Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROPOSED WIND FARMS

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

Eiriu wrote: »
    I will wait until the process to begin in earnest.

The CEO of Greenwire has been quoted as saying that the turbines will "boost tourism in the midlands"- is he serious?

Oh and you can see the whole of the county from the top of that hill.

I don't think any permission will be granted anywhere near me anyway to be honest. There will be too many complaints, all other arguments aside.

I don't think it is correct to attribute that comment to the CEO of Element Power as it sounds much more like the CEO of Mainstream but I'm open to correction.

Eiriu to be fair you are coming across like a NIMBY I'm afraid and you can complain as much as you like but if the complaints are without merit then they will not be upheld. Simply saying you can see the whole county, is this accurate?, is not sufficient to stop wind turbines being built. As for tourism and wind farms: http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/3_Research_Insights/4_Visitor_Insights/Visitor-Attitudes-on-the-Environment.pdf?ext=.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

joela wrote: »
    I don't think it is correct to attribute that comment to the CEO of Element Power as it sounds much more like the CEO of Mainstream but I'm open to correction.

Eiriu to be fair you are coming across like a NIMBY I'm afraid and you can complain as much as you like but if the complaints are without merit then they will not be upheld. Simply saying you can see the whole county, is this accurate?, is not sufficient to stop wind turbines being built. As for tourism and wind farms: http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/3_Research_Insights/4_Visitor_Insights/Visitor-Attitudes-on-the-Environment.pdf?ext=.pdf

Defn: NIMBY: is a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development because it is close to them, often with the connotation that such residents believe that the developments are needed in society but should be further away. Opposing residents themselves are sometimes called Nimbies.

Defn: Society

a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.

I don't think supplying power to England will benefit my local community or society.

Therefore your NINBY argument lacks any substance. I shouldn't need to point that out to you.

So how will these wind farms benefit Westmeath?

I must look up some wind farm tours for my Christmas getaway.

Also, why are windfarms needed by Irish society, but not British society?

That tourism report does not mean anything. Does anyone take any government board report seriously?
    Especially Failte Ireland. Actually having read it, I would seriously question the academic merits of this study. Definitely wouldn't be published in any serious academic journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

Defn: NIMBY: is a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development because it is close to them, often with the connotation that such residents believe that the developments are needed in society but should be further away. Opposing residents themselves are sometimes called Nimbies.

Defn: Society

a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.

I don't think supplying power to England will benefit my local community or society.

Therefore your NINBY argument lacks any substance. I shouldn't need to point that out to you.

So how will these wind farms benefit Westmeath?

I must look up some wind farm tours for my Christmas getaway.

Also, why are windfarms needed by Irish society, but not British society?

That tourism report does not mean anything. Does anyone take any government board report seriously?
    Especially Failte Ireland. Actually having read it, I would seriously question the academic merits of this study. Definitely wouldn't be published in any serious academic journal.

Yep Nimby, in fact I would go so far as to say you are a BANANA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY#BANANA

The county councils will receive huge amounts of money for rates, good for Westmeath?
    The local communities will have access to the community gain fund which is part of the SID process and which will provide money for local projects.
    The UK has wind farms, they just don't have enough to meet their 2020 targets and therefore are in the market for renewable energy. Lots of things get exported to the UK, do you object to them too?
    The landowners will receive a substantial sum of money for turbines and roads on their lands. Landowners with money is good for the rest of the community as they will spend it in local businesses.
    Have you a better study on tourism? It was a simple study, you are hardly expecting full statistical analysis for something like that are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I will wait until the process to begin in earnest.

The CEO of Greenwire has been quoted as saying that the turbines will "boost tourism in the midlands"- is he serious?

Oh and you can see the whole of the county from the top of that hill.

I don't think any permission will be granted anywhere near me anyway to be honest. There will be too many complaints, all other arguments aside.

FALSE
    You cannot see anything past Lough Derravarragh to the east ! there is still quite a bit of County up there too.

Not to harp on about it, but there has been no mention of Uisneach being part of the scope, and even if it was it would be subject to the full rigors of Archaeological impact and investigation. There are plenty of other hills around the county that would have the same sort of wind exposures.

I think that the turbines would be relatively tourism neutral, it won't keep many people away, but it won't attract many either, lets face it, the midlands is not exactly a tourist Mecca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Have to agree with AngryHippie re the tourists - they are few and far between and I can't see why a tourist who makes the effort to go to the midlands would be bothered by windmills.

If anything a windmill farm adds something dramatic imo to the vista making a plain landscape something new. Much rather a wind farm anyhow compared to dirty peat burning stations.

• Advertisement

joela wrote: »
    Yep Nimby, in fact I would go so far as to say you are a BANANA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY#BANANA

The county councils will receive huge amounts of money for rates, good for Westmeath?
    The local communities will have access to the community gain fund which is part of the SID process and which will provide money for local projects.
    The UK has wind farms, they just don't have enough to meet their 2020 targets and therefore are in the market for renewable energy. Lots of things get exported to the UK, do you object to them too?
    The landowners will receive a substantial sum of money for turbines and roads on their lands. Landowners with money is good for the rest of the community as they will spend it in local businesses.
    Have you a better study on tourism? It was a simple study, you are hardly expecting full statistical analysis for something like that are you?

How do you know what I am? The answer is you simply do not.

If you are willing to state what I am, when you don't know it.

What else will you claim, without really knowing?

pawrick wrote: »

If anything a windmill farm adds something dramatic imo to the vista making a plain landscape something new. Much rather a wind farm anyhow compared to dirty peat burning stations.

See we are very different; I myself love an unspoiled view, free from anything man-made.

No-one is suggesting that we build peat burning stations to service England.

Nuclear power is the real answer to our energy problems, when we are mature enough as a society to use it. It is inevitable.

Do you really see society's energy needs being serviced by windfarms when oil becomes uneconomical.

FALSE
    You cannot see anything past Lough Derravarragh to the east ! there is still quite a bit of County up there too.

Not to harp on about it, but there has been no mention of Uisneach being part of the scope, and even if it was it would be subject to the full rigors of Archaeological impact and investigation. There are plenty of other hills around the county that would have the same sort of wind exposures.

I think that the turbines would be relatively tourism neutral, it won't keep many people away, but it won't attract many either, lets face it, the midlands is not exactly a tourist Mecca

I agree with all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I agree with all of this.

Your posts are getting more ridiculous.:rolleyes:
    Your arguement shifts about from being anti windfarm near the Hill of Uisneach to being against generating electricity for the British.
    Now you appear to just being anti wind generated energy and you're pro nuclear energy.
    Now you are against anything man made spoiling your view but you support a nuclear power plant.:confused:
    FYI
    There is an interconnector between Ireland and the UK. Excess electricity generated here can be sold to the UK and we can also import electricity from the UK if required. Therefore any electricity generated here can benefit us at home ever if it's generated for the UK.

Clarify for us what exactly it is that you have a problem with.
    Is it the British, windfarms in general, your view being spoiled or something else?

I'd add I also think your just a WUM.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Your posts are getting more ridiculous.:rolleyes:
    Your arguement shifts about from being anti windfarm near the Hill of Uisneach to being against generating electricity for the British.
    Now you appear to just being anti wind generated energy and you're pro nuclear energy.
    Now you are against anything man made spoiling your view but you support a nuclear power plant.:confused:
    FYI
    There is an interconnector between Ireland and the UK. Excess electricity generated here can be sold to the UK and we can also import electricity from the UK if required. Therefore any electricity generated here can benefit us at home ever if it's generated for the UK.

Clarify for us what exactly it is that you have a problem with.
    Is it the British, windfarms in general, your view being spoiled or something else?

I'd add I also think your just a WUM.

I have a problem with windfarms being built in Westmeath to provide power for Britain. When Britain will not allow them be built in Britain.

This is my main problem. Is there something unnatural about my argument?

My argument has probably confused you. That is not my fault. But things are not always either black or white. The beauty is in the paradoxes.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I feel very strongly about this. You just can't beat my argument so you resort to calling me names or a wind up merchant. I haven't made any personal attacks.

How do you honestly think the world will generate power in 200 years time? Its little over one hundred years since the car was invented.
    The answer is Nuclear Power. Think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I have a problem with windfarms being built in Westmeath to provide power for Britain. When Britain will not allow them be built in Britain.

This is my main problem. Is there something unnatural about my argument?

My argument has probably confused you. That is not my fault. But things are not always either black or white. The beauty is in the paradoxes.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I feel very strongly about this. You just can't beat my argument so you resort to calling me names or a wind up merchant. I haven't made any personal attacks.

