Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite

• 06-11-2012 1:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Think it happens every couple of years, but they are trying to come up with and updated Elite yet again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

They have to actually come up with a new version at some point...hopefully.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

RPS have a bit on the kickstarter - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/06/elite-returns-with-massive-kickstarter-goal/

"They" is David Braben so it's the man himself but he needs to improve his pitch I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Loved Elite back in the day (Frontier not so much!) on the old green-screen Amstrad CPC 464 so would love a remake that was faithful to the gameplay and spirit of the original, but I'd need more than a blog entry to part with cash for it.

Looking at the kickstarter article though I must be wrong as it seems there's a fair few people shelling out 3/4 figure sums without so much as a screenshot to go on! :eek:

Global Recession? What recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I love plenty of modern games, but I wouldn't chuck money at any of them to see them developed. This on the other hand is part of my childhood. I hope this gets off the ground, so I will be throwing a bit of coin in soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm surprised he still has a working XPS M1710!!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Grew up playing Frontier (the flawed masterpiece that it was) and have a great deal of love for elite, but there's not a hope in hell I'd put my money anywhere near this. He's been saying that they've been working on Elite for years and years, but we've never seen anything.

So now he puts forward this kickstarter, curiously not long after Chris Roberts (fantastic) pitch, and shows absolutely nothing, no concept art, no alpha demo, nothing. I think Braben lost his mojo a long time ago, unfortunately. RIP Elite :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm surprised he still has a working XPS M1710!!

Yep, my M1710 is mostly harmless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Loved Elite back in the day (Frontier not so much!) on the old green-screen Amstrad CPC 464 so would love a remake that was faithful to the gameplay and spirit of the original, but I'd need more than a blog entry to part with cash for it.

Looking at the kickstarter article though I must be wrong as it seems there's a fair few people shelling out 3/4 figure sums without so much as a screenshot to go on! :eek:

Global Recession? What recession?

Well, they're not "shelling out" anything really. They're pledging, and the pledges don't go through at all unless they hit their minimum funding level. Sure, it could get fully funded and never get released, but Braben's credibility is riding on this. There'll be a powerful incentive for him to deliver or he'll never be able to do this again.

They've added a video pitch and concept art- and they clearly have a working prototype of the game running in the background. Would be nice to see more though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Have a feeling they're not going to make the target; the franchise is a lot less famous than the old Lucasart's graphic adventures, and in stark contrast with the detailed and fun pitch the Shadowrun Returns team made, this one is fairly bare-bones. Would love to see a new Elite all the same.

Kinski wrote: »
    Have a feeling they're not going to make the target; the franchise is a lot less famous than the old Lucasart's graphic adventures, and in stark contrast with the detailed and fun pitch the Shadowrun Returns team made, this one is fairly bare-bones. Would love to see a new Elite all the same.

I wouldn't be so sure. Crowd funding projects tend to get a lot of funding in the first few days to a week, then a tail off in the middle and usually get the majority of their funds in the last stretch. Updates and general promotion will tend to give boosts. I helped with a FundIt campaign recently and this was very much the pattern.

Their current rate is not bad- they're at 31% and it's starting to tail off a bit as they finish their first week. There's really nothing to indicate they'll fall short of their target. However, I do think they'll need to give us more if they want to push it over 100%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement