproof jacket - TargetDry, reduced to €18. Hopefully that will keep me going for at least another year :)

Had thought about a wax coat but wondered if it would be too heavy/restrictive when riding? And then what do you do if the weather brightens up? At least with the lighter jackets I find you don't get too hot or you can take them off & roll them & tie them around your waist.

Know what you mean about not riding if it's lashing. But on Sunday the morning was fine & even up to the minute we set off we were all debating whether to bother with a coat or jacket. Then not 10 minutes later, halfway across first field and horizontal hailstones, followed by torrential rain & cold high winds for 2 hours :(

Advertisement