How do you honestly think the world will generate power in 200 years time? Its little over one hundred years since the car was invented.
    The answer is Nuclear Power. Think about it.
    I was confused because you were hiding the true reason for your opposition behind feigned concern for the enviorable impact of these windfarms.
    Now I know the truth, I'm outta here. Good luck. Educate youself a bit about both the buying and selling of electricity between Ireland and Britain.
    Regarding nuclear power, I thought about it over 30 years ago. I haven't changed my mind and you won't do it for me.

To those who have a genuine concern about the impact of these farms, I may possibly support them, but that would very much depend on the facts presented and not hysteria about selling power to the British.
    Bye, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ok there's a crowd hopeing to put literaly thousands of turbines up in the midlands , they reckon over 650 farmers will have turbines on their land (and payments) . It was being talked about on mon crief this afternoon.... Now that 'll be impressive... Possibly intrusive, cos it's so flat... Still think it's a good thing though..
    I think they were saying two years of studies, ( windspeeds, environmental impact, bird life) then planning and be building ( abd exporting) by 2018...think big ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I was confused because you were hiding the true reason for your opposition behind feigned concern for the enviorable impact of these windfarms.
    Now I know the truth, I'm outta here. Good luck. Educate youself a bit about both the buying and selling of electricity between Ireland and Britain.
    Regarding nuclear power, I thought about it over 30 years ago. I haven't changed my mind and you won't do it for me.

To those who have a genuine concern about the impact of these farms, I may possibly support them, but that would very much depend on the facts presented and not hysteria about selling power to the British.
    Bye, bye.

You thought about it thirty years ago. Thirty years has passed. Yet you will cling to something which you decided then. Are you aware that change is the only constant?

I'm not a supporter of nuclear power. It is inevitable though.

Buying and selling electricity has nothing to do with me. Why would I educate myself about that?

You claim yet again to know why I am complaining against windfarms and say that you won't continue the argument because of that.

You simply cannot think of anything to say. So you claim you know something. But you are misguided in this.

I am against these monstrosities being built in the county. Will they have lights on top of them? If that is the case we will be reminded of them both at night and during the day.

I would advise against trying to construct these wind-farms in Westmeath. If you want to make money, invest in Uranium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

See we are very different; I myself love an unspoiled view, free from anything man-made.

No-one is suggesting that we build peat burning stations to service England.

Nuclear power is the real answer to our energy problems, when we are mature enough as a society to use it. It is inevitable.

Do you really see society's energy needs being serviced by windfarms when oil becomes uneconomical.

eh, no

I would suggest having a read about fukoshima, chernobyl and three mile island if you want to get more information on why Nuclear power as it exists today is not the answer to the energy crisis.
    Add to that the fact that it takes more energy to extract & purify Uranium than it actually provides between Fuel rod and toxic waste states....

The answer to our energy needs will have to be a combination of all of the renewable sources we have at our disposal, and possibly some as yet uninvented technology (possibly algae based)

Fact of the matter is, renewables make sense, as they are....renewable. All other sources are finite, and as such will run out, with prices increasing as the supply diminishes. We are seeing that happen with Oil at the moment, its slowly but surely climbing, year on year, all the while filling the atmosphere with CO2. Is your answer really to build a load of Nuclear Power plants and leave a legacy of toxic waste for the next generation to deal with ?

eh, no

I would suggest having a read about fukoshima, chernobyl and three mile island if you want to get more information on why Nuclear power as it exists today is not the answer to the energy crisis.
    Add to that the fact that it takes more energy to extract & purify Uranium than it actually provides between Fuel rod and toxic waste states....

The answer to our energy needs will have to be a combination of all of the renewable sources we have at our disposal, and possibly some as yet uninvented technology (possibly algae based)

Fact of the matter is, renewables make sense, as they are....renewable. All other sources are finite, and as such will run out, with prices increasing as the supply diminishes. We are seeing that happen with Oil at the moment, its slowly but surely climbing, year on year, all the while filling the atmosphere with CO2. Is your answer really to build a load of Nuclear Power plants and leave a legacy of toxic waste for the next generation to deal with ?

I don't have an answer. It has yet to happen.

Your talking about energy sources that have yet to be invented.
    We already rely on nuclear energy- the Sun.

As a great prophet once said - don' be afraid of atomic energy.

However, I don't know if the answer will be atomic energy and neither do you.

However this is a bit off topic. I'd prefer to discuss the windfarms. They are the present discussion.

Advertisement