Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for banner ad on website?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fc2060

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a photography website- http://www.photoblog.ie

Would having a banner ad on my site effect my SEO in any way?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

It is my understanding that if you have a banner ad or are selling a link from your site that this will effect your SEO or ranking with Google. That is unless you have a "no-follow tag on each link. This is a means of telling Google that the link is not there for SEO purposes.

Generally the reason why somebody wants to pay you for a link from your site to their site is to gain "link juice", or to gain Google ranking

If someone wants to pay me for a link on my site I tell them I'm happy to do this as long as there is a "no-follow" tag. generally I do not hear anything back from them.

At the end of the day it depends how important Google ranking is and there are some sites who get away with selling links but most don't.

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

fc2060 wrote: »
    It is my understanding that if you have a banner ad or are selling a link from your site that this will effect your SEO or ranking with Google. That is unless you have a "no-follow tag on each link. This is a means of telling Google that the link is not there for SEO purposes.

Generally the reason why somebody wants to pay you for a link from your site to their site is to gain "link juice", or to gain Google ranking

If someone wants to pay me for a link on my site I tell them I'm happy to do this as long as there is a "no-follow" tag. generally I do not hear anything back from them.

At the end of the day it depends how important Google ranking is and there are some sites who get away with selling links but most don't.

Fred
    Thanks for this info.
    It is as simple as the tag beig "no-follow" ?

My understanding is that a no follow tag, is amongst other things an indication to Google that you are not trying to get ranking benefit from the link. the experts refer to it as "link juice"

Certainly selling banner ads on your site with the normal links to the advertising site is a breach of the Google quality guidelines

My own site has just recovered from a manual penalty by Google due to hidden text on the page which I was not aware of. this has been disastrous for my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

fc2060 - i'm not trying to wind you up here - but how did you not know about the hidden text? Genuinely curious, a hack? developers being "cleaver"?

C

I had no idea there was hidden text on my site. At one point I asked the developer to display certain content beside the price. A week or two later I asked him to remove it but instead of removing it he hid it. He did this in all honesty and without the knowledge that this was in breach of the Google quality guidelines. This content was quite keyword rich and so would really have annoyed Google.

It has been an expensive lesson. Over the last six months I have asked and paid for five different companies (Ireland, the UK, the USA and India) to tell me what the problem was and none of them spotted it. The message from Google itself was very bland and unhelpful. It merely said your site is in breach of the Google quality guidelines. We resubmitted for reconsideration having made various changes five times and each time we got back the same crappy message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Its strange - most times i have a look at a site that have been warned/peanilised: Check links, copyscape to see if its knocking off copy and then on a few pages just hit
    "ctrl a" surprising how much what reveals at times

Least its being sorted.

Thanks for the info

C

Advertisement