Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Primary school students easier to manage?

• 06-11-2012 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

In the debate of primary vs secondary teaching, I have a question:

Are primary school students easier to manage and engage in general? I have a feeling that secondary students would be harder to enthuse in a classroom situation especially when it's per subject... In primary I would imagine it's easier to get them excited/involved? Are primary school students easier to manage behaviour-wise, as in secondary they are older, more inclined to be aggressive with the teacher...?

Can anyone talk about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

I've always thought it really depends on the teacher. Give me 30 hyperactive kids who can't sit still or focus for more than 5 minutes at a time and I'll tackle it no bother, but I have friends who are secondary teachers that would have a nervous breakdown at the very thought of it.
    Likewise, though they would prefer the challenge of motivating teenagers, I'd be completely out of my depth in that situation - my worst nightmare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I agree with Cailín, it depends on the teacher. I have worked with secondary pupils, but much prefer my primary gang. Some teachers would go nuts trying to sort out 36 junior infants-all who want teacher right now, to themselves, all day,who can't read or write and don't really want to sit or listen to one another either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

I'm baffled as to what way to go really...

Primary: You could have a lovely class, and they could all be engaged (an older class hopefully, 3rd upwards) Or you could be stuck with 30-odd unruly children for the whole day
    Secondary: You could have a few different lovely classes who are all enthused/engaged by your teaching... Or you could have several different classes of students full of attitude and who find everything boring
    what do you do when you're in this predicament of which strand to choose!!!! aarrggh!!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

If you're trying to decide on a career, I'd say the best thing you can do is try to get some experience in each setting. It can be hassle with garda vetting and the like, but it should really help you make up your mind. A friend of mine has been observing in a primary school recently, and it has made him more determined than ever to make it his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

Thanks will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I can handle my 25 rambunctious 6th years with ease. However, I'm pretty sure I would fall to pieces with 25 five year old children. In any case I love my subject and I think I'd hate the level of pastoral care involved with primary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

It depends on which age group you actually prefer to be around in the first instance. I hate small children, and would never in a million years have the patience to mammy around 5 year olds, whereas I love teaching teenagers because you can actually have a real conversation with them and they can do things for themselves. Behaviour wise, the younger kids would be less likely to talk back or be aggro, but it would take soooo much more effort getting them to take out their books, find the correct pencils, now turn the page, and they can demand way more personal attention from you.

Advertisement