Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Dubai

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying for a job in Dubai.

I'm a woman, would go there on my own.

I would like to know how it is to live there. I know Dubai is quite liberal in comparison to other arab countries, but for sure it's not the same as say any european countries regarding overall culture.

So my main questions would be:

1. Is it possible for a woman to move freely everywhere without being in fear that it would come across inapprobriate or even being in danger of an attack?

2. as it gets very hot there, is there a beach life going on or again, is it approbriate/allowed for women to be at the beach in swimming dresses and going swimming for sure?

3. is it common to share apartment with others? for the first time arriving I would like to share with other people to not being too much on my own and help each other.

these would be my main question I can think of, but would be delighted about any other comments and important infos people would like to share who live there already or have lived there.

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Lived there as a married woman x 4 years, currently have single sister there x 5 years, she is a teacher, there is very little crime, its very safe.
    Are you going out as a teacher/nurse, normally choice of shared or single apartment, sharing is cheaper. You can freely go to the beach but from experience on Fridays at public beaches you can get starred at. When it gets hot you can stil go to the beach but its extemely unbearable, can be up to 50degrees, loads to do indoors in dubai.
    Dubai is the most liberal of all the arab countries, you dont have to wear abaya, or cover head. You can wear basically whatever you like, its very touristy, the only time that it is frowned upon to wear short sleeved tops etc would be during Ramadan, you must respect the culture at that time and refrain from eating/drinking in public, anyother questions can answer, can pm if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Hi Tara,

I lived there a few years ago and things have changed a bit, but not drastically so my answers below in red should still be relevant

Also I have sent you a PM where you can get a lot of information from people living there at the moment

Tom
    tara73 wrote: »
    Hey all,

1. Is it possible for a woman to move freely everywhere without being in fear that it would come across inapprobriate or even being in danger of an attack?

Yes no different to anywhere else, as already mentioned crime is very low, so not much reason to worry about been attacked. I felt safer walking any street in Dubai than anywhere else in the world that I have lived in.

2. as it gets very hot there, is there a beach life going on or again, is it approbriate/allowed for women to be at the beach in swimming dresses and going swimming for sure?

I agree with dizzymom, its too hot on the beaches in the summer, the sand would burn your feet to start with plus it can be very hazy in the summer, so the sun is not always visable. But this time of year the beaches are a great place to be, swimming is not a problem

3. is it common to share apartment with others? for the first time arriving I would like to share with other people to not being too much on my own and help each other.

Sharing a large house is a great way to get to know people, depending on your work your employers may arrange this for you.

these would be my main question I can think of, but would be delighted about any other comments and important infos people would like to share who live there already or have lived there.

thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

thanks a lot for your answers, very useful.

this tiny bits, like the sand is getting so hot in summer, you can't walk on, you don't realise if one havn't lived there...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlouise

Tara, did you go?? Thinking of it myself, answers to your questions are helpful thanks ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

hey,

no, I didn't. I realized it wouldn't be my cup of tea, I would have felt like an alien, I guess. too much an artificial place and the culture too different.
    Do you have a job offer there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

dizzymom wrote: »
    Lived there as a married woman x 4 years, currently have single sister there x 5 years, she is a teacher, there is very little crime, its very safe.
    Are you going out as a teacher/nurse, normally choice of shared or single apartment, sharing is cheaper. You can freely go to the beach but from experience on Fridays at public beaches you can get starred at. When it gets hot you can stil go to the beach but its extemely unbearable, can be up to 50degrees, loads to do indoors in dubai.
    Dubai is the most liberal of all the arab countries, you dont have to wear abaya, or cover head. You can wear basically whatever you like, its very touristy, the only time that it is frowned upon to wear short sleeved tops etc would be during Ramadan, you must respect the culture at that time and refrain from eating/drinking in public, anyother questions can answer, can pm if you wish

Hi DizzyMom,

You might be able to help me out. My gf (chartered engineer) and I (chartered accountant) are thinking on heading to Dubai for a few years...... the thing that is putting us off is the contrasting reports about unrelated males and females co-habiting.
    Whilst the law is clear, it seems it is rarely enforced. In your opinion are there a lot of ex-pats co-habiting freely out there and is it ok (once you are not causing trouble or come to the attention of the police)?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

My advice is, before you move anywhere, go there for a holiday and perhaps try to rent a place for a few weeks to see if you like it.

Going anywhere cold-turkey is a mistake imho.

I grew up in the middle east so have an affinity for the place, but it might not be your cup o' tea.

I lived in Victoria, Canada and loved the place for the first few weeks, but after 3 months I couldn't wait to leave. Found it pretty boring and snobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Noni Goggins

Co-habiting with your partner is absolutely no issue in Dubai provided you are relatively discreet about it. A lot of people I know do it and none of them have had any issues.

Enjoy living in sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

Co-habiting with your partner is absolutely no issue in Dubai provided you are relatively discreet about it. A lot of people I know do it and none of them have had any issues.

Enjoy living in sin!

Cheers for that....ha living in sin, nothing new there, we've been doing that in the UK for the last few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

If you look for largely expat area's of Dubai like The Greens, Downtown or places along that line you will be fine as this happens in most of them.

But if you haven't been to Dubai I would recommend as mentioned below take a holiday here and see what you think. I've been here for 3 years and love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement