Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundgarden - King Animal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've heard it said often that they're not the best live, at least not since their reunification. I'd still go and see them given the chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

They certainly can be hit or miss live. I saw them in Madrid in May and have to say it was disappointing but they made up for it in Hyde Park. Fantastic gig.

Fingers crossed for a Dublin date next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I have to say this is the best album I've heard in years. I just can't stop playing it. I always thought they could never pass Superunknown and I'm not sure this does but it comes pretty close in my book.

Been Away Too Long is a classic opening song and to be honest it just gets better and better from there on. Particular favourites today are By Crooked Step, Blood on the Valley Floor (what a riff), Attrition, Worse Dreams...I just can't get enough of it at the moment. Cornell's 'solo' stuff like Halfway There might seem a bit out of place but it's still a great song.

I'm just so happy that they have come up with a brilliant effort after being away so long. Hope they do a gig here and if they do I hope it's a hell of a lot better than the last time they played!

Been listening to the album over and over and loving it. Really is a great album and the fact that the band did end on a bad note shines through. There's no sense that the album was compromised by various creative differences or arguments but rather a group of friends coming back together to record and enjoy one smothers company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Been listening to the album over and over and loving it. Really is a great album and the fact that the band did end on a bad note shines through. There's no sense that the album was compromised by various creative differences or arguments but rather a group of friends coming back together to record and enjoy one smothers company.

It's definitely a grower alright. While I did like it on first listen I now love it. I don't think it's as good as Superunknown but a great album nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Superunknown, for me, is their best album. This one is good. Good for a band who have been apart for more than 10 years. I don't hate all of Chris Cornell's solo stuff, so the hints of it in this album are a good thing. I mean, they are all hitting 50. I don't expect them to approach making an album the same way they did in the 90s........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

So, am a month into this and having loved it on first listen, it's now grown on me even more. Tracks which weren't my favourite in the first week are now high in my list. Nearly all the songs on the album are growers.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Fantastic, Listened to it once the first week I got it, wasn't completely sold, but right now It's all I'm listening to. It's good to hear a new rock album that sounds fresh on every listen

You guys should check out Big Wreck if you like SG. Their latest "Albatross" ain't bad.. more of a classic rock vibe on it, but yer man sounds very close to Chris Cornell...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

seachto7 wrote: »
    You guys should check out Big Wreck if you like SG. Their latest "Albatross" ain't bad.. more of a classic rock vibe on it, but yer man sounds very close to Chris Cornell...

Big Wreck would be much closer to a MOR sound, especially their earlier stuff. Thornley can slip into a Cornell-esque sound at times alright though.

Black Market Radio are another band that have some very Chris Cornell moments in their sound, but that is not so much of a surprise given the lead singer is Peter Cornell. :)

• Advertisement

Never heard of Black Market Radio. Never even knew Chris had a brother who sang in a band. He sounds very very like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Been listening to this album regularly since I started this thread, and I think the album is awesome. I loved Down On The Upside and for me, its like they've just continued without missing a step. Considering a break of 16 years, I dont think anyone could have expected much more.

Only track I'm not feeling is Halfway There, its something that would sound great in Cornell's solo set though. The album pretty much rocks hard from start to finish. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I totally agree with you RodgersLFC, the album is a great continuation after Down On The Upside (my favourite album).

Taree, non state actor, rowing, they're still able to write great songs. The Letterman performance was very lacklustre but the Jools Holland show performance of rusty cage was the best I've heard them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I heard "you are a tabula rasa (pronounced wrong) and I am the book" and I had to stop listening to it for now. That may be the single cringiest lyric in the world!

The first couple of songs didn't grab me but there seems to be some better stuff later on, once my stereo is back working I'm looking forward to giving it a proper blast! I liked some of DOTU and a continuation doesn't sound like a bad thing!

Advertisement