Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice C-41 B&W film?

• 06-11-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this counts as a gear thread, will try main forum and I'm sure the mods can move it if needs be.

Can anyone recommend some nice c41 b&w films? I've just run a roll of neopan 400 through my new Nikon FE and quite liked it. My local lab will only process c41, so I'm wondering if there are any other nice film stocks to try?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you used neopan 400CN?
    XP2 would usually be the next one to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

There are no real nice ones. One has a green cast, one has a more orange cast. It's colour film with the dyes removed to put it simply. If your going to scan them or hand print them they are less grainy. Buy a developing kit, chemicals and a dark bag and do it yourself at home. Better results and it works out about €1 a roll to do yourself when taking chemicals into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Not sure if this counts as a gear thread, will try main forum and I'm sure the mods can move it if needs be.

Can anyone recommend some nice c41 b&w films? I've just run a roll of neopan 400 through my new Nikon FE and quite liked it. My local lab will only process c41, so I'm wondering if there are any other nice film stocks to try?

All the C-41 B&Ws look much the same, just pick whichever you can find and run with it. Ilford, Fuji, and Kodak all have 400 speed chromogenic B&W emulsions. I've used Ilford's XP2 before with nice results...

2291300134_0a1d356e0c.jpg

Ultimately though proper B&W I think looks nicer. Hard to beat a roll of tri-x. Spend a gainful half hour in gunnes, Get yourself a development tank and some chems and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Is it not difficult though, getting the temps right and all that... I'm not very handy, and my science experiments in school & college never quite got the expected results!

Here's one from the roll I shot that I quite like...

45DE832AEC4B47EBA77202ACCFC94F72-0000315975-0003063640-00800L-F3260BDF655C4781A6A31CEC6B2994BD.jpg

you used neopan 400CN?
    XP2 would usually be the next one to try.

Yep was 400CN, I used XP2 in my medium format, I think the tone was quite similar to the 400CN.

Maybe as per Daire I'll have to get a pot and a bag!

• Advertisement

Is it not difficult though, getting the temps right and all that... I'm not very handy, and my science experiments in school & college never quite got the expected results!

Nah, not really. B&W film developement is by and large pretty forgiving. You can even do something like stand dev with rodinal or use 2 part developers like Diafine where the times and temperatures are mostly irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Developing yourself is pretty easy, way cheaper, and not much gear is required. I also prefer real B&W films to the C41 versions.

thefizz wrote: »
    Developing yourself is pretty easy, way cheaper, and not much gear is required. I also prefer real B&W films to the C41 versions.

Hmm... will have to keep an eye out for the next workshop you are doing in the west!

Hmm... will have to keep an eye out for the next workshop you are doing in the west!

Will be in April, date to be confirmed soon :) But you can easily try developing a few films without taking any courses, plenty of tutorials online.

You're down the west ... We can assemble a shopping list for you so :D

Developing tank:
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=248

Thermometer:
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=262

Measuring jug (1L) for mixing and smaller 50ml one for more precise measurements
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=223

http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=233

Fixer:
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=81

If you don't have someplace dark to load film:
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=72&product_id=135

Probably isn't necessary if you have a room that you can make completely dark or a wardrobe, I spent about 3 years loading film onto reels in a wardrobe in my bedroom never a bother.

Developer:
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=139

That's rodinal. Only developer that thephotoshop has in stock that I'm familiar with, other people might recommend different ones. XTOL in particular is reputed to be a fine developer.

I have no connection at all with thephotoshop except for ordering stuff from them, but thefizz above is (I believe) the owner as well as running those courses so is probably good for a few questions as well ...

• Advertisement

If I ever need a sales rep you'll be top of the list Daire ;)

Of the developers I stock RO9, RO9 Special and Tmax would be easy to use liquid developers to start with in my opinion.

Thanks so much for the info guys, you may have just provided my christmas list this year!

Thanks so much for the info guys, you may have just provided my christmas list this year!

Oh .. and another reel. I have that same tank, and I only realised the other day that the reels that come with it don't expand to fit formats other than 35mm. EVERY OTHER REEL that I have does this except for these ones :-)
    If I ever need a sales rep you'll be top of the list Daire ;)

something something something 10% off my next purchase something something something :cool:

Oh .. and another reel. I have that same tank, and I only realised the other day that the reels that come with it don't expand to fit formats other than 35mm. EVERY OTHER REEL that I have does this except for these ones :-)

something something something 10% off my next purchase something something something :cool:

Thanks, would be handy to start doing dev from the bronica too!

Hi Daire, are you sure? I thought this was strange so checked my current stock and they open up for 120 as normal.

Hi Daire, are you sure? I thought this was strange so checked my current stock and they open up for 120 as normal.

really ? I'll have another go at them when I get home. I was trying to open them up to get some 35mm out, but I ended up having to bow the end and wind it out that way. The instructions recommend the same thing, and there's no mention of opening them up for 120 in the instructions (that I can remember) either. This is with the two reels that came with the tank, I also got one of those new AP reels from you as well, that clicks open as expected.

If they don't open, send them back and I'll replace them. I only sell the AP reels separately as they are cheaper and easier to use than the Paterson but that tank is a good deal considering it includes 2 reels. Let me know how you get on.

If they don't open, send them back and I'll replace them. I only sell the AP reels separately as they are cheaper and easier to use than the Paterson but that tank is a good deal considering it includes 2 reels. Let me know how you get on.

Yeah I'll check them again when I get home. Probably just didn't twist it hard enough, there was film in both of them at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've a paterson tank and reels. The reels do expand but they need a fairly strong twist to do it.

Yeah I stand corrected :) Both of them click apart. They just need a little more leverage than the ones I had hanging around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭goldiejam

+1 for developing your own.

Much greater selection of B/W films, also freedom to experiment with different developers/push/pull etc, cheaper in the long run too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

After you develop the film, do you print or scan the negs?

2x4 wrote: »

Always print.

Yeah I stand corrected :) Both of them click apart. They just need a little more leverage than the ones I had hanging around.

Glad their working for you Daire. What do you think of the AP reel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

2x4 wrote: »
    I always scan myself. I find I don't have the time to print much.

Advertisement