Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden H posts with shiplap panels and kickboard query

• 06-11-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I dont want to spend much on creating a border with my neighbour as my dog is getting into his garden. the problem is there is an existing old metal fence from the 70's up to 4 foot seperating us which has trees and shrubs growing through the middle of it. so what i wanted to do ultimately was clear back all the trees and remove the existing fence and put in concrete uprights with panels and base boards in which will cost a fortune.

so now that my dog is breaking in i have decided to build up against the existing fence thus losing a few inchs from my border but will keep the dog in. so my questing is this. if i buy wooden h posts, shiplap panels and some base boards. how much do you think i could get to line 64 foot and any idea on costing? i know it wont last long as it will rot but it will work for a few years. how far down should the wooden h posts go into the ground and how much concrete should i set them into? should i bother with the wooden base boards or just put the panels down toe ground level? i want the quickest cheapest solution. i know my neighbour wont share the cost. sorry for the rambling but would appreciate some feedback. this might be better in the gardening forum. move it if you wish mods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

if i buy wooden h posts, shiplap panels and some base boards. how much do you think i could get to line 64 foot and any idea on costing? i know it wont last long as it will rot but it will work for a few years. how far down should the wooden h posts go into the ground and how much concrete should i set them into?
    Wooden posts don't last any length of time when set into concrete, if you use wooden posts make sure you use the steel feet that you concrete in and the post is bolted in to the foot.
    This keeps the wood off the ground and away from the concrete making it a lot more durable.
    Could you dig a trench and bury some mesh in an ' L' shape and wire that to the existing fence?
    That will stop digging and still retain the look of your fence.
    It will be a lot cheaper.

Advertisement